Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM

384 posts, read 594,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
You're amazing. Any chance you would ever write out what you use and how you've handled it all with specifics? ie. apple devices vs android.. what apps? etc.. It'd be a great resource for parents.
Or a great resource for you to steal and develop a quasi-parenting app.

Anyway, I'm done trying to convince you. The fact that you would like to blame inanimate technology for the harm of a child is beyond me. And thanks for making my day earlier by saying that parental controls are impassable. I could get around all your security measures by running a 2-megabyte program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Or a great resource for you to steal and develop a quasi-parenting app.

Anyway, I'm done trying to convince you. The fact that you would like to blame inanimate technology for the harm of a child is beyond me. And thanks for making my day earlier by saying that parental controls are impassable. I could get around all your security measures by running a 2-megabyte program.
I have no interest in making an app. I want to put it on a website somewhere that parents cant reference for free.

Maybe you could get around security measures, I'm assuming you an adult, they wouldn't be aimed at you.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm curious.

Because, I'm not sure why a child would need a smartphone.

Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones - YouTube
They don't. And parents that succumb to this nonsense are feeding a larger problem. My son never had one as a child. His father bought him one when he was 17. He didn't even have a regular old cell phone until he was 16.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,764 times
I bought my son his first smartphone when he was in middle school and he is now a junior in high school. The first phone I bought him was less than $100 and now he saves birthday and Christmas money each year if he wants to upgrade. He has a pre-paid plan so a new phone costs him between $100 - $200 depending on what he wants and what time of year it is. There are always great deals around the holidays. The plan itself is $35/month (grandfathered VM plan with 1200 minutes and unlimited text and web) and I pay for it.

One of the things I have found to be most useful with him having a smartphone is that I did not need to buy him a scientific calculator for math class because there is an app for that. He also has unlimited access to the website the school system uses to post grades and he can keep up with his assignments any time, anywhere. Two of his four teachers also use Twitter to send out daily homework assignments and quiz/test reminders. These are things that would not be available to him with a non-smartphone.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They don't. And parents that succumb to this nonsense are feeding a larger problem. My son never had one as a child. His father bought him one when he was 17. He didn't even have a regular old cell phone until he was 16.
If your kid was 17 when he got his first smartphone, they probably weren't around when he was a child. Smartphones first started appearing around 2006 and didn't start to catch on until around four years ago.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 AM

283 posts, read 447,517 times
nothing, as I have no childs

(mother gave me such a phone due to yearly upgrades....years ago)

Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
This is the bottom line with bullying (online or otherwise), some parents are in totally denial or willfully ignorant:

Quote:
The 14 year-old's father told the AP, "“My daughter’s a good girl and I’m 100
percent sure that whatever they’re saying about my daughter is not true." The
father of the 12 year-old said, ""I feel horrible about the whole situation.
It's my fault, maybe that I don't know more about that kind of stuff. I wish I
did."

On the Today Show the sheriff said, “But if we can find a contributing to the
… delinquency of a child we certainly would bring that charge, because I can
tell you, the parents are in total denial,” Judd said. “They don’t think there’s
a problem here, and that is the problem.…They even let her have her Facebook
access after she bullied this child and after they knew it.”
Arrests in Florida tween bullying case raise issue of parental responsibility | Tween Us

Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
The father's words will likely come back to haunt him. I have no doubt the court will treat his daughter more harshly, because he is in denial.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The father's words will likely come back to haunt him. I have no doubt the court will treat his daughter more harshly, because he is in denial.
I think you're correct. It's one thing to believe in and support your child, it's another to deny their complicity even after the child themself has admitted wrongdoing.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 PM

This is the 14 year-old's stepmother. Nuff said:

Vivian Vosburg, Stepmom Of Girl Accused In Rebecca Sedwick Bullying Suicide, Arrested For Child Abuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting