Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times

Advertisements

Just a tidbit from my experience. My older girls were 10 and 14 when their dad decided to split.

As soon as he moved out he decided that they weren't his priority, like you are thinking now and he didn't see them much even though he was living somewhat nearby. He decided his new life was the priority (even though it didn't include a new wife yet).

They both felt abandoned.
They both felt unloved.
They both felt as though everything that had come before he left was a lie since he walked away so easily.
They wondered why he didn't care enough to actually have them with him for at least his visitation times and honestly for more than the bare minimum.
They were hurt to find out things he had done that they didn't get to do with him, things they thought a family would do together.
They were sad that he didn't bother to bring them to see his family anymore.
They were devastated that he didn't love them enough to be there for their birthdays.

When he moved, they rarely heard from him at all, but the damage had already been done by him just not being there. He totally damaged his relationship with them and today, as adults at 28(soon 29) and 33, they don't consider him much of a dad. They typically ignore his rare calls. He has lived about 5 hours away for the last 10 years or so and one has been there once to see him, the other not at all. He shows up for family functions maybe once a year so they've come to expect to not see him when they go.

By withdrawing his attention from them, they don't really know him, don't want to know him anymore and feel like there is no love there either. Basically, he threw it all away with them and now there is no relationship.

So, think long and hard about if you want to continue a positive and loving relationship with your daughter. Long distance adult relationships hardly ever work and it's going to be even more difficult with a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Dude, you do realize I am 27 with a 6 year old and going on 8 years of marriage.

If you choose your old kid over your new family, you obviously weren't ready to get married again because you still are attached. If you weren't ready to move on, why did you?
As a divorced father of children, I find your attitude nothing short of pathetic. You are treating a child like an old sofa that you can leave behind because you bought a new sofa.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
@OP: My daughter is almost 10. She would be devastated if I moved farther away. I see jobs all over the country that I would like to apply to, but I don't, because it is not about me, it is about being a father to my children. I can't imagine not seeing my children on a regular basis.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM

194 posts, read 222,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Just wanted to point out that your daughter didn't get a say in anything and your distinction between your two children is at best sad and at worst .
Always happens. I really can't deal with men that do this. I guess now he'll be the perfect Dad to the 2 year old and not long ago remembered he actually had an 11 year old. Sucks.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Maybe he should file for custody of the 11 year old daughter.
They already have 50/50 custody. No judge alive it going to grant him fully custody simply because he might want to move out of state.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
My 11-year old daughter has a friend who moved here (GA) with her Mom and stepdad this year. Her father is in NY. That child gets on a plane every other weekend to visit her Dad. Think about that for a minute. That means she will never be able to join a sports team, be in the school play, etc... because she'd miss half the weekend practices. Hardly seems fair. The burden falls on her to do all the exhausting traveling, etc... I know that the family came here for a career opportunity and I get that, but so stressful for the child. In your case, would you be willing to foot the bill for her to fly to visit you every other weekend? Or once a month? Or for the summer? When would you see her, exactly? You've got to consider the reality of the expense of keeping up a relationship with her from long distance. Or would that all fall by the wayside?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
On the flip side, I know a divorced family where the Mom cheated on the Dad and they subsequently divorced. She (and her lover/new husband) had a job opportunity across the country. Dad, not wanting to lose contact with the children, managed to find a job in the same city and they all moved at the same time. Now, that's a Dad who put his money where his mouth was in terms of keeping up a relationship with his kids.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:30 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Typical male response , why am I not surprised ... Oh I have so many issues with what is stated above . what world do you live in that this would be accepted as normal behavior ...The Op owes his first child every bit as much as his 2nd child ...Unfortunately most men think like the statement above .
Gawd nothing surprises me anymore .
Wow! You're even more of a neanderthal than the guy you're responding to. Come out of the dark ages, lady. At least read the previous responses by all the other men here and read a few from women who are telling him to leave too.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah because taking your child to disneyland always makes up for months of not being there . I love how you on one hand say he shouldn't be unhappy, but on the other say she should be in order to keep the family together. Sexist much?
His viewpoint, while not being popular here, has also been made by women. Your characterization of it as sexist is false and makes you...sexist!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Dude, you do realize I am 27 with a 6 year old and going on 8 years of marriage.

If you choose your old kid over your new family, you obviously weren't ready to get married again because you still are attached. If you weren't ready to move on, why did you?
So if your wife dumps you, maybe for being so immature, you will feel absolutely free to abandon your kid except for the occasional trip to Disney and let your life revolve around your new real family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting