Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 06:43 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times

Advertisements

I became a vegetarian. Lived as a vegetarian for years. I have many vegetarian and vegan relatives. It is a non issue. Pick up veggie burgers for picnics and include a hearty vegetable dish at every year and you're good.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My younger son, married a Vegetarian 35 years ago, and he converted to a Vegetarian. He has worked as a head chef for 5 star resorts, and restaurants. He cooks different when at work, and when at home.

At one of the most exclusive resorts in the country, he was head chef. He came out with Vegetarian main dishes for those that wanted them, and surprise, surprise they sold a lot more of these than they even estimated would happen.

One day one of the waiters came into the kitchen and said one of the customers was angry, and said my son was trying to poison him. He went out, and the complaint was it tasted so good, that one bite told him it could not be a a vegetarian food. My son explained he was a vegetarian and had developed that dish for his own family. He broke it down and told him what each part was. The customer just shook his head in amazement. He had a hard time believing anything that tasted that good was truly vegetarian food. The other thing my son remembered, was it was Dick Van Dyke. Yes that one, as I said it was a resort that catered to the upper crust.

When we have a big family dinner when we are having a number of family come home, he cooks the big dinners. He cooks to satisfy me, and other meat eaters, and vegetarian meals for he, his wife, and my wife who has also converted, so my wife and I just buy the food he needs for the meals, get out of the kitchen and let him do the cooking. Kind of nice to have a true 5 star chef, prepare the meals.
Dick Van Dyke says his favorite dish is Southern Fried Chicken.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Yes, maybe a bit different because I am vegan but I have to put with family members saying its too hard work to do vegan meals as well, despite the fact that they could just do vegan and everyone could eat that. Simple.
And here we have the attitude that causes the question in the OP to even be asked (rather than the other attitudes described by other posters here by the vegetarians/vegans in their families. "I choose to have a special restricted diet so everyone else should just eat what I choose to eat, not what they like. Simple."

Do you not see the problem with that?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
No.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You not only expect a non-vegan to figure out how to prepare a vegan meal, but expect everyone else to eat it too. That's pretty selfish. I had a vegetarian guest at a holiday once. I made an extra pasta dish without meat for her, used water instead of broth in another dish; plus she bought ingredients and made a vegetarian side dish. It was a group effort, and it was fine. It would not have been fine for her to expect everyone to eat only her food, and expect the host to prepare it.
This. We had a vegetarian friend, and when we would have a bunch of people over for dinner, I'd make my signature dish as I usually did, with chicken, and make a separate pot of it vegetarian for him. He didn't expect it, but it seemed to me the thing to do. He never once made an issue of his vegetarianism and certainly didn't expect everyone else to share his chosen dietary limitations.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
If you're going to invite them, then you should fully accommodate them yourself with no fuss. Otherwise don't invite them.

Look, meat eaters are stupid hypocrites because apparently they love animals and yet they eat them. When you realise how stupid that is, what I say is no longer so stupid.

Apparently an animal lover says its selfish to save animals too.

I'm only saying this to make it easier to cook, its easier doing one vegan meal than one for meat eaters and another for the vegans.

And yes I do expect someone to know how to make a meal without slaughtering an animal or taking its secretions, its pretty simple really. We're in 2017 for god sake.

Would you like to go to someone's house in China and eat a roast dog? Would you expect them to do something different for you?
We are all part of the Great Circle of life. Each species has their place in that circle. I find it interesting that some humans are the only species that chooses to step out of their place in that circle AND tell themselves that they are doing it out of love for animals, when what they are doing is disrespecting the animals by saying that they themselves are unique and above the Great Circle. Do we owe the animals that provide our food respect for fulfilling their place in it and the best possible life and death? Yes, we do. We also owe them the respect of honoring their place and our own in that Circle.

If I were to choose not to invite you to a gathering involving a meal, it would not be because you are vegan. It would be because based on what you have posted here you would spoil the gathering for my other guests by your attitudes towards them and, indeed, the world in general.

So many that tell themselves they are making their dietary choices "for the animals" forget that animals walk on two legs, too.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:03 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
I would have no problem unless they are an activist and condemn me for serving meat.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:19 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We are all part of the Great Circle of life. Each species has their place in that circle. I find it interesting that some humans are the only species that chooses to step out of their place in that circle AND tell themselves that they are doing it out of love for animals, when what they are doing is disrespecting the animals by saying that they themselves are unique and above the Great Circle. Do we owe the animals that provide our food respect for fulfilling their place in it and the best possible life and death? Yes, we do. We also owe them the respect of honoring their place and our own in that Circle.

If I were to choose not to invite you to a gathering involving a meal, it would not be because you are vegan. It would be because based on what you have posted here you would spoil the gathering for my other guests by your attitudes towards them and, indeed, the world in general.

So many that tell themselves they are making their dietary choices "for the animals" forget that animals walk on two legs, too.
But humans are different from other animals, in countless ways. And the difference that matters in this discussion is: humans have a sense of ethics (probably even politicians, although they suppress theirs), and at least a selective respect for other creatures. What I think Wilkinson417 is saying is: don't be selective in that respect. If it's offensive to kill and eat dogs and horses, it's also offensive to kill and eat chickens and cattle. I agree.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:53 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This. We had a vegetarian friend, and when we would have a bunch of people over for dinner, I'd make my signature dish as I usually did, with chicken, and make a separate pot of it vegetarian for him. He didn't expect it, but it seemed to me the thing to do. He never once made an issue of his vegetarianism and certainly didn't expect everyone else to share his chosen dietary limitations.
1 It is not a dietary limitation
2 As I keep saying, no one is listening Iam only saying do one meal to make it easie, not because I don’t like seeing dead animals
3 You wouldn’t eat nuts in front of a nut allergy sufferer, so no meat in front of vegans. It’s exactly the same it’s just emotional rather than physical

Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Huh?

I do love animals. I don't see what that has to do with not completely bending to the dietary wishes of an invited guest.

I can/have/and cheerfully do, adapt to vegetarian guests. I am not as willing to deal with the requirements of a vegan lifestyle. Forewarned and all that.
You LOVE animals but you EAT them. I love my Mum but I want to eat her. I love my dog but I want to eat him. It’s hypocritical and it doesn’t work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting