Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:12 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
So you think it's okay for a school administrator to beat a child for the transgressions of the mother? No.
Call social services if you have to, but don't hit the kid!
Is there a different video because I didnt see the child get hit at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Sorry, but if I had a kid and the local school district told me my son could face a suspension or a spanking by a stranger, there would be hell to pay. I don't hit my own (well-behaved) dogs, so why on earth would I let someone else lay hands on my child? (And I would find 3 days of missing school to be unacceptable in terms of falling behind.)

What a stupid and dangerous message to convey to a child regarding boundaries and authorities. The Catholic Church was big on corporal punishment back in the day, and look how well that worked out for them.

Community service or detention on a weekend or Friday evening makes the most sense, frankly. Let the little brats lose some of their weekend - that's what my school used to do. That's what they care about.

How about actual consequences at home. Unless you as a parent choose what community service, then you are just handing over your job to someone else.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That part is true, it was covered extensively on our local news. And, supposedly, prior warnings were given to the little boy. It still doesn't answer how 31 other states manage to handle similar situations without bringing out a paddle. Good grief, that thing looked huge compared to that tiny boy.

I will never understand how an adult smacking a kid thinks it teaches them not to smack other kids.
Because whether the child is punished with a spanking or something else, they learn there will be a consequence for their poor choice, and if the consequence is uncomfortable enough, then they won't do it again. Parents who ignore or brush off their child's behavior are worse, in my eyes, than spankers. Kids that hit another kid also learn that the kid they hit or spit on will hit them back.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I think the mother and/or father needed a paddling!

How is a five year old responsible for being out or late to school????
Exactly. Not the kids fault.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Because whether the child is punished with a spanking or something else, they learn there will be a consequence for their poor choice, and if the consequence is uncomfortable enough, then they won't do it again. Parents who ignore or brush off their child's behavior are worse, in my eyes, than spankers. Kids that hit another kid also learn that the kid they hit or spit on will hit them back.
There are other options. Schools should not be in the business of using a discipline method that has been proven, over and over, to increase aggression and lower IQ.

Nobody is advocating for ignoring misbehavior.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 PM

I know some very smart people who were spanked from time to time. Considering I don't know what groups are being studied, I doubt the validity of their findings. Did they study kids who got a light swat or 2, or kids who were severely beaten, scarred and abused? I have a sister who is a cancer researcher, and she was spanked.
And no, most didn't say that. I actually fall in the camp that thinks there are larger problems at home. That boy is a product of young, inattentive parents for sure.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
I know some very smart people who were spanked from time to time. Considering I don't know what groups are being studied, I doubt the validity of their findings. Did they study kids who got a light swat or 2, or kids who were severely beaten, scarred and abused? I have a sister who is a cancer researcher, and she was spanked.
And no, most didn't say that. I actually fall in the camp that thinks there are larger problems at home. That boy is a product of young, inattentive parents for sure.
All you have to do is Google. I'm not going to list dozens of links. But, I assure you, they are through highly respected channels.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
A mom stood and filmed her kid being spanked because she couldn't stop it

From the mother's FB:

What an awful thing, this is ridiculous and should not be allowed!
does this still go on in US schools.... its wrong, breaking the law in the UK and cruel.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
LOL

Don't let the facts get in the way of a compelling viral video!!

Context ALWAYS matters.
what facts this child was terrified, hes only five for gods sake.. no child should be subjected to this sort of cruelty.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
so you know smart people who have been spanked, what the hell does that mean... that the cruelty put on to thise chldren makes them clever, jeezus your not real...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting