Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:47 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times

Advertisements

We have a vegetarian family member, if I am cooking, I will make a lentil or a veggie curry with rixe, or a veggie frittata, we all enjoy the same dish & they are easy to make. If we are going to another family home, she will be happy with the starch & veggie portion of the dish, no fuss.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Yes, maybe a bit different because I am vegan but I have to put with family members saying its too hard work to do vegan meals as well, despite the fact that they could just do vegan and everyone could eat that. Simple.
Wow. You expect everyone to eat Vegan to accommodate you?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:37 PM

4,615 posts, read 3,005,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Did your son or daughter date or marry a vegetarian?

We're you supportive and accommodating?

How has it affected family gatherings?
It's certainly not on the same level as e.g. someone of a different religion, correct?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Are we bored over the holidays?

As a long time vegetarian, generally the only way family gatherings are affected is when Uncle Lenny notices someone is eating a veg plate and goes into an unsolicited 10 minute monologue about how much he just loooooves to eat meat.

I have a friend who's vegetarian. She's not "in your face" about it, and not preachy about it, and doesn't try to convert others to it. It's just her being her.

One time, we were hanging out, and we went to visit her cousins, who own a jewelry store. I get introduced to one of the cousins, and he starts telling ME that I should work on Nancy, and get her to eat a cheeseburger. So, here's this guy, telling a total stranger to him, telling me to annoy my friend. That's being a jackass.

I don't have a lot of experience being around vegetarians, but the few that I've known love to cook and share...and that's alright by me. LOL

Old 12-27-2017, 03:07 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It's certainly not on the same level as e.g. someone of a different religion, correct?
Whether the dietary restrictions are based on ones personal beliefs about animals, or on ones religion, it shouldn't make a difference.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Wow. You expect everyone to eat Vegan to accommodate you?
If they're going to complain then yes.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
non-vegans don't want to eat vegan or spend hours cooking a meal they don't want to eat.
Non-vegans don't want to sit on a table with dead animals on it, but we still cope. If they think its too hard work then just don't invite me, simple.

People eat vegan food all the time, everytime you eat an orange. I of course never eat food they do, so that excuse in itself is lame.

It's never too much surely to ask someone to cook a meal that contains no animal abuse, especially as people claim to be animal lovers (not).

Old 12-27-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You not only expect a non-vegan to figure out how to prepare a vegan meal, but expect everyone else to eat it too. That's pretty selfish. I had a vegetarian guest at a holiday once. I made an extra pasta dish without meat for her, used water instead of broth in another dish; plus she bought ingredients and made a vegetarian side dish. It was a group effort, and it was fine. It would not have been fine for her to expect everyone to eat only her food, and expect the host to prepare it.
If you're going to invite them, then you should fully accommodate them yourself with no fuss. Otherwise don't invite them.

Look, meat eaters are stupid hypocrites because apparently they love animals and yet they eat them. When you realise how stupid that is, what I say is no longer so stupid.

Apparently an animal lover says its selfish to save animals too.

I'm only saying this to make it easier to cook, its easier doing one vegan meal than one for meat eaters and another for the vegans.

And yes I do expect someone to know how to make a meal without slaughtering an animal or taking its secretions, its pretty simple really. We're in 2017 for god sake.

Would you like to go to someone's house in China and eat a roast dog? Would you expect them to do something different for you?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But it doesn't work that way, and you know it. Just bring your own plant-based food and offer to share it. If you don't cop an attitude, people might be open to trying something not animal based.

I don't eat meat, but I did for most of my life and I'm not about to start telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't eat or to accommodate my choice.
Don't invite me then. If a meat eater went to a Chinese party in China and there was roast dog, they would expect another meal for them. There is no difference.

Why is it acceptable to kill and eat a pig and illegal to eat dog?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:56 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Don't invite me then. If a meat eater went to a Chinese party in China and there was roast dog, they would expect another meal for them. There is no difference.

Why is it acceptable to kill and eat a pig and illegal to eat dog?
Lol, my daughter went to China and came back a vegetarian. By the time she returned to China the second time, she was vegan.

Spiders, snakes, baby sharks, scorpions, all fried on sticks and offered as street food.

But they wouldn't "expect another meal". That's where you are wrong. If you don't eat what the host serves, you bring a dish you can eat. I do that all the time, and make it something to share, not just for me.

If you choose not to go because meat is served, that's OK, too--provided damaging a relationship is worth making your point. I am not clear how setting up a conflict helps people see that eating animals is unethical. Just be an example without the preaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting