Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times

Advertisements

Dear lord, I guess I'm old fashioned. Or new fashioned? My children are not served alcohol at 'special meals'. They are 17 and 14. I'm sure they've tasted alcohol, but I will not serve it to them or allow them to drink it in my presence until they are 21. They get sparkling cider.

I don't need an alcoholic drink to enjoy any meal, and neither do they. I'm not a prude about it, I'm just a single mom who doesn't open a bottle a wine unless there is company. which is rare. I drink when I'm out with adults only, mostly because I'm driving. Now that my daughter can drive I'll have one drink with dinner when out with other families. My kids have never seen me drunk, because I haven't been more than tipsy in 25 years. This isn't hard for me, or something I'm on a soapbox about, I just don't feel the need. We talk about alcohol when it comes up, and they know that some of it tastes good, some of it doesn't, and being a little intoxicated feels good, and it doesn't take much to get from there to being too drunk to feel good in the morning. They know all that. Luckily, a drunk/hungover person throwing up in a toilet is a frequent motif in movies/tv, so I suspect that is the image they get.

This nonsense about making it more attractive because it is taboo is ridiculous. They can't drive until they are 15...does that mean I let them tool around in the car on special occasions when they are 12? encourage them to get felt up by their 13 year old cousins on Christmas eve while everyone gathers around because I don't want to make sex a taboo??

I've observed first hand the habits of many alcoholic families, including my own. Making a ritual out of tasting booze, and asking children to fetch more booze at social events are two things that glamorize drinking. So I just don't do it. IMHO serving alcohol at every meal is another stupid habit. No one needs it.

I'm not opposed to marijuana use, either, but I won't introduce it to my kids until it is legal (Oldest has seen first hand how lazy/stupid it makes her friends, and she declined to try it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yes, but I mean comparing cultures like UK and France... Don't see how they can be lumped together as Europe, because French, for example, cultural attitudes towards intoxication is very different, regardless of drinking rates. European attitudes vary vastly within.
Maybe you should actually look at the link.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
I wouldn't have a problem with someone around 12 and up having a glass of champagne at a wedding or something like that.

Pot.. No.

I certainly wouldn't want alcohol to be a regular thing with someone under 21, and certainly not to the point they were intoxicated.

I live in a state where it is fine for a child to have alcohol when under 21 at their own house.. And technically so long as an adult gives it to them.. So, one of your kids' friends comes over, you give them a beer.. it's legal.. However, the state pulls out the 'contributing to delinquency' charges to squash that when a stink is raised.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with someone around 12 and up having a glass of champagne at a wedding or something like that.

Pot.. No.

I certainly wouldn't want alcohol to be a regular thing with someone under 21, and certainly not to the point they were intoxicated.

I live in a state where it is fine for a child to have alcohol when under 21 at their own house.. And technically so long as an adult gives it to them.. So, one of your kids' friends comes over, you give them a beer.. it's legal.. However, the state pulls out the 'contributing to delinquency' charges to squash that when a stink is raised.
Wellllll....you might check out the exact legalities if you are inclined to be serving minors in your home. It usually must be the parent who provides the alcohol - or at least the parent must be present and consent. It's not anything I'd want to mess around with.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Maybe you should actually look at the link.
I read the link. I am just suggesting the term europe is very broad in terms of attitudes (note drinking vs intoxication in the charts). That's all.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
I read the link. I am just suggesting the term europe is very broad in terms of attitudes (note drinking vs intoxication in the charts). That's all.
Since you read the link, which is lengthly and you could not possibly have read in entirety in the 20 minutes from the time I posted it until you replied criticizing it, you know that it is broken down by country. It doesn't refer to "Europe" as one entity.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Since you read the link, which is lengthly and you could not possibly have read in entirety in the 20 minutes from the time I posted it until you replied criticizing it, you know that it is broken down by country. It doesn't refer to "Europe" as one entity.
Oh for heaven's sake, I don't care enough to be nitpicking an article or you. I was simply referring to previous posts like yours, #42, that use the blanket term "Europe" when talking about drinking. That is all. And really, 20 minutes for under 10 pages with graphs and citations? Now you are taking the ****, to use a European expression that nobody would understand in most of Europe.

Continue arguing to a wall, please.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
In Quebec there is less binge drinking but alcoholism rates are higher. You don't see much binge drinking, but it is easy to drink all day long as no one bats an eye at a 10am wine.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Before they go off to college. Better to teach them just how much a couple of shots of whiskey or a few bottles of beer really are before finding out a party. I much rather them know what they're in for before they get in a situation where people just want to drink as much as possible. My first experience with alcohol was in college but fortunately not at a party. Just a few people talking. I got to ease into alcohol instead of having someone make me take a shot every ten minutes. Like people have said, it's legal (Where I am at least) for me to give them at our house. I'm not too worried about a little bit of alcohol at 18 as far as developmental issues are concerned.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM

366 posts, read 433,343 times
On their 21st birthday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting