Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:48 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Actually, there's little evidence to support that, and much evidence to support that the parents' attitudes towards drinking do make an impression on kids. I'm fine with making it hard for kids to drink.
It would be interesting to see if there's ever been research done comparing binge drinking and drinking and driving between the U.S. and countries where alcohol is more acceptable at a younger age. We were served wine starting in later middle school both at pubs (with our parents) and at friends' homes when we were invited to dinner, in small glasses and a small amount. It wasn't until I went to college in the states though that I ever saw people throwing up or driving drunk. I'd be honestly interested to see what an actual study would find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It would be interesting to see if there's ever been research done comparing binge drinking and drinking and driving between the U.S. and countries where alcohol is more acceptable at a younger age. We were served wine starting in later middle school both at pubs (with our parents) and at friends' homes when we were invited to dinner, in small glasses and a small amount. It wasn't until I went to college in the states though that I ever saw people throwing up or driving drunk. I'd be honestly interested to see what an actual study would find.
There's more binge drinking and getting drunk by young people in Europe, where the legal age in most countries is lower than in the US.
http://resources.prev.org/documents/ESPAD.pdf

Europeans drive less, therefore have lower DUI rates. But it's not because they drink less.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:08 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,445 times
Our Mom let us have a beer or two when we were teens if we were at home under her supervision. She would also allow us to try a cocktail or two once in awhile. She allowed us to drink coffee. My siblings also smoked cigarettes in front of her back then, too. I was the only non-smoker in a houseful of smokers (hated it). I didn't like coffee back then, so I never partook. I rarely partook in the beer and cocktail allowance. Pot wasn't too plentiful where I grew up, so it was a non-issue. To this day, I drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and maybe two or three beers per year at a party or something. I don't like hard liquor whatsoever.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to let minors drink alcohol, even though my own Mom allowed it. Alcoholism runs pretty rampant on both sides of my family. Seeing grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and other family members struggle with alcohol addiction was pretty troubling for their families. You never know when it will rear its ugly head with teenagers, and drag them down into the depths of addiction, along with all of the sorrow and pain that goes with it.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
There's more binge drinking and getting drunk by young people in Europe, where the legal age in most countries is lower than in the US.
http://resources.prev.org/documents/ESPAD.pdf

Europeans drive less, therefore have lower DUI rates. But it's not because they drink less.
Interesting info. If like to see the same for 18yr olds, it seemed to me that American kids may not drink as much in high school but come college age they more than make up for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
In Quebec there is less binge drinking but alcoholism rates are higher. You don't see much binge drinking, but it is easy to drink all day long as no one bats an eye at a 10am wine.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Re: Europe

Is a big place and legal age isn't the same as attitude towards alcohol. There is a big difference between the UK and many other European countries in regards to attitude...

Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Re: Europe

Is a big place and legal age isn't the same as attitude towards alcohol. There is a big difference between the UK and many other European countries in regards to attitude...
My link covered 35 European countries. Not all have higher drinking rates than the US, but most of the western European countries do.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 PM

Yes, but I mean comparing cultures like UK and France... Don't see how they can be lumped together as Europe, because French, for example, cultural attitudes towards intoxication is very different, regardless of drinking rates. European attitudes vary vastly within.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:32 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
For us:
Never to all of the above.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:40 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Don't listen to those people saying "wait until they are legal". It's not a good feeling as a kid when your parents side with obviously bullsh*t laws instead of their own kids. Obviously don't let them drink booze all the time when they are 12, but if they want to try your beer or wine, let 'em. By the time they are 18 they can do what they want no matter what stance you take on it, so you might as well embrace it. I've noticed that the kids who get unhealthy w/ drugs have overprotective parents who made a big deal about no drugs.

By the way, marijuana in infrequent doses is not a significant issue, even to developing brains. If they start smoking a lot then you need to intervene. In general it's a much better, safer drug then alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting