Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
I wouldn't "give" anything to them at anytime, if they were old enough to think they needed alcohol or whatever it was they were old enough to have a job and buy it themselves.
No "trying a sip or two" either and coffee was out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I moved to France at 14 and lived in a dormitory. All the dining halls had pitchers of red and white wine on the tables. What a culture shock that was. Wine and water were free. Soda cost extra. So I learned to like wine. And I didn't grow up to be a drunk. It wasn't nearly as interesting to me as it was to my contemporaries in the States. For me it was more like, OK, I tried it and no big deal.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
lol... I bet you forbid your kids from watching rated R movies before they are 17 too.
Hey, my parents weren't super-strict psychos, but I just figured ON MY OWN that obeying the law was a good idea. Didn't drink until I was 21, either.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hey, my parents weren't super-strict psychos, but I just figured ON MY OWN that obeying the law was a good idea. Didn't drink until I was 21, either.
People are cynical. But, as it has been pointed out, there are many states where kids under 21 can legally drink in their parents' presence. So, if they are, it's within the law.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This exactly. The more taboo and forbidden it is, the greater the chances of overindulgence and binge drinking with friends as a form of rebellion.
I wasn't comfortable with my husband offering our boys sips of beer when they were younger, and a can of cold beer when they were 12-14 or so if they'd been working together outside on a hot day. He said not to make it taboo or forbidden because it would encourage overindulgence.

I'm sorry to say, but one of our sons is an alcoholic and the other one drinks too much IMO. His theory didn't work, but I don't think keeping it from them would have worked either.

I think if alcoholism is in their genes, it makes no difference either way.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 AM

698 posts, read 798,480 times
Quote:
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
who in the world plans on giving their child a recreational drug upon any specific age?

Not addressed to you but in general^^

As for parties, it never occurred to me not to allow my son not to go to any party at any age. Depending upon the age, I might go with him. And depending upon behavior, none of us will go.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
mhmmm, right. I guarantee you kids w/ parents who forbid them from seeing R movies make a point of watching R movies.
We'll see. I'm not there yet. There is a difference between forbidding and not encouraging. I don't have to rent an r rated movie and call it family movie night, nor do I have to offer a 16 year old a drink. That doesn't mean I forbid them under all circumstances.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
Quote:

Our sons get a drop of sweet wine as part of a religious cermony on their tongues 8 days after birth. And the children are offered a sip of wine as part of a religious ceremony every Friday night. They always preferred grape juice instead, unless it was the really sweet fizzy wine. The liquor in the house is not locked up or enshrined in a liquor cabinet. And the incidence of alcoholism, or even alcohol consumption, in our ethnic group, is extremely low.

I think that when people make a big deal about alcohol, the kids think it's something special and forbidden, hence much more attractive.

As for caffeine, I have let the children have a little strong decaf with a lot of milk, if they liked the coffee flavor. But the one morning that I accidentally gave the 5 year old caffeinated coffee with a lot of milk, you could see how hyperactive it made him. Never again.

I have offered the teens, who both have unmedicated ADHD due to their own refusal to take meds, caffeinated coffee as a study aid. One refuses it, one has tried it - maybe helped a tiny bit. If they wanted a cup of coffee in the AM, I'd let them have it as high schoolers. But more importantly, I send my kids to bed early, so they get enough sleep, so that they can function in the early AM. I wouldn't use caffeine as a substitute for getting enough sleep.

So I guess my feeling is, if the kid wants a sip of your beer or wine or mixed drink at home, let him taste it. Don't make a big deal out of alcohol. At the same time, warn them that alcoholism ruins lives. And limit your own consumption to no more than a serving or two a day, so they see that YOU don't drink to excess.

I would not let my teen serve friends alcohol at our home because of the potential legal ramifications. I probably wouldn't let him serve himself a drink whenever he wanted, but as a college aged kid, if Dad is having a beer with his chips in front of the game, and college student wants one too, I'd let him.

Caffeine - I'd let them have it beginning in high school, if they want it, since high school starts so early in the AM, and their circadian rhythm as teenagers would have them sleeping very late, if they could.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:00 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
If there is alcoholism in the family, I would warn the kids about it repeatedly when they are young, certainly before adolescence starts. I would encourage them to never try it, for that reason. Same as I would warn them about drugs, gambling, credit, and unwarranted student loans.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
In PA I've learned legality has little to do with it...they'll find a way around it
Trust me. Not just PA. Anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting