Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Do you honestly think the OP was interested in an exchange of ideas on the topic based on the tone of the post? This particular topic has been covered endlessly on this forum. Many people who disparage the notion of children/teens having smartphones are totally ignorant of the fact that Nintendo DS, Kindles, iPod Touch, etc. etc. all have similar internet functionality. If people want a real discussion on the topic, then start a real thread.
Actually, the original post was unique to the extent that the original poster was asking what the kids' rationale was (for example, safety, they kid will pay for it, the kid will make a deal to improve grades, etc).

Some kids probably have convinced their parents. "If I get straight As, can I have a smart phone?" for example. "If I pay for the phone and data, can I have a smart phone?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
They don't. Frankly, I'm convinced most adults don't either. I got by just fine for over 30 years before I had one and if I didn't have to have one for work, I probably still wouldn't. I can see buying kids a cell phone for emergencies or letting them use one of yours if they're out with their friends. I definitely don't see a reason to buy a $200 phone and pay nearly $100 a month for service for them to use Facebook and text with each other.
This has been discussed in previous threads to death, but I shall point out again as it seems some who are so against smartphones have a perception you pay hundreds for them.

Our son's first smart phone was $49 as part of our phone bill contract and then adding it to the family plan was only $30 or so. When you have a family share plan - sharing data, etc., it isn't that much at all to add a smart phone. He paid for the phone and he pays for a portion of the plan each month.

I think he got it his Junior year of high school.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
I already mentioned this, but schools now are trying to be more tech savvy. My daughter gets her homework using her smartphone, online textbooks and has to do her reading as well as research on her smartphone during class.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
To the person who sent me the snarky rep - actually no, my children do not have smart phones. It's my decision to make for my family.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
To the person who sent me the snarky rep - actually no, my children do not have smart phones. It's my decision to make for my family.
Moderator Cut. I like the poster that said it all depends on your family, your rules, your money and your house. Geez.

If my kid's school didn't have the BYOT policy, she would still have her flip phone.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-16-2013 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Off-topic

Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
When my daughter needed a new phone we got her a smart phone. Like a poster said above, she uses it for all sorts of things, including looking up her homework assignments and accessing online textbooks. But even if she didn't use it for that, I still would have gotten her one. IMO, it makes sense to keep up with technology.

"How did your child convince to get one of those fancy auto-mobiles? Couldn't they just keep riding the horse to school?"

Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
When my daughter needed a new phone we got her a smart phone. Like a poster said above, she uses it for all sorts of things, including looking up her homework assignments and accessing online textbooks. But even if she didn't use it for that, I still would have gotten her one. IMO, it makes sense to keep up with technology.

"How did your child convince to get one of those fancy auto-mobiles? Couldn't they just keep riding the horse to school?"
+1

As someone who works in the cellular industry and knows the penetration rates...

Smartphones already make up the majority of new phone sales, and the percentage increases every year. The day is coming in the not-too-distant future when all new cell phones will be smartphones.

They're not going away.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
They are a useful tool and will play a significant role in daily lives going forward. I want my kids to be well versed on technology.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm curious.

Because, I'm not sure why a child would need a smartphone.

Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones - YouTube

I know he's just a comedian, but there is so much wisdom in what Louis C.K. says here!

We would all be better off if we learned to cope with that empty lonely little place rather than do everything we can to avoid it!

There is nothing my kids could have said when they were younger to get me to buy them a smart phone. I don't even have a smart phone, lol.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:46 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
My kids have asked, especially our 12 year old daughter, but can't rationally explain why she needs one. "Because all of the other kids have one" is neither true nor does it answer the question asked. Usually she says, "Because I want one." To which I reply I want a new camera, a few lens and some lighting equipment to go with it. And I can also explain why I need these things. Kids hate when parents explain things, really, so my wife just says, "no." Each kids has a simple flip phone. Considering how often they are lost or forgotten (and in one case taken *in* in the pool) they are years away from having their own smart phone.

Meanwhile, I don't have a smart phone ether and the one my wife has belongs to her company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting