Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yes. My daughter is dating a vegetarian.

Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?

It hasn’t affected family gatherings at all. Why would it? Total non-issue.
This is the perfect answer. Same holds true for accommodating a meat eater in a vegetarian household. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to some people.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Dog ... snake ... rabbit head - it's enough to turn one vegetarian!
Or, as my son, DIL, and daughter would say... Dead Pig...Dead Cow...Dead Chicken...Dead Sheep...Dead Fish... Shudder, Shudder... That is why we are vegetarians.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The world does not revolve around you. I have issues with food and never in my life have I expected anyone to make a meal just for me, much less that everyone eat what I do. I nibble on what I can. Usually I eat in advance so that nibbling is totally fine. Some people choose to serve everyone what I can eat, depending on the type of event. Sometimes I bring my own, or something I eat to share with everyone as part of the meal (like at a cook out with many choices).

I do not eat any beef, and I am unlike most of the world in that I don't want BBQ on my chicken. Cook outs for me are the easiest and not intrusive. I bring a package of chicken and politely ask if mine can be thrown on plain. Host is free to add BBQ to the rest for other people.
The world does revolve on animal lovers eating animals and sneering at those that don't. As people are animal lovers the least they can do is not serve animals for dinner or at least that's what you'd expect.

You wouldn't eat nuts in front of someone with nut allergies - it's the same it's just emotional rather than physical. I think physical/mental health should be treated the same.

Also its not your chicken, you do not own her life.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:30 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Huh?

I have no problem accommodating a vegetarian. Many of the meals we cook are just fine without the addition of meat. Veganism requires different ingredients and methods of preparation. I would not redo my pantry to vegan standards. Fortunately, nobody has ever insinuated that I should, except you.
Confused, well you would be. So many animal loving hypocrites eating animals.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:51 PM

231 posts, read 236,613 times
I should think you would be happy,no meat equals no hormones,no antibiotics and cruelty free.

Would eat your dog or cat.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
This is the perfect answer. Same holds true for accommodating a meat eater in a vegetarian household. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to some people.
I also don't understand how someone not eating meat is offensive to someone else. I don't care what other people do or don't eat.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:14 PM

302 posts, read 182,635 times
I am a vegetarian and I have never starved when invited for dinner. We recently had dinner at friends who served prime rib. It was very red and rare and I cannot understand how anyone could eat that. I had green beans, potatoes and salad. Saved plenty of room for dessert. My daughter-in-law is lactose free, gluten free and no red meat. I am not a good cook so we usually go out to eat to a restaurant that will accommodate us all.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Confused, well you would be. So many animal loving hypocrites eating animals.
Huh?

I do love animals. I don't see what that has to do with not completely bending to the dietary wishes of an invited guest.

I can/have/and cheerfully do, adapt to vegetarian guests. I am not as willing to deal with the requirements of a vegan lifestyle. Forewarned and all that.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
That's where you wrong, because it doesn't work both ways. A non vegan wouldn't scream when they peel a carrot or mash some potatoes. A vegan would scream when cutting up a dead animal.

You would understand if you saw it from my point of view. A roast dinner is like someone putting their pet in the oven and serving it. As I said, I Only said do one vegan meal to make it simple. It's harder work to make two meals.

Should culture dictate morality?
If you are going to scream while dinner is being made, then just stay home. For goodness sake.

Quote:
The world does revolve on animal lovers eating animals and sneering at those that don't. As people are animal lovers the least they can do is not serve animals for dinner or at least that's what you'd expect.

You wouldn't eat nuts in front of someone with nut allergies - it's the same it's just emotional rather than physical. I think physical/mental health should be treated the same.

Also its not your chicken, you do not own her life.
Only the ones that act like you.

As I said in an earlier post, I have hosted a vegetarian, and did my best to accommodate her. I most certainly did not take the meat off the menu completely, nor did she expect me to. That is where you are crossing a line. You think you are superior to meat eaters, and that we're hypocrites. You complain about being judged but you are judging more than anyone else here.

As for the nut allergy, just no. Someone with a nut allergy could die if they eat them. And yes, if it was from a safe distance, I don't see why I wouldn't eat nuts in front of them. It's not a valid comparison. At all.

If you can't be in a room with people eating culturally acceptable meat, you are the one with the issue, not them. I repeat, if it bothers you that much, don't go.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I also don't understand how someone not eating meat is offensive to someone else. I don't care what other people do or don't eat.
It's not. It's the attitude that they have better morals and that we are basically eating our pets that is offensive. If I had a family dinner, and 1 vegan was invited, I wouldn't be at all offended when that person ate the side dishes but not the meat, or if they brought their own vegan dish.

I would be offended if the 1 vegan insisted that we ALL eat vegan so as not to offend him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.