Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"Outhouses"??? Sorry. Bathrooms are a feature of my home and yours. I know that without asking. It's normative. I don't pay extra mortgage money each month so that my teenagers can use a toilet.
They are standard with all homes, apartments and mobile homes and required in most municipalities.

I have a flip phone. My children and husband have the number.

I'll literally do anything to insure that my children receive the best educations available to them. That's an enduring gift.

The latest gadget? Nope. I'll pass.

Sometimes parenting is not about making my life easier - or their lives more fun.
Sometimes it isn't, but sometimes it is. But my point wasn't really about fun.

I see you missed the meaning of the "outhouse" example.

Electric lighting was once "the latest gadget." You see where I'm going with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Teens are a huge market segment. They control billions of dollars of buying power.
This is probably the only point where I agree with Ceese. Teens don't need smart phones by and large and since they are marketed to so much by companies, to me, this is a reason in itself why they shouldn't have a smart phone yet. It's bad enough all the ads they see on TV. Oh, and neither of mine have their own TV and we as parents do limit the time tehy can watch too. I guess we need to get with the times on that, too.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
My son is 4 and has his own phone. What he said was simple:

Mommy, give me your phone!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kids with smarphones are almost never into the programming and technology of them, they just like the games, music, messages, and so on.
Being familiar with technology doesn't mean getting into programming and technology. It's about being familiar with using the latest technology. That will be important in most careers. If they are behind technology-wise, they have more catching up to do. They'll be competing for jobs with peers who understand this. If they want to major in marketing or business, they need to know how technology is used. They don't need to be the ones doing the programming. They need to be the ones who envision what they want the programmers to create for them.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
My kids got phones when they went to middle school. Without them, they were missing out on invitations to social activities and had a much harder time staying connected to kids they had been friends with for years. As they gained more freedom, it was more important for me to be able to communicate with them (sports practice let out early, etc)

Phones are just a tool bullies use to expand their web. They are not the cause of bullying or low self-esteem.

As for SMART phones...IMHO no one needs a Smart Phone. Huge waste of money. You need to access the internet? Use a computer at home or at work. Unfortunately, my ex thinks it is critical that kids have the coolest stuff to 'fit in'. He is still a preppie after all these years and it make him sad that his kids are not preps. Nonetheless, they were due for upgrades last month and got Smartphones. I'm not paying for it, so.........

Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
It may not harm kids at all - but from what I observe, even among family members is that many kids today are kind of weird. They'll sit side by side and send texts to each other instead of talking. The phones definitely don't help them with spelling "r u ok" and "wats up". A 12 month old baby can figure out the apps, there's not much learning involved. If the phone doesn't vibrate every 2 minutes or so, they start going into panic mode, grabbing the pocket or glancing nervously at the phone for messages.
That's a parenting issue - not a phone issue. Just like anything, you teach your kids how to use the technology, when and where using it is appropriate, etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM

384 posts, read 594,651 times
What is the reasoning behind the thesis that giving children smartphones is harmful?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Kids with smarphones are almost never into the programming and technology of them, they just like the games, music, messages, and so on.
Bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Oh, and neither of mine have their own TV and we as parents do limit the time they can watch too. I guess we need to get with the times on that, too.
I find it curious that you think giving a child a smart phone abdicates you from parental responsibility? The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm curious.

Because, I'm not sure why a child would need a smartphone.

Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones - YouTube
There is nothing my kid could say to get me to get her a smartphone, period. When they have a job and can get one for themselves, then they can have one.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:34 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That's a parenting issue - not a phone issue. Just like anything, you teach your kids how to use the technology, when and where using it is appropriate, etc.
Problem is, too many parents aren't doing that

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-florida-girl/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting