Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Mine had no desire either at 17 or 18...then he went to college......
Heh... I think I was drunk maybe once in my life before I went to college. Then I turned 19, which was the legal bar entry age in my college town back then. The drinking age was 21, but once you got into the bar there were pretty much no questions asked. I very quickly developed a keen interest in cheap beer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 05:09 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
My dad's family is Canadian/Swiss and it's pretty common in those cultures to let kids have the occasional sip of alcohol. At family parties my dad used to let me have a sip of beer or wine but it wasn't like he was pouring me a glass or giving me my own can. As a teenager I never went crazy with getting drunk, because alcohol wasn't some forbidden thing I used to get one over on my parents. Even to this day I rarely drink.
I like this

take the mystery out of "drinking" at an early age ,
and kids will make better decisions/not fall to peer pressure in the worst of times

I gave my son sips of different drinks , he didn't like most of them
this took the mystery out of alcohol, and I didn't harp on him about it

thru high school and college he has made mature decisions (better than I did at his age) concerning alcohol

ive also changed my opinion on this, the WORST phone call a parent can get is that their son or daughter was killed in a car crash after consuming alcohol,,,,whether they are driving or a passenger....this is a livin nightmare for most parents (many of us remember how many chances we took as kids, and how lucky/foolish/stupid we were)
anyways , I don't condone underage drinking, but , I would much rather have my kids drink in my house/basement than to drink somewhere else
I never furnished alcohol,,,,but know many parents that did,,
I was very surprised to learn that many parents allowed their kids to drink in their basement on the premise,,no one is driving home,,,,

Ive worked with parents,,,,,that lost their teenage kid by some other teenager driving drunk,,,,, and that's the worst thing that can ever happen to someone,,,,, a drunk teen behind the wheel,,,goes over the center line in the road and wipes out another car..
id had wished their parents kept them home to drink,,that wiping out my kid(s)

every spring we hear how drunk teens kill themselves and others,,,id rather see them drink at home,,,don't ask don't tell

ive also witnessed very strict parents,,, with teenagers,,,, and yes the teenagers wont drink out of fear,,,,which the parents are thinking that's good...but then they go to college and go nuts...they have no coping skills at all,,this is brand new- party scenes all over and they are loving it-especially boys,,,, girls at these parties are friendly!!
so they start drinking/partying and falling behind on there studies and eventually drop out,,,because they had no life skills to handle or manage alcohol,,,thanks to the very very strict parents

the best parents instill confidence in their kids to make the right decisions for themselves, not for others, and not seeking approval from others because they are put down at home,,,,,think about it.........

take the mystery out of alcohol .... early,,

Old 01-25-2015, 02:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,358,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
If it isn't legal for them to imbibe, don't give it to them.

My mom let us have coffee when we could drink it black.
I agree with what this person said.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
If it isn't legal for them to imbibe, don't give it to them.

My mom let us have coffee when we could drink it black.
I agree with what this person said.
OK, so what if it is legal for them to imbibe?

Old 01-26-2015, 03:30 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
We do not use alcohol or drugs at all in this household, and we have been very clear that we expect our children to abide by the law. I have never restricted coffee. One of my kids loves it and my only guidance has been to limit intake to the morning hours, so as not to affect sleep. The other two don't care for coffee.
I bet they can't wait to move out. Lol

Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
Booze - 1 glass a week. . .no more than that . . 12-13. Only "in home" and never ever can any friends have any. . .thats how you get arrested.
weed - No way. It has been proven to have neuological impacts and changes in growing brains. 24 should be the minimum age
coffee - my 2 year old loves iced coffee

Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Booze - 1 glass a week. . .no more than that . . 12-13. Only "in home" and never ever can any friends have any. . .thats how you get arrested.
weed - No way. It has been proven to have neuological impacts and changes in growing brains. 24 should be the minimum age
coffee - my 2 year old loves iced coffee
Are there any studies about alcohol consumption in younger children? I find it hard to believe that smoking a joint every couple weeks would negatively affect a child anymore than alcohol. A few of the studies I looked at were of people that smoked more than 4-5x/week.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Learning to drink wine from dinner from about 17.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:29 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Are there any studies about alcohol consumption in younger children? I find it hard to believe that smoking a joint every couple weeks would negatively affect a child anymore than alcohol. A few of the studies I looked at were of people that smoked more than 4-5x/week.
Weed has been linked to neurological changes Even Casual Marijuana Smokers at Risk for Structural Brain Changes

i've never seen a similar warning for alcohol

though I would guess abuse of both in heavy amounts would fry a brain.

My goal of moderation and a little booze is. . to prevent the damaging effects of binge. . . .but who knows if that would work.

Binge drinking is bad

Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Weed has been linked to neurological changes Even Casual Marijuana Smokers at Risk for Structural Brain Changes

i've never seen a similar warning for alcohol

though I would guess abuse of both in heavy amounts would fry a brain.

My goal of moderation and a little booze is. . to prevent the damaging effects of binge. . . .but who knows if that would work.

Binge drinking is bad
I see a few things this study didn't address - how much weed was smoked - once per week, but how much? Also what was the THC level of the weed smoked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting