Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here's a handy-dandy guide for the easily confused:

a) If YOU would like to buy a smart phone for YOUR child, then do so.

b) If YOU don't want to buy a smart phone for YOUR child, then don't do so.

c) What other parents choose to do is none of your business.
+1

Nothing is wrong with Zimbochick, and your question is prejudicial.

I started to agree that no one "needs" a smart phone, but it absolutely does make my job easier.

As for kids, a "smart phone" isn't really about the phone. It's their social currency. It's a camera, a radio, a silent communication device. It's a mobile library, an encyclopedia and a film vault.

When kids reach middle school age, it does come in handy for safety and communication.

And it's another tool to teach your kids how to use wisely and safely.

Sure, they don't NEED a smart phone. Outhouses still serve the same purpose they used to as well, but we've moved on from those too.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-16-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Kids do not need smartphones. The tide is turning and FINALLY adults are learning this.

Example:
This story hit the news today. I bet her mom wishes she would have said no to that stupid cell phone.
Rebecca Sedwick Suicide: Two Middle School Girls, 12 and 14, Arrested on Stalking Charges | FlaglerLive - Your News Service for Flagler County News Palm Coast News Bunnell Flagler Beach Beverly Beach and Marineland

This man, Sheriff Grady Judd is a hero for what he did in this video below.
Sheriff Grady Judd on arrests of two girls | Video | wtsp.com

Parents please wake up, take your parental powers back AND stop being a bunch of pushovers who think that a "smart phone" is required to grow up. The second you hand them a phone of any kind you are giving up things you cannot imagine.

Another example of what a smartphone/cellphone with texting enables.
Missouri teen rape case ignites social media

If kids were allowed to just be kids and not be pushed into this constant online world where things go wrong in half a second we'd all be better.

Please read, watch and respond after.
I don't see the connection between simply having a smart phone and being a bully. Kids don't need a phone to be a cyber bully. Do you think they shouldn't be allowed around computers either?

Last edited by Jaded; 10-16-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,518 times
My kids have plain ole cell phones. My son bought himself an ipod which does a lot of the same things minus the calling part, which isn't an issue because he has the phone. No biggie. Many of the teens we know have smart phones. I am sure my kids would happily take one too, but they have never asked - mostly because we would probably have them pay for it and they have other, more important things they wish to spend their money on.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM

384 posts, read 594,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Kids do not need smartphones. The tide is turning and FINALLY adults are learning this.

Example:
This story hit the news today. I bet her mom wishes she would have said no to that stupid cell phone.
Rebecca Sedwick Suicide: Two Middle School Girls, 12 and 14, Arrested on Stalking Charges | FlaglerLive - Your News Service for Flagler County News Palm Coast News Bunnell Flagler Beach Beverly Beach and Marineland

This man, Sheriff Grady Judd is a hero for what he did in this video below.
Sheriff Grady Judd on arrests of two girls | Video | wtsp.com

Parents please wake up, take your parental powers back AND stop being a bunch of pushovers who think that a "smart phone" is required to grow up. The second you hand them a phone of any kind you are giving up things you cannot imagine.

Another example of what a smartphone/cellphone with texting enables.
Missouri teen rape case ignites social media

If kids were allowed to just be kids and not be pushed into this constant online world where things go wrong in half a second we'd all be better.

Please read, watch and respond after.
I don't have a smartphone or even a dump hone, or a house, or a car, or a job, or a family, or an education. In fact, I'm a nomadic herder who wears sheepskin clothing and hunts wherever the caribou goes. Unfortunately, the caribou was lost in what the people of the future call I-95. So ultimately I decided to stop pretending the best way to be frugal is to insist that people should use the bare minimum to get by.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-16-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
I have an irrational hatred of smartphones but maybe that will change by the time my kid is old enough to want one (she'll get a simple phone when she starts school for safety reasons) besides, smartphones will probably be outdated and something new will be around by the time she's a teenager.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's a personal choice. My children do not manipulate me into purchasing anything. I never thought they needed smart phones. They never asked.

I thought they needed cell phones for safety issues. Lap tops for school. We provided those.

One has a smart phone (bought it him self) the other does not and does not care.

I have a flip phone.
Same here I have a flip phone .My son has purchased the fancier phones as they become available. He buys the phone but guess who pays the family phone bill!!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
I don't even own a smartphone, so I am not going to get any of my kids one. They really wouldn't have much of a use for one anyway.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
When she started to ride her bike out of my sight. I think she was 9ish? But it was a regular cell phone.

Then they had bring your technology to school. It was either a tablet, laptop or smartphone. I decided the smartphone which she was thrilled with. This was in 6th grade.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here's a handy-dandy guide for the easily confused:

a) If YOU would like to buy a smart phone for YOUR child, then do so.

b) If YOU don't want to buy a smart phone for YOUR child, then don't do so.

c) What other parents choose to do is none of your business.
In that case, we might as well close the entire City-Data Parenting Forum.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-16-2013 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
In that case, we might as well close the entire City-Data Parenting Forum.
Do you honestly think the OP was interested in an exchange of ideas on the topic based on the tone of the post? This particular topic has been covered endlessly on this forum. Many people who disparage the notion of children/teens having smartphones are totally ignorant of the fact that Nintendo DS, Kindles, iPod Touch, etc. etc. all have similar internet functionality. If people want a real discussion on the topic, then start a real thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting