Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 05:57 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Let's get the timeline here.
1. Father gets call from neighbor that a strange car is blocking neighbor's driveway. Father goes outside to look and sees strange car nearby and daughter's bedroom window open.
2. Father goes inside house and proceeds to 14 yo daughter's bedroom and sees a male intruder in bedroom. Lights off?
3. Father goes after male intruder who may be rapist/burglar (?). Starts pounding on him.
4. Lots of screaming by father/mother/daughter/intruder.
5. Male intruder leaps back out window and starts to run.
6. Father yells to mother: Get my gun. Everyone else continues yelling and screaming. Confusion ensues.
7. Father catches male intruder on lawn and continues to wallop him. Male intruder starts to run away from father.
8. Mother gives gun to father who shoots at retreating male intruder.
9. Sobbing daughter yells at father that he beat up her boyfriend. Father and Mother yell "WHAT".

I don't know how long this timeline was, but it probably only took a very short period of time during which everyone was shouting/yelling/sobbing. I absolve the father from the beating he gave the male intruder, but he shouldn't have shot at the male intruder as he was running away.

Fortunately, there were no BLM riots here.
My question - which bedroom in Atlanta does not have a window screen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 06:40 PM

464 posts, read 202,790 times
I’d like to buy that Dad a drink!

Old 08-09-2020, 08:28 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
She didn't force him to take a shot at the guy when he was already running away. That was dad's choice entirely.

And did Dad lay down the law regarding dating or not? WhenI was her age, 30+years ago, my parents laid it down, no boys AT ALL until I was at least 16 years ago, and if I did something stupid they weren't going to raise a 2nd generation. That was all I needed to hear to keep me in line. My 1st date was 2 months before I graduated high school.
Too bad your kin$ of parents no longer exist for the most part. Today, they are all liberal idiots who try to be the cool ones to let their kids do what they couldn’t do. Morons.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:30 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Read what Clara wrote. Resident minors invited others in while the parents were away. That is not trespassing. Period.

Yes, if the parents return, they can order any/all of those who were invited by the kids off the property. If they do not leave, then it becomes trespassing. But only then.

Think about it. A kid invites his friend over after school. They're playing video games in the basement... and it's trespassing because Dad, who is the legal owner of the property, was at work and didn't invite the friend in?

No.

That is not how the law works.

Not in any state.
There doesn't have to be a law. The adults of the house, the PARENTS, set the rules of the house, including whether guests can come over when both parents are not home. If the kiddies don't like that, tough, they can find a new place when they are 18. When they own the house and are paying the bills they can make whatever rules they want.

That's how it was put to us kids when I was growing up. My parents were in charge and let us know that from the get go. Guests were not allowed when both parents were not home, plus we weren't allowed to go anywhere either when both parents were not home. I actually had my bike taken away for a few months because I pulled that stunt.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The daughter is a resident of the house. It's to trespassing, if a resident invites someone in.
She doesn't own the property or pay the bills, therefore she doesn't get to make any rules.

I was raised old-school, so this ish would NEVER have flown in my parents' house, and my brothers and I were raised up to respect Mom and Dad's authority. We knew better than to pull this kind of nonsense.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:15 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
She doesn't own the property or pay the bills, therefore she doesn't get to make any rules.

I was raised old-school, so this ish would NEVER have flown in my parents' house, and my brothers and I were raised up to respect Mom and Dad's authority. We knew better than to pull this kind of nonsense.
Nice and all, but legally, it is not trespassing, breaking & entering, none of that.

The kid is a lawful occupant of the property, and a lawful occupant can give permission to someone to enter the property. That is Georgia law. Under that same law, it is only trespassing if the parents have already denied permission to enter, therefore a minor cannot grant permission to enter, and it would be trespassing.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Nice and all, but legally, it is not trespassing, breaking & entering, none of that.

The kid is a lawful occupant of the property, and a lawful occupant can give permission to someone to enter the property. That is Georgia law. Under that same law, it is only trespassing if the parents have already denied permission to enter, therefore a minor cannot grant permission to enter, and it would be trespassing.
WHO CARES?? The parents, the LEGAL owners of the property (or whose names are on the lease if they rent), the ones responsible for the safety of anyone who comes on the property, can set their own rules about such matters.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:32 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
WHO CARES?? The parents, the LEGAL owners of the property (or whose names are on the lease if they rent), the ones responsible for the safety of anyone who comes on the property, can set their own rules about such matters.
Right, but someone made the argument, that the perp had already committed a crime, by trespassing. This was related to the discussion, about whether or not the father was justified in beating the perp up, if he'd done nothing wrong, i.e. possibly hadn't even touched the girl (yet). So some people were trying to read a crime into the situation, where there had been none. The dad physically assaulted and tried to kill the perp as he was fleeing, even though the so-called "perp" hadn't perpetrated anything, except one might say--prowling for underage action via the internet, but we don't even know that. The girl might have presented herself as being older.

So....that's why people cared about the trespassing accusation. As wrong as it may seem, the intruder hadn't broken any laws, but got beat up and shot at anyway. That's kind of the crux of what's being discussed here.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:17 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
There doesn't have to be a law. The adults of the house, the PARENTS, set the rules of the house, including whether guests can come over when both parents are not home. If the kiddies don't like that, tough, they can find a new place when they are 18. When they own the house and are paying the bills they can make whatever rules they want.

That's how it was put to us kids when I was growing up. My parents were in charge and let us know that from the get go. Guests were not allowed when both parents were not home, plus we weren't allowed to go anywhere either when both parents were not home. I actually had my bike taken away for a few months because I pulled that stunt.
I wonder if the daughter will try to hook up with an older guy again after this.

I do wonder what the parents did to her when they found out she lied about her age

Old 08-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I tried to find an update online, and all I could find is that GoFundMe took down their fundraiser, and their PayPal fundraiser has $0 generated donations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting