Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times

Advertisements

Yeh, your wife messed up BIG time....pretty rotten of her to go finking to the doc.
She sounds way more detrimental to your daughters well-being than the pot smoking.
Your daughter will grow to resent her for that.
I think YOU handled it the best...your wife should have stood by you....not the other way around.
I'd be very pissed if I had a wife who did what yours did....she was very wrong, and if she suffers consequences because of it, it serves her right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Why is it not shame on her for not sticking by his side? Just curious...

Whether our kids choose to eat a dozen twinkies a day, join the military and go to war or smoke weed, we have little to no control over our kids behavior once they are adults. Dad thought it best to stay out of her business. She's an adult. Why is he the one who is wrong?
Somewhere in the middle would have been good. Pot is not the end of the world. She's an adult. An honest conversation about the possible consequences would have been far more productive than running to the doctor. At 18, mom shouldn't have anything more to do with her daughter's medical decisions unless she is asked.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
She should be able to be on your insurance until she is like 26
The question must be answered for each person on the policy. And children can be covered under their parents until 26 unless they file their own tax return. Once they are no longer considered a dependent, they must get their own policy.

Last edited by Mattie; 11-21-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 15,611 times
To those saying I should have met in the middle, what middle is there when one side is completely reasonable while the other isn't? I did talk to her about possible legal ramifications and other such aspects but since she was 17, almost 18 and my wife started her crusade what middle ground could there have been past just letting her know what could happen and telling her she can't have any in our house? metalmancpa that was awesome! If it weren't for my wife I'd tell her to get me some and have a celebratory smoke for her 18th birthday.

As for insurance, yeah now that it's in her medical records especially the way my wife talked about it, insurance companies can see it.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:10 AM

17 posts, read 15,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Shame on you for not sticking by your wife's side. On big topics like this, parents need to stand together. When the two of you play for opposite teams on big topics, you confuse the child. And btw, she's right. Here's why:

1. Increased risk of heart attack

2. If she gets arrested, that's something on her criminal record (and maybe you can get the charge removed if your state has a First Offender's Law)

3. Possible memory damage

4. Some chemicals in marijuana are linked to cancer

5. Heavy smokers have changed in blood flow to the memory and attention portions of the brain
Funny how just about every person I grew up with smoking weed (and I am 43) are successful law-abiding adults that are still alive, happy and healthy. Also, I've known people that have smoked cigarettes that got cancer but never marijuana.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM

18,396 posts, read 19,027,378 times
your daughter can go to a different doctor and start fresh.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:29 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstwo View Post
To those saying I should have met in the middle, what middle is there when one side is completely reasonable while the other isn't? I did talk to her about possible legal ramifications and other such aspects but since she was 17, almost 18 and my wife started her crusade what middle ground could there have been past just letting her know what could happen and telling her she can't have any in our house? metalmancpa that was awesome! If it weren't for my wife I'd tell her to get me some and have a celebratory smoke for her 18th birthday.

As for insurance, yeah now that it's in her medical records especially the way my wife talked about it, insurance companies can see it.
What's unreasonable is for you to think you can ignore your wife's feelings on the matter. You need to accept she acted out of concern for her daughter, not you.

What's done is done as far as insurance goes. Since you have no problem with your daughter smoking pot, pay up and get her covered.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The question must be answered for each person on the policy. And children can be covered under their parents until 26 unless they file their own tax return. Once they are no longer considered a dependent, they must get their own policy.
I think you are incorrect. Adult children can remain on a parent's plan until age 26 even if married and even if they are not a dependent. Part of the purpose of this part of the ACA was that many new college graduates or other young people had jobs that did not provide insurance. This was a means of helping in that situation.

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adu...dren-under-26/

Old 11-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstwo View Post

You and your wife should have found middle ground BEFORE she started her crusade.

Why would the doctor even take your wife's word and add that to your daughter's file?

Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I think you are incorrect. Adult children can remain on a parent's plan until age 26 even if married and even if they are not a dependent. Part of the purpose of this part of the ACA was that many new college graduates or other young people had jobs that did not provide insurance. This was a means of helping in that situation.

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adu...dren-under-26/
I don't know how it is now, but I know my parents used to claim me as a dependent, kept me on their insurance, and I still filed a tax return because I worked from age 16-24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting