Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:29 PM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Did your son or daughter date or marry a vegetarian?

We're you supportive and accommodating?

How has it affected family gatherings?
Is this for real.....

Old 12-26-2017, 01:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
This made me laugh because my mother is very southern and is a great cook--in part because she puts pork/pork fat/duck fat in everything. One of my brothers has a new girlfriend who is vegan. My mother is trying to be supportive but it's like she has a mental block. As we were planning Christmas dinner she keeps asking my sister and me: "But I can use cheese, and K will eat it, right?" "No, mama" "So I can make [recipe with a pound of butter] and she will eat that, right?" "No, mama".
It was all fine and it isn't as if we felt like every dish had to be vegan but we wanted the girl to have something to eat!
And my mother will have to adjust better because they got engaged on Christmas day. Now we are all planning a vegan wedding for July...
And, when our daughter was a vegan I also learned that there were foods that she couldn't eat that were rather surprising such as gelatin and many "natural" flavorings & food additives.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-26-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 02:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
My younger son, married a Vegetarian 35 years ago, and he converted to a Vegetarian. He has worked as a head chef for 5 star resorts, and restaurants. He cooks different when at work, and when at home.

At one of the most exclusive resorts in the country, he was head chef. He came out with Vegetarian main dishes for those that wanted them, and surprise, surprise they sold a lot more of these than they even estimated would happen.

One day one of the waiters came into the kitchen and said one of the customers was angry, and said my son was trying to poison him. He went out, and the complaint was it tasted so good, that one bite told him it could not be a a vegetarian food. My son explained he was a vegetarian and had developed that dish for his own family. He broke it down and told him what each part was. The customer just shook his head in amazement. He had a hard time believing anything that tasted that good was truly vegetarian food. The other thing my son remembered, was it was Dick Van Dyke. Yes that one, as I said it was a resort that catered to the upper crust.

When we have a big family dinner when we are having a number of family come home, he cooks the big dinners. He cooks to satisfy me, and other meat eaters, and vegetarian meals for he, his wife, and my wife who has also converted, so my wife and I just buy the food he needs for the meals, get out of the kitchen and let him do the cooking. Kind of nice to have a true 5 star chef, prepare the meals.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:33 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
For some insights, see the movie "My Great Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Annoying Greek aunt offers to cook them dinner.
Daughter: "Ian is a vegetarian; he doesn't eat meat."
Aunt: "He don't eat no meat??"
Daughter: "No, he doesn't eat meat."
Aunt: "That's OK, that's OK. I make lamb."

https://youtu.be/9Fm5buPDU9g

Old 12-26-2017, 02:42 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Is this for real.....
Yes, maybe a bit different because I am vegan but I have to put with family members saying its too hard work to do vegan meals as well, despite the fact that they could just do vegan and everyone could eat that. Simple.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:11 PM

666 posts, read 643,584 times
Are we bored over the holidays?

As a long time vegetarian, generally the only way family gatherings are affected is when Uncle Lenny notices someone is eating a veg plate and goes into an unsolicited 10 minute monologue about how much he just loooooves to eat meat.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:39 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Yes, maybe a bit different because I am vegan but I have to put with family members saying its too hard work to do vegan meals as well, despite the fact that they could just do vegan and everyone could eat that. Simple.
Sorry, but nobody likes that stuff. If we did, we’d be vegan too. Can’t you just eat the side dishes? They can easily accommodate you by not adding butter, or other dairy, to vegetables.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:06 PM

344 posts, read 245,232 times
All 3 of my children ARE vegetarians. Of two that are married their spouses are not vegetarian. My husband only eats chicken, pork sausage, and fish. A normal night in my house is 3 different mains - only pasta or pizza nights are easy. Fortunately for me, my DIL helped out a lot this Christmas making a few veggie dishes. (Thanksgiving without turkey was not enjoyable for me!)

Old 12-26-2017, 07:07 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
I honestly don't know any vegetarians!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
My youngest son is married to a vegetarian. She has shown me how to many of her delicious recipes and never expects special treatment when we dine together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting