Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 12:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times

Advertisements

Don't "Spring" going to the barber on him, "Like we are leaving in 10 min" Give him some notice, we are going Tomorrow afternoon at 4p,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Is the real issue that he doesn't want to go to that school?

Old 03-04-2020, 02:06 PM

21 posts, read 12,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is the real issue that he doesn't want to go to that school?
He seems happy here and has good friends. It would be a bit silly to change schools just because of a dress code and haircut.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Three options that come to mind.

Co ordinate with another parent for their sons to get their hair cuts done at the same barber. Take turns dropping them off . Let the boys hang out somewhere afterwards...pizza shop or wherever teens enjoy social camaraderie(sp?).

Learn how to trim his hair. Buy a Wahl barber kit and give it a whirl

If he doesn't like to go to the barbers...schedule one to come to your home. Our area has skilled ones visit homes for the homebound or physically impaired. Can't hurt to at least consider these options.

My eldest son took pride in his appearance so I'm not versed in the challenge your enduring. I do though empathize with the challenge to follow rules ..teens seem programed to rebel . They haven't learned which hill to die on so to speak...

Old 03-04-2020, 03:41 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
So this is a private school, right?

Try saying nothing, and see what happens. I'm surprised you left the hair up to him, and didn't just say, "I'll take you to the barber Saturday morning." But try leaving it alone and letting him get into trouble.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I've worked as a teacher in a private school with uniforms. I can almost guarantee that the teachers and administrators will remind him of tucking his shirt in, the hair, etc. Let it be.

Does he receive any type of discipline at school for the hair or multiple uniform violations? It might sound harsh, but if so, let it happen. Nagging him about his shirt and hair isn't having an effect. Maybe a school consequence would.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Stop nagging about what you can't control - the tucking in and tie straightening. The school will take care of those if it's an issue.

The haircut is a different sort of issue. Is he just going through a typical "you can't tell me what to do" phase, or is it a more deeper issue with his school that he's indicating by passive aggressive means? If it's the former, too bad for him - make the appointment and take him. The latter might indicate a talk is in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've worked as a teacher in a private school with uniforms. I can almost guarantee that the teachers and administrators will remind him of tucking his shirt in, the hair, etc. Let it be.

Does he receive any type of discipline at school for the hair or multiple uniform violations? It might sound harsh, but if so, let it happen. Nagging him about his shirt and hair isn't having an effect. Maybe a school consequence would.
I thought the school consequences would suffice too. That was until shortly before graduation when we got a letter saying son wasn't eligible to graduate until all those demerits(for untucked shirts!) were paid in full. Sometimes the consequences fall right in the parent's laps.

I would refer to the student handbook before assuming anything. And then I would give my child a choice between following the current private school rules, or leaving his friends and going to a public school.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv0065 View Post
He seems happy here and has good friends. It would be a bit silly to change schools just because of a dress code and haircut.
That's not what I was saying or suggesting.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
If he's a good kid consider eating him for, say, a month or semester of good behavior.

A cool trip, 1/8th of a car, a tattoo

Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 PM

855 posts, read 450,499 times
Sounds like the father of this kid is a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting