Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My mom made a lentil soup that you would swear had ham in it. Totally vegan. Can be done. Just can’t top it with Parmesan
I assume the Parm, or even the ham could be added for other people? I am sure there are many dishes like this. Prepare something meant for everyone, leaving part out for the person(s) that can't eat any animal products.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:38 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Did your son or daughter date or marry a vegetarian?

We're you supportive and accommodating?

How has it affected family gatherings?
I just eat sides if I am in my anti meat mode. I change. I have friend who never changes and doesn't mind eating the sides and usually will make a nice veggie side to bring to family events.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:25 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol, my daughter went to China and came back a vegetarian. By the time she returned to China the second time, she was vegan.

Spiders, snakes, baby sharks, scorpions, all fried on sticks and offered as street food.

But they wouldn't "expect another meal". That's where you are wrong. If you don't eat what the host serves, you bring a dish you can eat. I do that all the time, and make it something to share, not just for me.

If you choose not to go because meat is served, that's OK, too--provided damaging a relationship is worth making your point. I am not clear how setting up a conflict helps people see that eating animals is unethical. Just be an example without the preaching.
Exactly, it shows how disgusting meat is. As I've said already, the logic of it is if you invite a vegan to a meal, they should expect a vegan meal to be served to them.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Next time, I hope you are happy to just get a bowl of oranges while others eat dinner.

No, I wouldn't. That is a completely different culture with different expectations. I would eat something they made that didn't include dog.

Instead of them not inviting you because of your alternate diet, perhaps you could just politely decline.

It seems like they could make 1 vegan dish for you, but to expect them to eat only vegan because you are there is not realistic or polite. You are going to THEIR house. They can eat whatever they want. If you don't like it, don't go.

Let me put it this way: If I came to dinner at your house, I would expect to be fed a vegan meal. Your house, your food. I wouldn't expect or insist that your cook meat for me. I would especially not expect you to make my kind of food and eat it in your house.
That's where you wrong, because it doesn't work both ways. A non vegan wouldn't scream when they peel a carrot or mash some potatoes. A vegan would scream when cutting up a dead animal.

You would understand if you saw it from my point of view. A roast dinner is like someone putting their pet in the oven and serving it. As I said, I Only said do one vegan meal to make it simple. It's harder work to make two meals.

Should culture dictate morality?

Old 12-28-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yup. My kitchen, my ingredients.
They are not your ingredients. You do not own a life.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Total non-issue. It is easy to prepare vegetarian food - just leave the meat stuff out! Vegan is tougher. If you don't know how to prepare something, ask her to help or to bring something along that she knows she will want to eat, etc. Honestly we eat waaaaaay more meat than we should as a country - we've brain washed to think we need it to be healthy when really we need far less. I have certain dietary restrictions and I never expect someone to completely change their menu to accommodate me, but I deeply appreciate being included enough to have at least one item on the table that I can eat or being told to bring something to eat if that will not be an option, and I appreciate people being up front about what is in stuff on the table.
Why is veganism not accepted, and yet vegetarianism is? Wind forward to 2050 and veganism will be accepted.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:17 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
That's where you wrong, because it doesn't work both ways. A non vegan wouldn't scream when they peel a carrot or mash some potatoes. A vegan would scream when cutting up a dead animal.

You would understand if you saw it from my point of view. A roast dinner is like someone putting their pet in the oven and serving it. As I said, I Only said do one vegan meal to make it simple. It's harder work to make two meals.

Should culture dictate morality?
The world does not revolve around you. I have issues with food and never in my life have I expected anyone to make a meal just for me, much less that everyone eat what I do. I nibble on what I can. Usually I eat in advance so that nibbling is totally fine. Some people choose to serve everyone what I can eat, depending on the type of event. Sometimes I bring my own, or something I eat to share with everyone as part of the meal (like at a cook out with many choices).

I do not eat any beef, and I am unlike most of the world in that I don't want BBQ on my chicken. Cook outs for me are the easiest and not intrusive. I bring a package of chicken and politely ask if mine can be thrown on plain. Host is free to add BBQ to the rest for other people.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:16 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I am unlike most of the world in that I don't want BBQ on my chicken. Cook outs for me are the easiest and not intrusive. I bring a package of chicken and politely ask if mine can be thrown on plain. Host is free to add BBQ to the rest for other people.
You don't like BBQ on your chicken? BBQ is not something you put on anything. It's a process of cooking where meat is grilled on indirect low heat for an extended period of time. What you mean to say is that you don't like grilled chicken.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
They are not your ingredients. You do not own a life.
Huh?

I have no problem accommodating a vegetarian. Many of the meals we cook are just fine without the addition of meat. Veganism requires different ingredients and methods of preparation. I would not redo my pantry to vegan standards. Fortunately, nobody has ever insinuated that I should, except you.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:24 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Did your son or daughter date or marry a vegetarian?

We're you supportive and accommodating?

How has it affected family gatherings?
Look old chum, it ain't like we've go two heads, or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.