Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's common but there are quite a few people who think that because you are a stay at home mom that you must have nothing to do during the day. Some clueless people will take that a step further and believe that because you must not be doing anything, you're available to do things for them during that time. Babysitting is one of those things. Again, not common but there are always a small subset of people who not only think that stay at home moms are just sitting around doing nothing but that because of that, they must be free to help out with whatever one might need help with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

But I remember the 80's & it was different. Moms didn't act entitled; they were grateful. And willing to help if you needed something as well. It was seen as "neighborly".
I think times have changed, people no longer reciprocate. They do feel entitled.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:38 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
I’ve been a SAHM for over 7 years and never had anyone ask me to watch their kid for free, except maybe for an hour after school because they had a late appointment or something.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would have called the police in that situation.
You can bet I would've if she had left that child there.

Oh, you mean with the scam?

It wasn't until the cops came in for coffee and told me she had scammed the gas station across the street that I realized it had been a scam. And she's there with what looked like a 4 year old in pajamas yet! I really believed her, but no way was I going to give her money out of the register.

----------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to parents wanting to leave their children with a neighbor, I think I would help out IF it was a one time deal only and I knew the parents were in a bind, and also, if there wasn't such an expectation that I would do it. It's one thing to ask someone if they'd like to babysit a kid while the parent is gone, but something else when that parent expects a SAHM to say yes and throws a fit if she says no, or expects the SAHM to babysit on a regular basis for free.

And you know, SAHMs don't need to be busy at home all the time to say she would prefer not to babysit someone else's kids. Maybe the SAHM just wants to take care of her own kids, maybe she likes the down time while her kid is napping so she can clean the house, watch a TV show, or eat lunch. Just because a SAHM isn't running around like a chicken with her head cut off doesn't mean she has a ton of free time and would like to fill it by looking after another child. And no one should assume that.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And you know, SAHMs don't need to be busy at home all the time to say she would prefer not to babysit someone else's kids. Maybe the SAHM just wants to take care of her own kids, maybe she likes the down time while her kid is napping so she can clean the house, watch a TV show, or eat lunch. Just because a SAHM isn't running around like a chicken with her head cut off doesn't mean she has a ton of free time and would like to fill it by looking after another child. And no one should assume that.
I agree. I even know women who stay home, don't have kids and never plan to. But I'd never assume they would want to spend their free time doing errands for me or anyone else. For all I know they could be super busy. Or, they might just enjoy watching t.v. all day and going shopping, which is their right to enjoy that free time.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:32 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Right, it's word of mouth, people in the neighborhood tend to learn which parents are home during the day. It's also friends of friends. Most of the moms who congregate on the playground after school are SAHMs. We all know each other's work status. I was asked by a friend, for a friend of hers (a woman I'd never met) to watch her child for a week. She said her regular childcare had fallen through and she was in a bind.
And you are sure she meant for you to watch the child for free? That sounds like she was just putting feelers out to see if you'd be open to babysitting for a week, presumably for pay. And it's very different from a stranger walking up to you and ask you to watch their child, LOL. Yes, I could see a friend saying, "my friend is looking for someone to watch her kid for a week while they're in between daycares. Would you be interested?" I would not assume they meant for no pay. I actually did that once and I was paid what the mom was paying the daycare center for the two weeks that she was in between daycares.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
And you are sure she meant for you to watch the child for free? That sounds like she was just putting feelers out to see if you'd be open to babysitting for a week, presumably for pay. And it's very different from a stranger walking up to you and ask you to watch their child, LOL. Yes, I could see a friend saying, "my friend is looking for someone to watch her kid for a week while they're in between daycares. Would you be interested?" I would not assume they meant for no pay. I actually did that once and I was paid what the mom was paying the daycare center for the two weeks that she was in between daycares.
There are lots of daycares in my area, drop-in daycares. She could easily have found something if she was willing to pay. Perhaps she would have offered to pay if I asked. Who knows. Would you leave your 4 year old child with someone you'd never met? I sure wouldn't. I don't think that's safe or smart.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:42 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I’ve been a SAHM for over 7 years and never had anyone ask me to watch their kid for free, except maybe for an hour after school because they had a late appointment or something.
Agree. I was never asked either or anyone other SAHM I knew...

Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
There are lots of daycares in my area, drop-in daycares. She could easily have found something if she was willing to pay. Perhaps she would have offered to pay if I asked. Who knows. Would you leave your 4 year old child with someone you'd never met? I sure wouldn't. I don't think that's safe or smart.
I wouldn't, but I know people who would. But right, I'd forgotten that you have drop-in daycares. We don't have anything like that here.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Word of mouth. Not sure why you are needing to invalidate the op's experience.
There is a world of difference between saying “someone said this to me” and making a whole thread generalizing “why do people think SAHMs will babysit”. One is personal experience, and the other is so far beyond making generalizations as to be ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting