Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I also agree with the sister and BIL. Why take chances?
agreed. That is why you should never leave your house, never drive a car, never fly a plane. Never eat Sushi. Distill all water into your house. . .because chances in life are just insane.

Quote:
Just to do someone an ongoing favor (not sure if the OP stated whether there was an end in sight for these pickups. Truly, this seems a like asking WAY too much from family).

Also, the fact that the social work/justice system is overloaded doesn't deny the horrible stigma for someone even when there are "rumors."
source?
How big a chance do you see here? what is the number of people wrongly accused per year?

Or did you hear about it from a friend of a friend that it happened to someone.

Quote:

Make amends with your sister and don't lose any more sleep over this.

well that is true. . .I suppose. I mean you aren't convert BIL from being an idiot, so you have to live with him. Regardless how stupid he is. . your stuck with the dullard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
It doesn't really matter how many people are wrongly accused of being a "sexual predator" if it happens to you! I would say the chances of that happening to the OP's BIL are fair to middling, as long as this child continues to talk about it and he continues to drive the child home from school alone in his car, spend time with her alone, etc.

Yes, I do know someone who was falsely accused of "touching a child's private parts".

Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
Another perspective. This child is in need of parenting and such and it is time for the uncle to back out.

Today it is sexual predators comment, tomorrow it can be the latest of the latest she has heard or read. Doesn't matter. Mom and Dad need to take over. It is a big world out there and a lot of things parents need to address now adays.

and nowhere did aunt and uncle say they didn't want to be with niece.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I'm still trying to figure out when 7-year-old children knew what the word "urban" meant, let alone would even -think- to look up urban myths in an encyclopedia (or search it on google). When I was 7, I might've wanted to look up "cats" and "ice cream" and "mickey mouse" and maybe - "how to skip rope like a boss." The very vague, conceptual, non-tangable notion of "urban legends" or "urban myths" never would've occurred to my 7-year-old brain to even contemplate, let alone investigate.

If I had heard someone mention it, it would've been an adult, and I would've thought "oh - new sound. I wonder if they'll bring me my ice cream soon." Never would I have thought, "Oh - new sound - I must research this and discern its significance in my life!"

Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm still trying to figure out when 7-year-old children knew what the word "urban" meant, let alone would even -think- to look up urban myths in an encyclopedia (or search it on google). When I was 7, I might've wanted to look up "cats" and "ice cream" and "mickey mouse" and maybe - "how to skip rope like a boss." The very vague, conceptual, non-tangable notion of "urban legends" or "urban myths" never would've occurred to my 7-year-old brain to even contemplate, let alone investigate.

If I had heard someone mention it, it would've been an adult, and I would've thought "oh - new sound. I wonder if they'll bring me my ice cream soon." Never would I have thought, "Oh - new sound - I must research this and discern its significance in my life!"
Kids are exposed to a lot more than things now and definitely more advanced with technology. I work in tech support and have had kids as young as 7 or 8 call me. Its pretty amazing really. Its usually because their mom or dad have no idea how to use/fix whatever gadget they got the kids so the kids call themselves.

I am still having a hard time making the connection of a child talking about sexual predators and people making the connection that an uncle would be accused of inappropriate behavior. Children that are abused are often sworn to secrecy, withdrawn and afraid of being vocal.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Kids are exposed to a lot more than things now and definitely more advanced with technology. I work in tech support and have had kids as young as 7 or 8 call me. Its pretty amazing really. Its usually because their mom or dad have no idea how to use/fix whatever gadget they got the kids so the kids call themselves.

I am still having a hard time making the connection of a child talking about sexual predators and people making the connection that an uncle would be accused of inappropriate behavior. Children that are abused are often sworn to secrecy, withdrawn and afraid of being vocal.
I wasn't questioning the kids' use of technology. I'm questioning the kids' use of words like "urban," and phrases like "urban legend" or "urban myth." Six year old kids don't -think- about urban myths. The concept is an adult concept. Little kids aren't as mentally capable of thinking in abstracts as adults, or even older children. They lack the brain function.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Quote:

Having a 7 year old that can spell,"sexual predator" would be unusual. Now she is probably trying to figure out why Mommie is upset.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:

If they were talking about it at school, she'd know the words, even if she didn't know their meaning. The reason 7 year olds talking like that is a red flag to school people is that kids that age aren't supposed to know what those words mean.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If they were talking about it at school, she'd know the words, even if she didn't know their meaning. The reason 7 year olds talking like that is a red flag to school people is that kids that age aren't supposed to know what those words mean.
A few years ago, after a talk to the fourth grade girls at my school about "becoming a woman", the nurse asked if anyone had any questions. One of the girls asked a very graphic question about oral sex in front of all of the other girls. Of course, it through up a huge red flag. Later, when talking to the nurse & female principal privately, the 10 year old girl asked several other sexual questions with details that most kids didn't know until high school (or, in my case, until college).

By law, any possible abuse must be reported. Thank heaven the little girl had not been sexual abused but it turned out that she had been sneaking downstairs late at night and watching the Playboy Channel (or whatever) on TV after her parents were asleep. So, it turned out to be a different type of abuse/neglect.

Any red flags need to be checked out.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-17-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A few years ago, after a talk to the fourth grade girls at my school about "becoming a woman", the nurse asked if anyone had any questions. One of the girls asked a very graphic question about oral sex in front of all of the other girls. Of course, it threw up a huge red flag. Later, when talking to the nurse & female principal privately, the girl asked several other sexual questions with details that most kids didn't know until high school (or in my case, college).

By law, any possible abuse must be reported. Thank heaven the little girl had not been sexual abused but it turned out that she had been sneaking downstairs late at night and watching the Playboy Channel (or whatever) on TV after her parents were asleep. So, it turned out to be a different type of abuse/neglect.

Any red flags need to be checked out.
Well, yeah. I don't know where you got the idea I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting