Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times

Advertisements

I love how supportive most of you are of your kids (or other people's)! My parents spent my teenage years telling me repeatedly that I was fat, had bad skin, bad hair, couldn't dress myself, was lazy and basically a total waste of skin and then expressed surprise when I graduated that I had no self-esteem, no self-worth, no pride and no confidence. So good for you who never have or never will tell your children these things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
I never understood how some people with ugly kids don't know they're ugly. I don't mean like just not particularly cute but really bizarre looking. People are just weird like that, like how girls never seem to know their friends are ugly. I could probably tell if my kid is ugly, I think a lot of my cousins are ugly.

If my kid was busted and wanted to be a model, I'd still never tell them they're ugly though, that's mean spirited. I'd just kind of push it off and not take them to any modeling things and let them forget about it. Also not every model is good looking, I can't remember her name but she's a tall dark black lady who's almost bald and has an ugly face and I remember she was on all the magazine covers in the 90s.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I never understood how some people with ugly kids don't know they're ugly. I don't mean like just not particularly cute but really bizarre looking. People are just weird like that, like how girls never seem to know their friends are ugly. I could probably tell if my kid is ugly, I think a lot of my cousins are ugly.

If my kid was busted and wanted to be a model, I'd still never tell them they're ugly though, that's mean spirited. I'd just kind of push it off and not take them to any modeling things and let them forget about it. Also not every model is good looking, I can't remember her name but she's a tall dark black lady who's almost bald and has an ugly face and I remember she was on all the magazine covers in the 90s.
Alek Wek,that's her name.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Quote:

Alek Wek,that's her name.
I don't see Alek Wek as ugly. Sure, she doesn't fit the (White) American conventional standard of beauty... but she's definitely got that something that attracts attention. So yes, she is attractive.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Also not every model is good looking, I can't remember her name but she's a tall dark black lady who's almost bald and has an ugly face and I remember she was on all the magazine covers in the 90s.
You've got to be kidding?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't see Alek Wek as ugly. Sure, she doesn't fit the (White) American conventional standard of beauty... but she's definitely got that something that attracts attention. So yes, she is attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You've got to be kidding?
She's definitely ugly, she has a face like a man. She succeeded because the fashion industry and Oprah pushed her down our throats to try to change conceptions of beauty in America. I don't know any man who thought she was hot. If someone that busted looking can make a living as a model, anyone can.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Alek Wek is stunning! Which goes to show beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
She's definitely 'different'.

but look at the crap she has to wear

she looks about 6'3 105 lbs.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 PM

65 posts, read 127,151 times
I would get a brown bag, make two holes and put it over the kid's head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know,stupid title.
What made me start the thread was reading something in Ann Lander's book.
Someone had wrote their child wanted to become a model or actress,but that she wasnt particularly attractive.
Ann told the parent to help develop the child's other talents instead,and encourage those versus the ones having to do with beauty.

Do you agree with that advice? Part of me wants to,because I was an unattractive child,and I wished my Mom had been more direct in telling me instead of hearing it from others. I would have been "hardened" already.
I'm not talking about being brash,but she could have told me in a loving way.
Part of me doesn't agree with that because that's dashing a child's dream,which I hate doing

Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think Iwould encourage my child with the natural talents he or she has. Do children tease this child at school? I also think I would find ways to to help build my child's self esteem with their looks. That could be a different haircut, new more stylish eyeglasses, new clothes that other children their age wears, and always tell the child how much you love them and that they are beautiful inside and out.
I guess that's it....build the child's self esteem with new,stylish clothes,a new haircut,etc.
Never thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting