Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 AM

17 posts, read 15,611 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, my wife made things a real mess for our daughter and by extension, us. Our daughter is currently 18 and has been smoking marijuana since 17, so not that long. When we found out I was a lot more reasonable than my wife. I just told her the possible legal consequences and it wouldn't be allowed in our house, but when I was younger I also smoked. I thought it would be best to leave it at that but my wife made her watch all these anti-drug videos and see the govt funded websites that spread all lies and even made her write a 3 page essay on why marijuana was bad.

And we hadn't at least caught her smoking again but a few months ago as our daughter turned 18 she came back with an obvious weed smell. My wife flipped out and started berating her telling her she's going down a "dark path" that could ruin any future she has. It, of course made our daughter upset and she went crying to her room. But unbeknownst to me my wife went to our daughter's Dr and told her our daughter was a chronic pot smoker.

She thought she could help with an "intervention" It went on her medical records and now she has a hard time getting insurance. She's currently uninsured but if she wanted to be, her rates would be through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Are you asking for advice?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
How is she having a hard time getting insurance? That doesn't even add up.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:28 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
How is she having a hard time getting insurance? That doesn't even add up.
I'm guessing she would be charged the surcharge imposed on smokers through the ACA. Seems fair to me.

You and your wife both messed up OP. You, by sweeping your wife's concerns under the rug, and she by acting on them without discussing it with you.

The cheapest insurance option at this point may be through school, is she planning on college?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
Shame on you for not sticking by your wife's side. On big topics like this, parents need to stand together. When the two of you play for opposite teams on big topics, you confuse the child. And btw, she's right. Here's why:

1. Increased risk of heart attack

2. If she gets arrested, that's something on her criminal record (and maybe you can get the charge removed if your state has a First Offender's Law)

3. Possible memory damage

4. Some chemicals in marijuana are linked to cancer

5. Heavy smokers have changed in blood flow to the memory and attention portions of the brain

Old 11-21-2015, 07:39 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
How would the insurance company know she smokes? On the application you just check no. I'm not sure how the company she is applying with would even know that. They don't have access to her medical records.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
How would the insurance company know she smokes? On the application you just check no. I'm not sure how the company she is applying with would even know that. They don't have access to her medical records.
If the doctor put it in her medical records, the insurance company will have access to it. And if she checks "no" they can deny coverage for fraud. Pre-existing conditions are covered, but you must be a non-smoker for a minimum of one year to have the surcharge removed.

Maybe daughter needs to pony up for the surcharge if she doesn't want to quit.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
She should be able to be on your insurance until she is like 26

Old 11-21-2015, 08:14 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Shame on you for not sticking by your wife's side. On big topics like this, parents need to stand together. When the two of you play for opposite teams on big topics, you confuse the child. And btw, she's right. Here's why:

1. Increased risk of heart attack

2. If she gets arrested, that's something on her criminal record (and maybe you can get the charge removed if your state has a First Offender's Law)

3. Possible memory damage

4. Some chemicals in marijuana are linked to cancer

5. Heavy smokers have changed in blood flow to the memory and attention portions of the brain
Why is it not shame on her for not sticking by his side? Just curious...

Whether our kids choose to eat a dozen twinkies a day, join the military and go to war or smoke weed, we have little to no control over our kids behavior once they are adults. Dad thought it best to stay out of her business. She's an adult. Why is he the one who is wrong?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:22 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Lack of communication with you and your wife.

For a couple of years my wife and I would chuckle when my daughter (who was 17 at the time), would come home obviously high and thinking she was hiding it from us. I wasn't a hypocrite because I've smoked since I was 15. My wife and I discussed, and one day our solution was as follows:

I asked my daughter to come here for a second. I took out a joint and asked her if she'd like to smoke. She got mad at me, saying you knew all this time and made me take my bike down the street in the cold to smoke? Then we all laughed and toked.

She's smart, and we explained it's her risk to take, and I said (with my wife's 100% approval - she only smoked occasionally) that I have smoked most of my life and couldn't be a hypocrite with her and tell her not to. Tell her the risks of getting caught. Tell her the impairment dangers of driving. That's it. What's the difference anyways as alcohol is more dangerous on so many levels and it's legal and of course I knew my kids drank at parties etc.

The lack of communication with you and your wife mucked this up. Never should have gotten this far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting