Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

I made that mistake once forty years ago. I was dropping off a dish at a friend's house, just going to hand it to her through the door. It took only seconds for her to answer the door and she told me to turn around.

In the brief moments all this had taken place my inquisitive and fearless toddler had stood up behind the steering wheel, shifted into neutral and was merrily coasting down the slight incline of the suburban street, a hand on each side of the wheel. Yes, I probably set a world record for the frantic mommy sprint.

I also learned to never turn your back on a toddler for a second while you are changing a poopy diaper. Boy, did I have a lot to learn about children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?

It takes more than 1 minute to get out of the car, close the door and walk to the door of the business you are going to go into.

Your timing is not reality.

To answer your question though, no I have never left my children in the vehicle even when they were teenagers.
When they were young I took them all in with me even though I had to take a 7 year old, a toddler and a newborn out of the vehicle I still did it. Yes it took me longer to get into and out of where I was going but I knew every moment where my children were.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I made that mistake once forty years ago. I was dropping off a dish at a friend's house, just going to hand it to her through the door. It took only seconds for her to answer the door and she told me to turn around.

In the brief moments all this had taken place my inquisitive and fearless toddler had stood up behind the steering wheel, shifted into neutral and was merrily coasting down the slight incline of the suburban street, a hand on each side of the wheel. Yes, I probably set a world record for the frantic mommy sprint.

I also learned to never turn your back on a toddler for a second while you are changing a poopy diaper. Boy, did I have a lot to learn about children!

Oh, I remember that lesson very well, YUK, gross, disgusting and eeeeeeeewwweeee.
I think it took me a week to find all the little splotches of poo that was spewed all over the place.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think most people left their kids for things like that. Add in some bitter winter cold, or pouring rain? Make that, the majority.

It may be a risk, but it's a very slight one, and not something I ever worried about.

Not this majority, my children have never been left alone in a vehicle when they were minors I don't care what the situation or the weather.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
I made that mistake once forty years ago.
Yes, but forty years ago little children (of which I was one at that time) were not strapped into car seats. My kids were. It took me several steps to get them out of their car seats, and they certainly could not get themselves out!

It's hard for me to imagine what horrible thing could happen to a toddler who is confined to a car seat while his parent takes 30 seconds to drop some books off at the library return bin. The car could suddenly catch on fire, I suppose, or a meteorite could come crashing through the window. But if you really worry about such things, you had better stay home all the time clutching your child to your chest.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not this majority, my children have never been left alone in a vehicle when they were minors I don't care what the situation or the weather.
Sounds like they weren't driving at 16, huh?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, but forty years ago little children (of which I was one at that time) were not strapped into car seats. My kids were. It took me several steps to get them out of their car seats, and they certainly could not get themselves out!

It's hard for me to imagine what horrible thing could happen to a toddler who is confined to a car seat while his parent takes 30 seconds to drop some books off at the library return bin. The car could suddenly catch on fire, I suppose, or a meteor could come crashing through the window. But if you really worry about such things, you had better stay home all the time clutching your child to your chest.

What about that random time when someone behind the wheel of a vehicle has a heart attack, stroke, diabetic seizure or some other medical issue and they ram into your vehicle and kill your child left alone in their car seat?

Who would you blame for the death of your child? Them? Even though they cannot control a medical issue happening?

Would you blame yourself? The one who left their child in the car seat "just for a minute"?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
What about that random time when someone behind the wheel of a vehicle has a heart attack, stroke, diabetic seizure or some other medical issue and they ram into your vehicle and kill your child left alone in their car seat?

Who would you blame for the death of your child? Them? Even though they cannot control a medical issue happening?

Would you blame yourself? The one who left their child in the car seat "just for a minute"?
I don't see what this kind of tragedy has to do with the child being alone for a moment or two. Isn't it just as likely (or, unlikely) that this would happen while an adult was also in the car?

If you took your child out of the seat to use the ATM and someone had a medical emergency and struck them with their car while they were standing next to you, would you blame yourself for NOT leaving them in the car?

Isn't it far more likely that the child would be injured or killed while YOU were driving?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,346 times
Honestly, yes I have left my kids asleep in their car seats for the moments it took to drop off a movie or run up to the cash machine, etc...

Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:

You must not have turned off the car and taken the keys because every automatic transmission car I owned required the key to be in the ignition to shift them out of park. My manual transmission cars would have stalled instantly if I got out of car with it in gear because I would have needed to take my foot off of the clutch to get out of the car.

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. Did you prohibit them from getting their licenses until they were 18?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting