Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I didn't say NO TEENS ANYWHERE WORK. I said I don't see them working as much, and compared to years past they don't.
Right. There is often issues with people reading the word "all" into things when that word is not there. It's extremely irritating.

And you're right, not as many teens work these days as used to. For some, there might not be as many job opportunities. For others, they are too mollycoddled by their parents. I don't even see many college students working jobs during the summer, they are often going on trips and vacations to faraway places. These are the same people who don't understand why they have crippling debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Right. There is often issues with people reading the word "all" into things when that word is not there. It's extremely irritating.

And you're right, not as many teens work these days as used to. For some, there might not be as many job opportunities. For others, they are too mollycoddled by their parents. I don't even see many college students working jobs during the summer, they are often going on trips and vacations to faraway places. These are the same people who don't understand why they have crippling debt.
Hmmm. Maybe you don't see them in fast food places because, like mine, they're taking a full course load and/or completing required internships in their field, so they can finish a five year engineering program in 3-1/2 years. Not all college students spend their summers slinging fries at McDonald's, sitting in a life guard chair, or running a cash register at Target. And, yeah, maybe you did see my kid on a plane headed to LA for a long weekend on the beach. It was a well-deserved gift from us, her parents, because she needed a break to relax and breath for a few days.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Well, this shows that "fewer" teens have jobs than in the past. She said "few" teens have jobs. I don't know how to quantify that. About 1/3 of teens work. That's not no one.
I agree with you, but opinions are not easily changed.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You gotta be kidding me. Have you looked at all the vape flavors available?

https://www.vapor4life.com/e-juice/

Next up: Jello shooters, a great way to get alcohol into teenagers.
Yep, have you looked at all the booze and cannabis flavors legally available? Your point?

None of it is marketed to kids.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Ay my high school, they weren't against it. We could smoke in 1975-77 (At one time) in the courtyard, but then they forced it to move to the delivery entrance. The usual stores were very leery of us. So many times I'd just shoplift my smokes. Till I found out I passed for 21 (I was 15 and had porkchop sideburns and stood 5' 9") and could buy alcohol...Then I bought my own from that store and beer also.

I admit I bought for my nephews (They got hooked earlier) but by the time they hit 25, they'd quit....
Us as well, we had a smoking section in CA no less.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:13 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, have you looked at all the booze and cannabis flavors legally available? Your point?

None of it is marketed to kids.
Those are also marketed to young people, if not "kids". When I was in my late teens it was Boone's Farm wines, and then later wine coolers. No real adult would touch that crap.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:35 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Maybe Junior and Little Susie are selling their Adderall and Ritalin to fund their habits.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:53 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
It's a huge problem with teens, especially middle schoolers, vaping here. They are pretty cheap. And easily available on the internet. Every kid I know (including mine) get money from grandparents for birthdays, Christmas, etc. My kids also get an allowance. My 8th grade daughter watches my neighbor's house when they are gone - feed their fish, waters plants, checks mail, etc. She earns money for that. Why can't you wrap your head around that?

Kids have been buying cigarettes, beer, and other things they aren't supposed to have for decades and decades. I did, my parents did. It's nothing new.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's a huge problem with teens, especially middle schoolers, vaping here. They are pretty cheap. And easily available on the internet. Every kid I know (including mine) get money from grandparents for birthdays, Christmas, etc. My kids also get an allowance. My 8th grade daughter watches my neighbor's house when they are gone - feed their fish, waters plants, checks mail, etc. She earns money for that. Why can't you wrap your head around that?

Kids have been buying cigarettes, beer, and other things they aren't supposed to have for decades and decades. I did, my parents did. It's nothing new.
Doesn't fit the narrative of "kids today are lazy and entitled".

Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

I've heard many a story from older people on how when they were young they got caught smoking/drinking and had to eat tobacco until sick or drink until they got sick. These stories come from back in the 40's so it's certainly nothing new.
Just another NEW high tech delivery device for something that's been going on for eons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting