Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Maybe he should file for custody of the 11 year old daughter.
Well he somewhat does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:54 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Well he somewhat does
I saw that, but is there a move away clause in the original agreement?

If it is so important for the eleven year old to have a father in her life perhaps she ought to live with him full time.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
When my ex husband and I got a divorce, he moved an hour away...then three hours away...then five hours away...and by that time he basically never visited his kids. The kids were so eager for their dad's attention that I voluntarily drove them all the way to his house or at least half way (even though he was the one who moved). I learned pretty quickly that if we agreed to meet him half way, he would leave us waiting at a convenience store or restaurant for at least an hour, sometimes two or three hours. So I figured out that it was best to just take them all the way to his house.

I also figured out that the best option was to be the one DELIVERING them to his house, because if they counted on him to come pick them up, he would either be hours late - or he'd come up with an excuse as to why it wouldn't work this weekend.

But he always managed to return them on time - or early. Interesting how his clocks only worked one way - "How can I spend as little time as possible with my kids?"

Actually, his intention was to inconvenience me, but it was the kids who really ended up suffering.

Every time he moved, he had some sort of excuse, but the bottom line was that visitation is inconvenient when you move several hours, or several states away, and because of the travel and different school districts, etc. one kid OR THE OTHER is going to be inconvenienced or short changed. The "old kids" get much less time and nurturing, and the "new kids" get many of their weekends and holidays jacked around with because of travel, missed events, etc. The new spouse often begins to resent this extra time and energy that is being siphoned from "her family" and bestowed on the "other family." NO ONE WINS. And that's why the parent of the "first kids" often simply begins to justify fewer and fewer visitations and holidays, and then the phone calls start to dwindle...and naturally, the child takes this as personal rejection and begins to feel that they are not worth much - that THEY are an inconvenience, when the reality is that the PARENT(s) created this false dilemma by choosing to put distance between them and their precious child, who yearns for their love and attention.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 AM

6 posts, read 7,370 times
It seems you are a really good dad. We all make decisions that have long term ramifications. I get that you want to get your life on with the wife and kid but you do have another child and your wife presumably knew before you got married.

My advice: stick it out until your daughter goes to college. She enters very crucial years for her development. Save a great down payment meanwhile. Good things will happen to you! Tell the wife to be patient and that you love her! When you are old you'll be proud of yourself despite struggles and challenges :-)

Last edited by RegineCrespon; 04-10-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Uh, because you wrote the post I disagree with and replied to, specifically the bolded part. Are you now disowning that post?
Never mind - you have your own agenda.

IF this were a situation where there was a job transfer and the OP needs to work - I get it. But just to move - well, kinda because we might want to . .

NO, I don't get it. I don't get people that leave one kid behind because they now have a new and improved family.

If you do - more power to you.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Its the same for both. I feel parents that abandon their children in such a manner as missing a gene or have a disorder.
The courts in our area permit custodial mothers to move all the time .... we had one where Mom moved a sizable distance, and visiting Dad just got told he could always have his 2 weeks during the summer.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
Quote:

If it is so important for the eleven year old to have a father in her life perhaps she ought to live with him full time.
She has her mother in her live as well

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM

Hasn't Dad already left, or was never fully there?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
I doubt any court is going to tell the OP he can't move.

This "seniority" stuff should apply to everyone, shouldn't it? All you folks with more than one child and in intact families, is the oldest entitled to "seniority?"

A neighbor is married to a man whose ex sounds like this, always claiming her kid has "seniority". Her kid is now 23 years old, and mean old Dad is not inclined to pay for his graduate school.
I don't know what you're talking about. Why are you even bringing up in tact families? But OK. YES, the same rules apply. You don't move away and leave your first born at age 11 because you'd PREFER to be with the other ones.

And I never said anything about a court restricting the OP from moving.

I was responding to a member who resented her father's daughter from a former relationship and her mother. And claimed he lived in fear of "the court".

YES. If you have a child - SHE should be your FIRST PRIORITY before spreading your seed further and coming up with excuses why the FIRST ONE should be ABANDONED.

And in the very least, the scale of child support payments in each state will ensure that at least you are reminded of your very very very very BASIC and unrealistically CHEAP financial responsibilities.

You can't legislate parental responsibility or COMPASSION.

This thread has NOTHING to do with paying for grad school. OR paying for anything, actually.

It's about people being MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY WIRED WRONG that leaving their kid is perfectly normal.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-10-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:

I see a theme here.

Moms are bad.

There's a very effective way to combat that. Don't create any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting