Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
How are they a useful tool?

Is it a need or a want?

I know cellphones and computers are needs. However, smartphones is a want.

So what?

I don't understand saying that your child won't have something because they don't need it. Most people buy their children some things they don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
They are a useful tool and will play a significant role in daily lives going forward. I want my kids to be well versed on technology.
Quote:
How are they a useful tool?

Is it a need or a want?

I know cellphones and computers are needs. However, smartphones is a want.
Cellphones and computers were wants in the not so distant past. Smartphones will eventually be the next need. It's important to keep up with technology, especially for younger generations because the technology will be used in their work lives just like computers became the standard for most professions even though they didn't exist previously.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
They are a want for teens, but can be a need for some adults who don't carry a tablet or laptop with them everywhere.

Social media is not a need (that what teens use it for, let's be honest) and people can and do live fine without it. My youngest is plugged in like I can't believe, while my oldest (who had a few more years pre-tech takeover) will use social media when she gets bored. They are both in their 20's.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM

Social media is a business need. It's becoming a significant marketing necessity for businesses.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Social media is a business need. It's becoming a significant marketing necessity for businesses.
Not for teens though. And working in business...well I have my doubts about the real importance of social media for marketing in a lot of cases. It's not universally needed but everyone thinks they need it. It hasn't reached the point where most people have taken a critical look at it yet. It's still sort of "bandwagon"y. It's like when the internet first came into our homes and people were selling things, everything, but many of those early businesses are long gone now....cached if you will.

It will have it's place, but teens don't really need marketing to IMO.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not for teens though.
Those teens will eventually be professionals who need to know the technology.

Quote:
And working in business...well I have my doubts about the real importance of social media for marketing in a lot of cases.
Obviously you're not in marketing.

Quote:
It hasn't reached the point where most people have taken a critical look at it yet. It's still sort of "bandwagon"y.
That's not true.

Quote:
It's like when the internet first came into our homes and people were selling things, everything, but many of those early businesses are long gone now....cached if you will.
The internet is a major economic force for most businesses worldwide.

Quote:
It will have it's place...
It already has its place.

Quote:
...teens don't really need marketing to IMO.
Teens are a huge market segment. They control billions of dollars of buying power.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cellphones and computers were wants in the not so distant past. Smartphones will eventually be the next need. It's important to keep up with technology, especially for younger generations because the technology will be used in their work lives just like computers became the standard for most professions even though they didn't exist previously.
Kids with smarphones are almost never into the programming and technology of them, they just like the games, music, messages, and so on.

Smartphones are cool toys but I would rather my kids learn first how to actually converse with people and do something other than play with their smartphone.

It may not harm kids at all - but from what I observe, even among family members is that many kids today are kind of weird. They'll sit side by side and send texts to each other instead of talking. The phones definitely don't help them with spelling "r u ok" and "wats up". A 12 month old baby can figure out the apps, there's not much learning involved. If the phone doesn't vibrate every 2 minutes or so, they start going into panic mode, grabbing the pocket or glancing nervously at the phone for messages.

In our workplace, we have problems with some of these employees with cell phone addictions.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
She said "Dad can I have a new phone for Christmas"

She needed a new phone anyways and if did not cost too much. Phone was 180 Euro and 20 euro per month for normal phone, internet, and sms flat plus 120 minutes all networks.

I am a single dad and I work full time- if she need to contact me at work she writes me on Facebook, yesterday she missed her bus and was able look up the bus schedule online...

Last edited by GER308; 10-17-2013 at 04:05 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 05:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
I'm curious.

Because, I'm not sure why a child would need a smartphone.

Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones - YouTube
i would like one

Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kids with smarphones are almost never into the programming and technology of them, they just like the games, music, messages, and so on.
I wouldn't of done computer science, worked for a fortune 500 company, or end up where I am in top ten percentile of salary if it wasn't for games, etc. . .of computers

step 1 is having fun

step 2 is. . .what if I could make something myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting