Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM

717 posts, read 557,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
In YOUR non medical professional opinion. Unless of course you're a medical research scientist or??
What medical professional thinks it's healthy to fill the body with nicotine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
What medical professional thinks it's healthy to fill the body with nicotine?
Apparently, there are some benefits, but not if it is smoked or vaped.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...otine-all-bad/

Quote:
A study in the journal Brain and Cognition in 2000 found that "nicotinic stimulation may have promise for improving both cognitive and motor aspects of Parkinson's disease." Another, in Behavioral Brain Research, suggested "there is considerable potential for therapeutic applications in the near future." Other work has looked at the stimulant's potential for easing symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Quote:
At the moment, researchers are studying genetic differences in how deeply people inhale, as part of a project analyzing people's needs and responses to nicotine.
https://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/S...otine-20140226

Quote:
Diabetes is another area where nicotine offers potential transformative effects. The chemical has been shown to improve the growth and health of blood vessels. Diabetics often struggle with blood flow to their extremities and medical scientists are trialling a nicotine-based gel to combat this.

A 2012 study published in Neurology Today highlighted the cognitive benefits of nicotine which included memory, attention and psychomotor speed. In particular, short-term memory was boosted substantially by the presence of nicotine allowing subjects a greater degree of recall. These findings have led some researchers to call for the offering of a low-dose, slow-release nicotine patch similar to those used to help smokers quit. However, there has yet to be enough long-term clinical data to determine what the lasting effects of this idea might be.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Apparently, there are some benefits, but not if it is smoked or vaped.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...otine-all-bad/

https://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/S...otine-20140226
I've not seen definitive evidence of what your claim. <bold> I know for a FACT it works on ADHD...

Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Yep. My 13-year old daughter babysits for neighbors and earns $10 an hour. As she has no real expenses, that's all "fun money". She has more expendable income than my husband and I!

She also tells me that vaping is widespread at their middle school. Luckily she has strong opinions about the stupidity of it.
Just as Alcohol and drug use are. I see kids vaping,smoking and just want to shake 'em and ask "do you have ANY idea what you're setting yourself up for?" Especially with smoking, I started in 6th grade and didn't stop until it damn near killed me after several heart attacks. All the chemicals attached to smoking are insane, had I known and/or had there been the societal feelings then as there are now life might have turned out somewhat differently for me and millions of others.

A lot of people who vape don't have any nicotine in their juice, it's just plain flavored liquid, they're doing it to look "cool".
You can mostly tell by how big a cloud they blow out. If they're putting out enough steam that they could be confused with a Steam Train going up a mountainside then it's probably 0 Nicotine because ingesting that much Nicotine would make normal Nicotine users very ill and barfing. Kind of like smoking 3-4 ciggs at one time.

Thankfully my son won't touch any of it...

Old 09-20-2018, 06:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Moderator cut: warning

Three pages of deleted post for variety of off topic, rude, baiting and other TOS violations has been deleted.

I strongly suggest we stay on topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting