Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 03:53 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...read the studies and find out. This isn't about their purported knowledge of the risks. Yes, most will try it behind parents' backs. What's silly is thinking that you letting them drink at home will be the ONLY place they drink. They'll do a little pre-gaming at home in prep for the party they don't you about later at another location.
Such teens probably drive irresponsibly and do other irresponsible things as well. That's a matter of being responsible that goes beyond the issue of drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 08:00 PM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
If a single-sip of beer at 20 years old was fatal, the human race would be extinct. Did you or anyone you know not consume a single sip of an alcoholic beverage from the day you were born until your 21st birthday!

Last edited by redguitar77111; 02-16-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 08:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
If a single-sip of beer at 20 years old was fatal, the human race would be extinct. Did you or anyone you not consume a single sip of an alcoholic beverage from the day you were born until your 21st birthday!
Good point....

Old 02-16-2021, 09:06 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Wine with dinner? No problem.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:17 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't have an issue with you making those choices for your own kids, but did you let the parents of their friends in on the policy?
Absolutely, and I’m sorry I didn’t state that. Being that we’re in Texas, that makes things complicated, but I’d rather the friends’ parents know than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
How would you be monitoring a bunch of 17 year olds to determine abuse or not, when you're doing something else?
Because I was a teen once. Given a fenced off space where I could do things, I’d have easily picked that over having to dodge adults. While we aren’t entirely agreed as to the minutiae of how it would be executed yet - maybe surrender car keys - it stays in the house, and nobody leaves. That’s not to say something couldn’t happen at all, but I’m also not going to be that boot-on-the-neck parent. If something does happen, come get us - we’ll take care of it. Hopefully it won’t be a 911 call. If it is, well crap. We got a few years to figure those details out.

Bottom line is that I’d rather have it happen here than at some party they aren’t at all prepared for.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:23 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
I was taught at a very young age to consume wine and alcohol responsibly. The rule was that once I had one drink, I couldn't leave the house... so usually I just had some with dinner on a weekdays. Weekends, I wanted to hang out with friends so I wouldn't drink.

Went to college... For me drinking wasn't a big deal. Honestly, I found how others made such a big deal about it rather silly. The lessons of drinking responsibly was already instilled... I watched people drink themselves into trouble thinking how stupid they were.

So yeh.. I would do the same with my own children. My elder son has already experienced a glass of wine with a meal.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I know the national drinking age is 21 but in some states like mine(Texas) parents can give their children alcohol in the privacy of their own home.So would you do that in your house if it was legal in your jurisdiction???I know some people think it will teach their kids to be responsible drinkers but the data and medical studies that i have seen indicates that it increases the likelihood of them becoming alcoholics.Also i know some people let their little kids have sips of beer or wine but no more than that untill they are teenagers or 20.Thanks in advance.
Ohio has that law and you can also drink in a restaurant with parents. I think it is a VERY smart idea for parents to introduce kids to alcohol, not some frat bunch. I CERTAINLY would want to be the one that shows my child what booze is all about. Makes perfect sense, because someday they are going to find out and you won't be there.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
If a single-sip of beer at 20 years old was fatal, the human race would be extinct. Did you or anyone you know not consume a single sip of an alcoholic beverage from the day you were born until your 21st birthday!

That was actually something said during my last years in the military.

We were division supervisors and division chiefs in a meeting with the Headquarters Squadron commander during a meeting to determine the future of a couple of junior troops who had been aprehended for underage drinking.

They were coming back on base on a Friday night in a taxi from a house party. The gate guard smelled alcohol on their breaths and took a second look at the birth dates on their ID cards. The woman was six months under age. The man admitted giving her the drinks.

So the headquarters squadron commander was making the decision to kick them out of the Air Force because, "They're criminals, and I don't want criminals in my Air Force."

Their own colonel made a passionate defense in their behalf, emphasizing that they they had excellent performance records and were just the kind of young troops that belonged in the Air Force. They knew they had done wrong, they had already accepted punishment, and they deserved a second chance.

But the headquarters squadron commander was unmoved. He was going to kick them out of the Air Force.

At that point, their colonel looked around the table at all of us senior NCOs and senior officers and said, disgustedly, "Is there anyone sitting at this table who hadn't had a drink before he was legal?"

That was when I realized I needed to retire.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:28 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

But the headquarters squadron commander was unmoved. He was going to kick them out of the Air Force.

At that point, their colonel looked around the table at all of us senior NCOs and senior officers and said, disgustedly, "Is there anyone sitting at this table who hadn't had a drink before he was legal?"

That was when I realized I needed to retire.
So did they end up getting kicked out? What was the response to this? Curious minds want to know.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
So did they end up getting kicked out? What was the response to this? Curious minds want to know.

Yes, they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting