Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Do you know what " mean? Quotation marks? They mean a direct quote was made. I never said that, you are making up what I said, and putting it in quotes. I hope you know what that is.

Anyway, no I wouldn't do that, for one reason, I do not value my convenience in that situation, over even a slight risk to my children. That is a fact, not an opinion. Because it is a FACT, that no matter your opinion, there is a small risk ANY time you leave a small child unattended in a car.

Parents are always taking different levels of risk with their children, I took mine surfing when they were fairly young. It is a risk, but it is one that has a real reward. My issue with all of the people leaving their children unattended isn't particularly the risk, but rather the fact the reward is one I wouldn't choose for myself. Luckily, the risk is small, so for most people, likely nothing will happen.
Please show where I misquoted you. I think it would be hard for me to do since I used the quote function on CD. I did not type anything or, if I recall, even delete anything extraneous. I simply bolded to show to which part I was referring. Really? You think I have to resort to making stuff up? In fact, to make things absolutely clear, I made sure to check (and include) the specific post you were responding to. I think you need to check your own quoted before accusing people of making stuff up and following up by asking if I understand what quotes mean. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,180 times
I think leaving a child in the car while you return a book or get money from the ATM is fine as long as the car is right there and in sight at all times. I would never leave my child in the car while I go into a business that has walls or doors (glass or otherwise) that separate me from the child in the car. Even for a minute.

I was actually in line at a store a few years ago when an armored truck driver was robbed and murdered a few stores away. There was a woman in the store who had left her two kids in the car while she ran inside. (they were about 7-9 years old) She had just gotten inside the door when we heard the gunfire. It was terrifying. I know it is unlikely to happen, but still scary.

I do live in Arizona, which makes it much harder to leave my child in a car while I do anything. I have to leave the car running in the summer, even for a couple of minutes, or it is just too hot inside. That adds an extra danger. It's just safer to take the child with me.

Last edited by raindrop101; 09-06-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
I would not do those things because it is not worth the risk to me just to avoid taking a child out of a carseat. You could trip and fall, you could see your chatty neighbor, a hundred scenarios we can't think of now, whatever, that could make these things take longer and thus increase the risk that something could happen. For every person who thinks it takes 30 seconds, I urge you to go get a stopwatch and time it. It doesn't which isn't even the point, the point is, that if you are that poor a judge of time that you underestimate time by greater than 50% than you shouldn't be trusting your judgement with regards to time.
I guess we all weigh the risks differently then because from my view, it's much more dangerous for a child to be in a grocery store parking lot due to cars backing up and sharing space with pedestrians. But you feel the risk of falling, or running into a chatty neighbor may be more. So we all make the decision for our kids that makes the most sense to us, the parents. One is not better then the other in these types of scenarios.

And yes, it really does take a minute or less to return a cart or to return a book in the book drop. No one said anything about it only taking 30 seconds, but sometimes it's even that short of a period of time if you park next to the cart return, book drop or DVD return.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
For the love of Mike, you could trip and fall while holding your child!
True, but when you are holding a child, you generally are not rushing about and running to get back to the car. As that was one scenario I have actually seen (a woman rushing, tripping and injuring herself to get back to her car with her child it) I posted it.

Quote:
It is significant to me that so many people are scrambling for the most unlikely scenarios to demonstrate that it's necessary to take a child out of the car for a 30-second task and are completely unwilling to grant that sometimes a child is actually safer in the car. (Not going to argue about how long it actually takes--how do you know how good a judge of time I, and others, are?)
Because the OP claims it takes less than a minute to go in the post office and get an envelope. The truth is most people do not judge time accurately. And anyone who thinks getting out of the car, locking it, walking say 50 ft, negotiating the lobby, finding the right size envelop, and then going back to the car, takes under a minute is full of bologna.

Quote:
And may I add, that not everyone has just ONE child? At one time my three were aged five and under. It's not that easy or safe to herd three little children through a parking lot, and if all I was doing was dropping books in an outdoor slot, you'd better believe I left them in the car--not just out of convenience (though that too) because they truly were safer there!
Do what ever you want. It is not something I would do, regardless of the number of children I had with me. But I reserve the right to my opinion, and to express it.

Quote:
The more I read this thread, the more I wonder how some of these people ever dared to have children if they are that fearful. For instance, if you were home alone with your baby, would you give the baby a bath? What for some totally unforeseen reason you suddenly passed out and the baby drowned in the tub!? Clearly it is not safe to have just one adult alone with a child, you need to have at least two at all times...
Ah, another straw man, anyone who is not leaving their child alone in a car for their own convenience is a suddenly afraid of everything. The fact that you have to go there is telling in and of itself.

I am not a fearful parent, I probably let my children do many thing you wouldn't. Where we differ is how we assess risk and reward. I allowed them risks, and greater risk for greater rewards, but risk just for the sake of risk, not something I was willing to do.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
have a done it? Yes. I dont do it now. It is illegal in OH.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Please show where I misquoted you. I think it would be hard for me to do since I used the quote function on CD.
YOURS: And even upped the ante with the with the "well, it might be ok for SOME parents who don't value their child as much as I value mine"....nice!

Not something I ever said yet you attributed it to me, and used quotes.

Quote:
I did not type anything or, if I recall, even delete anything extraneous. I simply bolded to show to which part I was referring. Really? You think I have to resort to making stuff up? In fact, to make things absolutely clear, I made sure to check (and include) the specific post you were responding to. I think you need to check your own quoted before accusing people of making stuff up and following up by asking if I understand what quotes mean. Good grief.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
have a done it? Yes. I dont do it now. It is illegal in OH.
Do you know the name of the law or when it was enacted?

I tried to find a source for the law here in my home state but I couldn't. I wonder if it is not a separate law here but included under general child endangerment.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
YOURS: And even upped the ante with the with the "well, it might be ok for SOME parents who don't value their child as much as I value mine"....nice!

Not something I ever said yet you attributed it to me, and used quotes.

I thought it was quite clear that was not yours as I specifically used the quote funtion, to attribute your words.. Apparently not to everyone. My apologies.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
For the love of Mike, you could trip and fall while holding your child!

It is significant to me that so many people are scrambling for the most unlikely scenarios to demonstrate that it's necessary to take a child out of the car for a 30-second task and are completely unwilling to grant that sometimes a child is actually safer in the car. (Not going to argue about how long it actually takes--how do you know how good a judge of time I, and others, are?)

And may I add, that not everyone has just ONE child? At one time my three were aged five and under. It's not that easy or safe to herd three little children through a parking lot, and if all I was doing was dropping books in an outdoor slot, you'd better believe I left them in the car--not just out of convenience (though that too) but because they truly were safer there!

The more I read this thread, the more I wonder how some of these people ever dared to have children if they are that fearful. For instance, if you were home alone with your baby, would you give the baby a bath? What for some totally unforeseen reason you suddenly passed out and the baby drowned in the tub!? Clearly it is not safe to have just one adult alone with a child, you need to have at least two at all times...
Well said. I agree with you on all points.

On the topic of going to a store with multiple children, I especially agree that they are much safer in the car, especially if they are walking vs. riding in the cart. Walking through the parking lot with one kid in a cart is no big deal. But walking through the parking lot with one kid in the cart and multiple kids walking by themselves makes me sweat. I'd rather them all stay in the car. They are much safer there.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 PM

81 posts, read 190,379 times
Wow this tread has blown up!
I think we need to understand that unlike when I was a kid.. Now in days there are so many rules about what you can and can't do.. It's called child neglect.. Even leaving your child for a minute. It's so sad! I myslef have left my child for minute in the car. I always felt bad about it.. But when it's just you and your in a hurry. It's so easy to do. I have seen moms lives distorted for leaving their kids in the car and I can't do it anymore. The last thing I want is child neglect and social services investigating me when I know I'm a good mom. I think we all need to think. Who will see and call the cops. Unfortunately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting