Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
May well have been the first discipline the kid's ever had. More of the same may keep him out of prison at 19.
Right. Because so few convicts were ever spanked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
This thread is hilarious.

{snip} If the brat didn't want a spanking maybe he should have listened to his teacher's warnings. And yes, 5 years old is old enough to listen to rules set by an adult authority figure. "Injure him" lmao really? Come on. You people are way too soft for this world. I fully support corporal punishment. if they just swatted him and got it over with, bet you $100 the kid would remember that next time he felt the need to spit on someone. Wouldn't do it. Now he's going to remember how his mom tried to let him get away with it, and will likely do it again. Yall are so dramatic.

If you want truly disturbing videos I can sure give you some. Stories, too. this is nothing more than a brat throwing a tantrum.
A-freaking men.

Obviously there is a line one can cross in being too intense with discipline, but it's ridiculous where some draw that line nowadays. All they seem to care about is a child supposedly not having his/her feelings hurt. That child loses that right the minute they disobey their parent's or teacher's orders. To me, short of branding with an iron like we do to cows to "mark" them, whatever it takes to get a child to listen, you do it.

Our daughter is just shy of 9. I like for her to learn how to do things, but I like it done reasonably well without a lot of chaos. To wit, in feeding our dogs, I think she's old enough to help with that, but when it takes it upon herself to feed them on her own, she makes a huge mess of it, using way too much dog food and spilling it all over the ground vs getting it in the bowl. Then she'll leave the bag out where it becomes ruined by the elements, I typically have it in an old cooler for protection.

Anyway, I've told her NICELY that until this is no longer the case she was to no longer feed our dogs herself, she was to do it alongside of me. However, she'd had occasion to not obey me and do it anyway. I would gently remind her, GENTLY mind you, to again AS I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU do not feed the animals on your own. One day she did it AGAIN. This time I fixed it. I scolded her harshly, she put the dog food back in the container, but then she could not pick up the heavy cinder block that I had on top of this storage container to keep the lid shut. Mind you, this is probably a 40-50 lbs cinder block. She kept trying to pick it up, and it was causing her grand anguish doing so, and she was screaming. I stood right there, watching, and refused to help, and even trash-talked her "oh you think you're grown huh, well go ahead, let's see it."

She FINALLY got it up there, upon which I knocked it off and made her do it again. She grunted and cried even more, I trash-talked her even more "think you're something don't you, going against my orders when you HAVE NO RIGHT TO DO THAT EVER!!!! Now you're paying the price, isn't this fun?" FINALLY she got it up there.

I knocked it off again.

This time, I intervened "do you want to keep doing things your way, or my way?" She said "your way," I quickly picked up the cinder block myself in barely a second and then I say "good answer, because doing things YOUR WAY and going against me is ALWAYS going to be unpleasant, and the next time I catch you near this dog food again it will be more of the same."

It hasn't happened again since.

Problem solved.

In the days since, she's been wonderful and we've been very loving in our relationship. Anyone who hears of this and says "oh poor girl, she's scarred for life," I say "phooey." She learned a lesson, and that lesson is, DO WHAT YOUR PARENTS SAY. A child has NO RIGHT to disobey their parents. I expect 100% obedience every single second of the day, ALWAYS. Is it going to be that perfect? No, but in EXPECTING it and standing up to it (and 99.7% of the time it doesn't look anything like this), I sure see to it that it's darn close to that, and no our children have not been scarred for life. "They'll grow up to hate you," probably not, but even if they do, that's on THEM, (a) for not obeying and bringing this all on themselves and (b) for not having the right attitude about it all. Short of floggings etc, your job as a child is to obey your parents, it is in fact the very reason you EXIST. Disobey, and short of floggings etc they are well within their rights to do whatever they have to do to fix the problem.

So don't tell me this woman can't straighten her brat out. All she's got to do is deliver a strong message about who the boss is around there and I can guarantee you all of this will end on a dime.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
For someone who doesn't want chaos, you sure like to create it. Your poor wife. Do you scream at her and berate her too?

Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
May well have been the first discipline the kid's ever had. More of the same may keep him out of prison at 19.
Meh. Hitting a kid who already has major emotional/aggression issues and a crappy home life sounds like a great way to ensure the kid has future contact with the criminal justice system.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:42 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
I would wonder why the fight? Did this kid start it, did they both spit, was the other kid doing anything provocative?

This boy was spanked because he fought and spit on another child only. The Mom was the one with the truancy problem.

I would think a teacher observing the boys could have sorted out the problem mosh Skosh without the need to paddle the boy.

For all we know the other boy was repeating what he heard at home about the worthless truant causing mother who was failing to raise her son properly and a fight ensued. Maybe the truant kid is a juvenile delinquent in training. Maybe family services needs to get involved. But IMO this could have been handled better prior to the paddling. And if the paddling show had been done properly I wouldn't have complained

Old 04-16-2016, 02:49 PM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
what I didn't like was the ongoing threat-- I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it now-- they tortured the boy mentally- why? the mom too- It's like come here-- wackata-- now get back in class-- its could have been simple the tortured the boy and they need to send a person from the CPS to the house see whats going on. Why hes been out so much. I did not like this - we pop our kids and we just do it- they laugh and on we go

Old 04-16-2016, 03:08 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Sweet Jesus.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
A mom stood and filmed her kid being spanked because she couldn't stop it

From the mother's FB:

What an awful thing, this is ridiculous and should not be allowed!

How can a little kid be held responsible for his own truancy? How can giving him a paddling absolve the mother of any jail time? What a stupid notion. Can your kid take a paddling to get you off a DUI charge?

Old 04-16-2016, 05:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,865,796 times
Build a bridge and get over it people. Maybe if the kid got spanked at home, he wouldn't need to be spanked at school. You gotta learn sometimes.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:28 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
For someone who doesn't want chaos, you sure like to create it. Your poor wife. Do you scream at her and berate her too?
You should really look up his posting history....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting