Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Who pays for their phones and expensive clothes?
You're comparing vaping to clothing and phones? A little different, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your neighbors are crazy. I have an adult friend come in and feed the cats, also bring in the mail and water the plants. I usually get her a small gift from where we've gone, or a Starbuck's card.
Or just generous. We used to have a neighbor that would do that for one of my kids whenever he needed a little yardwork done. Don't get me wrong, my kid worked, but the pay was more generous than it needed to be. I didn't really understand it, but I know my son was grateful. As an aside, he just made forty bucks for taking care of a neighbor's cat for two days.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So "fake" adults do?

I think you'd be surprised at how many adults love fruit flavored anything otherwise fruit flavored alcohol (Vodka,Bourbon,Whiskey,Liqueurs wouldn't be good sellers as they are...
Point taken. I'll put it this way, I do suspect that the fruit flavored vapes are meant to attract young people. And adding that the last vape shop I saw in my city looked to me like a place that was attempting to attract young people, not that all of those potential customers might be minors, but young for sure. Much like an arcade back in the 70s and 80s. There is a certain "look" that attracts young people.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You're comparing vaping to clothing and phones? A little different, don't you think?
There's money available for them. That was my point. Phones and EXPENSIVE clothes are not necessities.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Point taken. I'll put it this way, I do suspect that the fruit flavored vapes are meant to attract young people. And adding that the last vape shop I saw in my city looked to me like a place that was attempting to attract young people, not that all of those potential customers might be minors, but young for sure. Much like an arcade back in the 70s and 80s. There is a certain "look" that attracts young people.

Dude. Legal age is 18. That IS young.

Lots of people who vape like the various flavors. I have a friend who vapes a berry flavored liquid. It's smells amazing.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hmmm. Maybe you don't see them in fast food places because, like mine, they're taking a full course load and/or completing required internships in their field, so they can finish a five year engineering program in 3-1/2 years. Not all college students spend their summers slinging fries at McDonald's, sitting in a life guard chair, or running a cash register at Target. And, yeah, maybe you did see my kid on a plane headed to LA for a long weekend on the beach. It was a well-deserved gift from us, her parents, because she needed a break to relax and breath for a few days.

I don't know Randomparent. Are you SURE you're not mollycoddling? Sure sounds like mollycoddling.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
There's money available for them. That was my point. Phones and EXPENSIVE clothes are not necessities.
Still not a fair comparison. Parents take their kids shopping for phones, pick one out they can afford, and put them on their plan. Same with clothing, basically. The kid has to wear something. Some families can afford more than others. Vaping is unhealthy and illegal for middle and most high schoolers. Most parents aren't going vape shopping with their kids.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Agreed but the money is there. Money to go to a movie. Allowance. Chore money. I'm quite sure parents finance most purchases.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
RIP Joe Camel.

Looks to me the same issue with cigarettes, marketing, and those just above the age of 18 passing them along to their younger peers. This isn't really anything new and hopefully parents are learning what vaping is so they can speak to their children about it.

Vape store that I go to here locally is setup to look like a juice bar... menu of flavors to sample included. They do check IDs for all sales. After the child is 18 and out of the house, not much we can do about it.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not far off a comparison when it comes to phones and those addicted really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting