Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:36 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I watched the video and wish I hadn't. I'm not someone that gets upset easily but that made me sick to me stomach. I can't believe that such a thing is allowed in a civilised country.
Large parts of the US do not qualify as a civilised country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
This reminds me of the situation I faced over and over again with four kids in our local public school system.

Every year the schools would send home a permission slip asking for parental permission for paddling. Every year I sent the same note back to the school:

"I do not give you permission to hit my child with a 2" x 4" piece of wood. If I did that, and someone on your staff found out about it and reported it, I would be investigated for child abuse. I fail to see how giving permission for a stranger do it to a child of mine is any more morally superior. If you have a discipline problem with my child, contact me and I will discipline that child at home."

The thing is - I did follow through with discipline at home.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think her point was the school shouldn't be doing that at all, so it shouldn't be on the table to be a chosen option.
I understood her point. Mine was that her distaste for corporal punishment should not limit what other people may choose for their children.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
No sorry, I was not clear. I agree that parents should always be able to make choices for their minor children. But paddling by a school administrator should not have been one of the choices offered to her in the first place. The choice should have been something like detention vs suspension. Then the mother gets to choose.
That is still denying choice to the parent(s).

The parent(s) should be the only party who has the ability to choose what corrective measures may or may not be used on their child(ren).

Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I understood her point. Mine was that her distaste for corporal punishment should not limit what other people may choose for their children.
Schools.should not be in the business of corporal punishment at all. Regardless of what "other people may choose".

Old 04-18-2016, 09:28 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
I agree that schools should not be in the business of using corporal punishment at all.

I don't get why the people who think that the public schools are bungling education think that schools won't bungle corporal punishment. If you want the government out of the business of parenting, you should certainly include the schools in that equation.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,273 times
Quote:
That is still denying choice to the parent(s).

The parent(s) should be the only party who has the ability to choose what corrective measures may or may not be used on their child(ren).

Denying the parent the choice to punish by paddling by a school official is not denying corporal punishment to the parent. It's denying corporal punishment to the school. The parent is still allowed to use corporal punishment (within the bounds of the law) at home.

Unless you are saying you prefer the government to parent your child for you? You don't think you can perform corporal punishment correctly at home, so it is up to the school to do it for you, because of course the government and it's representatives will surely know how to hit your children more effectively than you can? Perhaps we should outlaw all punishment at home, and only let school administrators do it from now on. Of course, the parent still gets to choose. The school sends home a sheet with all possible punishments on it, the parent chooses, and every time the child misbehaves the parent sends that sheet to school so that the administrator can perform the punishment. Because it should be the school's job to raise the kid, not the parent's, right?

No. My kid, my responsibility. The school is only allowed to do punishments related to school. Extra assignments, detentions, work in the school, suspension, expulsion. The rest of parenting, including administering or refraining to administer any corporal punishment, is MY domain. Get the school out of it.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Denying the parent the choice to punish by paddling by a school official is not denying corporal punishment to the parent. It's denying corporal punishment to the school. The parent is still allowed to use corporal punishment (within the bounds of the law) at home.

Unless you are saying you prefer the government to parent your child for you? You don't think you can perform corporal punishment correctly at home, so it is up to the school to do it for you, because of course the government and it's representatives will surely know how to hit your children more effectively than you can? Perhaps we should outlaw all punishment at home, and only let school administrators do it from now on. Of course, the parent still gets to choose. The school sends home a sheet with all possible punishments on it, the parent chooses, and every time the child misbehaves the parent sends that sheet to school so that the administrator can perform the punishment. Because it should be the school's job to raise the kid, not the parent's, right?

No. My kid, my responsibility. The school is only allowed to do punishments related to school. Extra assignments, detentions, work in the school, suspension, expulsion. The rest of parenting, including administering or refraining to administer any corporal punishment, is MY domain. Get the school out of it.
Amen and amen.

If a teacher or administrator suspected me of hitting my kid with a board, they would likely report me to Child Protective Services, and yet the school can do this? No bueno.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Time to file a lawsuit against the school and this sick principal fired promptly.
That'll set a great example for the kid.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
I would address this but people said it for me. So, "Yeah. What they said"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting