Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:17 PM

486 posts, read 832,491 times

Advertisements

Maybe the parent only invited a certain number of people to the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:15 PM

439 posts, read 517,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I remember an occasion when teachers acted like they were the mean girls still in high school.

As a high school junior, I was asked -- completely out of the blue -- to attend a dinner for the National Merit Scholars, which was an invitation-only club at our school. The teachers chose the club members. I went. I don't recall exactly how many other juniors were there but I don't think it was more than a dozen.

After the meal, one of the teachers went around the table mysteriously and "surprised" each junior with an invitation to join the club. I kept thinking I'd be tapped any moment since my test scores and grades were easily high enough. It didn't happen. Why was I there, then?

It seems I was invited for the express purpose of being passed over. It was cruel and completely uncalled-for. People in a position of authority should never pull such puerile pranks but apparently some just can't help themselves.
Wow, that behavior is odd...grateful I never had teachers like that.

Someone must have been seriously wrong with those teachers.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM

339 posts, read 665,664 times
Sounds like a good life lesson and opportunity to talk to your daughter about these kinds of things. I think you're taking it way too personally and thinking and worrying about this more than your daughter. You didn't really ask a direct question so not sure what the intent of your post was?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Small people use exclusion to minor things as a form of power because that's the only power they have.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Maybe the parent only invited a certain number of people to the party.
So what? It's still rude to invite some children in front of other children who are not invited.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
I feel like you handled it just fine. Sometimes I believe people just don't think.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
I forgot to ask, was it just boys invited or were there some girls too?

Old 10-24-2016, 09:52 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I forgot to ask, was it just boys invited or were there some girls too?
Yeah, they might get cooties.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momi2 View Post
Hi,

Just wanted thoughts on this. My daughter was playing with the kids next door. It was time to come in so when I went out to get her I saw all the kids talking to a neighbor. The neighbor is the mother of a boy a bit younger than my daughter. My daughter comes in through the patio doors upset and the next door kid walks right behind her telling me my daughter is upset because she didn't get invited to the party. Not only did she not receive an invite but the boy runs to my patio, sits on the chairs and starts telling me he is having a party. My daughter can hear all this and the boy's mom is still right outside her house seeing all this (we live in townhouses so we share some of the back yard- no fencing). When I'm finally alone with my daughter she asks me why the mom didn't invite her. Now, this boy plays as much with my daughter as with the other kids. Of course I don't think the boy had bad intentions, but I do think the mother was incredibly inconsiderate and gave no care in the world that she was hurting my kids feelings. If the boy had been giving out the invitations it would have been different but it was the mother and my daughter was right there with the rest of the kids. Also, I'm not expecting my kid to be included in all parties but there are ways to be sensitive about this. I want to keep my daughter innocent as much as possible but I don't think I'm doing her any favors by sugar coating things. I explained to her that it was ok if she doesn't get invited to some birthday parties, I also reminded her of how she gets invited to many during the year. I also pointed out that the neighbor was rude in inviting other kids like that in front of her if she wasn't going to invite her. I told her we (my husband and I) would not do that to other kids and reminded her of how we invited her friends to her last birthday (mailing invitations to some of the girls in her classroom so the rest of the kids would not get hurt). I also told her that now I would not feel comfortable if she went to the boys birthday because now we knew the mom was rude. She has reached the age (6) where children can be mean to each other and I've been teaching her that we can't force people to be nice. People will be nice if they want and no one can make someone be nice. So when I mentioned the mother being rude, she understood me immediately. She got over the issue almost as soon as the conversation was over. I don't feel the need to talk to the neighbor. I've learned myself that not everyone will act the way I would and more importantly they will not care (clearly she didn't). But it doesn't stop shocking me that people can be thoughtless, inconsiderate and rude.
Hmmm.....I was sort of sympathizing with you until you shared that you'd done the same thing to classmates for your daughter's birthday. Maybe this happening will change your mind for her birthday this year.

Otherwise you handled it well enough to appease your daughter....Let it go now.

ETA Curious, was this little boy excluded from your daughter's birthday party???....did you invite any of the neighbor kids??

Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momi2 View Post
we invited her friends to her last birthday (mailing invitations to some of the girls in her classroom so the rest of the kids would not get hurt)
Turnabout is fair play, now isn't it?

Just because you mailed the invitations doesn't mean those other girls didn't brag about being invited to the party in front of the other children in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting