Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times

Advertisements

FYI: I started smoking at age 19 and paid for my own dumb cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Honestly, I can't understand why these questions are causing parents to be so defensive. If your kid isn't vaping or doing other stuff that involves $, why aren't you just curious about the kids that are doing it?

Vaping is a huge problem right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/health/vaping-ecigarettes-addiction-teen.html

It's because you assume all of our kids are delinquents, and all of us are clueless, and because your OPs are based on assumptions that aren't even correct.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Here are some statistics:
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta..._use/index.htm

Interestingly, 50 years ago, 1968, the numbers were slightly lower for middle school kids, but higher for high schoolers.
https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/access/nnbcph.pdf

Old 09-13-2018, 11:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Honestly, I can't understand why these questions are causing parents to be so defensive. If your kid isn't vaping or doing other stuff that involves $, why aren't you just curious about the kids that are doing it?

Vaping is a huge problem right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/health/vaping-ecigarettes-addiction-teen.html
It's because of the way you continue with these posts, not just this one in particular. When parents say their kids don't drink or drug, in the past you've told them they are in denial. The way you post automatically makes some parents defensive. It's very frustrating. And I suspect you like it that way.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I am curious on where you got your information.

A couple of years ago (or more) the CDC put out a study about smoking and vaping, but mostly vaping, and coming down hard on the practice. Part of their argument was how it was so bad for young people.

Here's the thing. It's illegal to sell any kind of smoking devices to anyone under 18.

Any vaping establishment is stupid that doesn't card people entering their establishment. The fines would put them out of business. And from the vaping stores I've seen...it looks like they're on a thin profit margin as it is.

If middle schoolers are vaping, they're getting it from an older sibling, or stealing from their parents. They're not buying them.

The vaping store I go to sometimes has a sign on the door saying only 18+ allowed in its doors.
Any teenager knows how to buy contraband. When I was a teen, over 50 years ago, I would just stop at the park where all the drunks hung out. The deal was, he bought the booze, one bottle for him, one for me. I gave him a ride to the liquor store, and back to the park. That little two-step lubricated a lot of parties down by the river, and I suppose also in the park where I dropped him off.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
I am. I've set up accounts all over the country. Kids register with me and then the bill automatically comes to me each month.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I am curious on where you got your information.

A couple of years ago (or more) the CDC put out a study about smoking and vaping, but mostly vaping, and coming down hard on the practice. Part of their argument was how it was so bad for young people.

Here's the thing. It's illegal to sell any kind of smoking devices to anyone under 18.

Any vaping establishment is stupid that doesn't card people entering their establishment. The fines would put them out of business. And from the vaping stores I've seen...it looks like they're on a thin profit margin as it is.

If middle schoolers are vaping, they're getting it from an older sibling, or stealing from their parents. They're not buying them.

The vaping store I go to sometimes has a sign on the door saying only 18+ allowed in its doors.
Same here and they enforce it. This all goes along the same route as "who's buying the kids beer/alcohol/pot/other drugs"? As they have for generations, kids will get what they want IF they want it bad enough.
They removed cigg vending machines from all public places and made stores place them behind counters in order to "stop" the sales to minors and yet it still happens. The real one that baffles? They legalize pot AND THEN allow it to be made into things like gummy bears,candy of all shapes and flavors as well as baked goods but then bitc# about fruit flavored vape oils and marketing to kids? What's wrong with that picture??? I've never seen vapes "marketed to kids" like they claim, have any of you? If so please show it.

Just another "cause" for those with too much time on their hands...

Old 09-14-2018, 08:49 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same here and they enforce it. This all goes along the same route as "who's buying the kids beer/alcohol/pot/other drugs"? As they have for generations, kids will get what they want IF they want it bad enough.
They removed cigg vending machines from all public places and made stores place them behind counters in order to "stop" the sales to minors and yet it still happens. The real one that baffles? They legalize pot AND THEN allow it to be made into things like gummy bears,candy of all shapes and flavors as well as baked goods but then bitc# about fruit flavored vape oils and marketing to kids? What's wrong with that picture??? I've never seen vapes "marketed to kids" like they claim, have any of you? If so please show it.

Yeah...IMO, it's a fallacy that the CDC, ATF etc propagate, to justify their reason for existing. It's NOT a huge problem. But if the gov. says it is, then we need to raise taxes, expand forces, and restrict rights even further. For our own good.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

You gotta be kidding me. Have you looked at all the vape flavors available?

https://www.vapor4life.com/e-juice/

Next up: Jello shooters, a great way to get alcohol into teenagers.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Here are some statistics:
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta..._use/index.htm

Interestingly, 50 years ago, 1968, the numbers were slightly lower for middle school kids, but higher for high schoolers.
https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/access/nnbcph.pdf
Ay my high school, they weren't against it. We could smoke in 1975-77 (At one time) in the courtyard, but then they forced it to move to the delivery entrance. The usual stores were very leery of us. So many times I'd just shoplift my smokes. Till I found out I passed for 21 (I was 15 and had porkchop sideburns and stood 5' 9") and could buy alcohol...Then I bought my own from that store and beer also.

I admit I bought for my nephews (They got hooked earlier) but by the time they hit 25, they'd quit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting