Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times

Advertisements

I firmly believe that physical discipline is a parent's prerogative and only within the confines of their own home. Personally I think using physical disciple period is downright cruel and ineffective. There are dozens of much more effective means of correcting misbehavior than physical "correction". If I had a kid and some school official hit my kid, it would be the last time they ever hit anyone.

The idea that a public school is allowed to use physical discipline on students in 2016 is downright offensive ... but then again this happened down South where backwardness is the norm. New York abolished corporal punishment in schools in 1985 - before I was even born - and I would venture a guess that most school districts discontinued the practice well before via district policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
A mom stood and filmed her kid being spanked because she couldn't stop it

From the mother's FB:

What an awful thing, this is ridiculous and should not be allowed!
Is saw this and I'm calling bull****. The mom consented to it. She's just trying to make the school look bad and get her 15 minutes of fame.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I heard on the ABC Evening News and a couple of other news outlets, this child that was spanked had many misbehavior problems including spitting on someone and threatening someone with a knife. These are some serious behavior issues, particularly for a 5 year old. When a kid misbehaves with such serious infractions, it destroys the classroom atmosphere and causes other children to misbehave. One who acts in such a manner should have been taken out of the classroom long ago. The school officials who were so eager to spank him should gone that route. Add that anti-society behavior with all of those unexcused absences and it seems to me that the local social services department should have been involved with this household and school officials. Were they? If not, why not?

I have no answer or response to the speaking, but media coverage has been very unfair at best. The media goes out and obtains video of incidents that they know will inflame and cause outrage among the public to improve their ratings. They conveniently leave out the rest of the story as they have done here. No different than the sleazy coverage of fights on airplanes and meltdowns at ticket counters, painting people as victims who should have been shown as perpetrators.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
If my son had done this, the school would've called me and when he got home I'd busted his buns myself and made him apologize to the teacher for being a brat. "Poor kid" my foot. The mother should do 3 things--apologize for her child's behavior, assure them it won't happen again, and handle him at home.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:28 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
I think one thing that can be agreed on no matter what else is this: 20 something truancies and physically attacking other kids is a sure sign that mom and dad are full of fail when it comes to their kid.

I just couldn't stand that video. I swear it's like the two women trying to spank him were just enjoying mentally screwing with that kid. If they were so determined to spank him, then hold him down, give him the swat, and at least get it over with. The clip in the OP shows they even let him go to run back to his mother, which couldn't have helped the situation any. (Note--that does not mean I approve of them doing this. Only that if they were insistent upon doing so, then at least get it over and done with quickly instead of mentally torturing the kid as well.)

Old 04-15-2016, 10:31 PM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Growing up on a lake where sea planes landed I woke up one morning to see a crashed plane in the lake. The tail was sticking up out of the water- I was about 11 years old so I rowed the boat out put on my flippers and mask and dove down into the plane to salvage some cool stuff.

I set up a little cockpit in my room aircraft compass and all....A week later the pilot showed up at our house wanting his stuff back. My mother called me to the door and questioned me in front of him on whether I stole his stuff...I said yes- My mother to the pilots dismay smacked me hard across the face. The pilot said "You did not have to do that" referring to the slap.

My mother threw me under the bus that morning. She defused the situation - no cops were called....the pilot went on his way and was sorry to even have come to our house. I guess my mother was playing the system..better a slap than a court room.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If my son had done this, the school would've called me and when he got home I'd busted his buns myself and made him apologize to the teacher for being a brat. "Poor kid" my foot. The mother should do 3 things--apologize for her child's behavior, assure them it won't happen again, and handle him at home.
Great idea. Teach a child that violence is wrong by subjecting him to violence. What could possibly be confusing to a kid about that?!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:14 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If she were a parent likethis the school would not have to discipline her little darling.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:20 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
If she were a parent likethis the school would not have to discipline her little darling.
Exactly. This parent has failed in so many ways, being so sloppy about seeing to it that he's at school to the point that truancy has entered the picture. The other--apparently not disciplining her child and then becoming upset when the school dared to do so.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:48 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Growing up on a lake where sea planes landed I woke up one morning to see a crashed plane in the lake. The tail was sticking up out of the water- I was about 11 years old so I rowed the boat out put on my flippers and mask and dove down into the plane to salvage some cool stuff.

I set up a little cockpit in my room aircraft compass and all....A week later the pilot showed up at our house wanting his stuff back. My mother called me to the door and questioned me in front of him on whether I stole his stuff...I said yes- My mother to the pilots dismay smacked me hard across the face. The pilot said "You did not have to do that" referring to the slap.

My mother threw me under the bus that morning. She defused the situation - no cops were called....the pilot went on his way and was sorry to even have come to our house. I guess my mother was playing the system..better a slap than a court room.
It doesn't sound like you even did anything wrong. A plane crashed, that is a wreckage. You were being a little kid. Someone should have slapped her that somehow her 11 year old managed to row onto a lake, dive for, retrieve and set up a cockpit in his bedroom with out her noticing. I am sorry you went through that, you didn't deserve that. I don't think it was to keep you out of a court room, it was to preserve her ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting