Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times

Advertisements

my brother is a sometimes vegetarian, but always strives to eat healthy. When he hosted Thanksgiving, we had a fabulous tofu turkey; it tasted just like dressing, so I loved it. Then hubby and I went home and cooked a real turkey, which I also loved.

The only conflict was with my mom, who wanted to do her signature dessert, involving store piecrust, coolwhip, and jello pudding. SIL found whole-food options (whole wheat piecrust, real whipped cream, and I don't remember what). It tasted fine, but mom complained repeatedly that it was better HER way.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
my brother is a sometimes vegetarian, but always strives to eat healthy. When he hosted Thanksgiving, we had a fabulous tofu turkey; it tasted just like dressing, so I loved it. Then hubby and I went home and cooked a real turkey, which I also loved.

The only conflict was with my mom, who wanted to do her signature dessert, involving store piecrust, coolwhip, and jello pudding. SIL found whole-food options (whole wheat piecrust, real whipped cream, and I don't remember what). It tasted fine, but mom complained repeatedly that it was better HER way.

Wow. That's just rude.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Wow. That's just rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

I agree was rude. Sounds like Mom is jealous of other things then just HER dessert tasting better.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
I've been vegan now over 25 years. Its really not that hard. My partners have never been vegan ether. I eat what I can or bring my own food to get togethers. I don't expect anything special. Actually to be honest I don't trust just anyone making what they claim is a vegan dish anyways. Many people don't know all that is involved in it. Also always in my bag I have a protein bar and nuts so I will never starve anywhere. I have snacks to tie me over till I get home and can make myself something.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, but nobody likes that stuff. If we did, we’d be vegan too. Can’t you just eat the side dishes? They can easily accommodate you by not adding butter, or other dairy, to vegetables.
That's just not true. I am a devoted omnivore who loves meat and dairy, and I can think of several vegan dishes I would be happy to eat as a main course. It's actually kind of a cool thing to do, as it makes you look at new ways of preparing familiar foods, or perhaps even open your eyes to foods you may never have tried, otherwise.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:24 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, but nobody likes that stuff. If we did, we’d be vegan too. Can’t you just eat the side dishes? They can easily accommodate you by not adding butter, or other dairy, to vegetables.
The point is meat eaters can't complain when they eat vegan food all the time. The important thing is to have a meal that EVERYONE can eat.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
The point is meat eaters can't complain when they eat vegan food all the time. The important thing is to have a meal that EVERYONE can eat.

Where have I heard that before?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Yes, Daughter was with a vegetarian man for over twelve years. Everyone in the family loved him. He was gentle, kind and sensitive.

I know that he had very high standards for his meals at home but at our house he made some compromises and we did the same for him. I always made sure there was enough variety on the table that he could put together a healthy meal and some of the dishes we, ourselves, enjoyed.

The most courteous thing about his lifestyle is that he never once, in all those years, called attention to our eating differences or made any nonverbal indication to anyone that what we were eating was unpleasant to him. We showed him the same courtesy.

Well, except for Grandpa and Grandma! Seems they had to have it explained more than once. But he took it in stride considering their ages. Think he probably had experience with that on his own side of the family.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Is this for real.....

My thoughts as well.

I'm sure your children's significant others should be so lucky that you would grace them with your support of their dietary decisions.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
What's the big deal? Vegan is hard, but roast some veggies and maybe saute some tofu on the side. Takes 20 minutes. Vegetarians are EASY to accommodate. My vegetarian best friend is commanded to make a veggie lasagna every year instead of a turkey for her parents, who are not vegetarians in any sense of the word. They just love her recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting