Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
For me (about the homework) my son has special needs so I have to keep him organized and focused....though I keep praying it will get better..
Yep! It's learning disabilities with the older one and ADD with the middle one and developmental issues with the youngest. Homework is never a matter of "Okay, go do your homework!" around here.

The youngest one (entering 1st grade) still doesn't read well so whatever she brings home, has to be explained to her in detail as far as what it is the teacher wants done.

And I have never had a teacher tell me to just let them put it away if they were frustrated. I wish! I will do that ANYWAY but I have never had a teacher be happy about it or okay with it. They want it DONE, it seems, regardless of how many hours it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
It sounds like all of the mothers in here are stay at home moms? I've been working full time since 1983 so all I can say is that I'm jealous! There is structure 12 months a year. 20-25 more years of this and then hopefully I can retire :-)
Not me. I was a SAHM (well, sorta, and for the earliest years; I worked again when my youngest boy turned 4 but took them with me because I worked at a private pre-k through 4th grade school)....then when I split with my ex (six years ago) I worked from home for 4 years. Part of it as an eBay seller (Power Seller, so I made the same as at a full time job), then I found a data entry job doing medical claims processing. Same pay as any office job but from home. Crappy pay but again, same as a basic office clerk and at least it didn't require a wardrobe or gas costs.

After I got sick of that company, I took one regular full time temp job (long term temp) and did the 8 to 5 thing, after that I worked a well paying job in a law office, school hours only (9 to 3:30) and that was awesome, but the firm closed the local offices and everyone was laid off. So after job searching for months with no luck at all, I returned to school full time myself last Spring, so while I am not "off" in summer like they are, I take primarily internet/online classes in summer so I am still physically here.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
It sounds like all of the mothers in here are stay at home moms? I've been working full time since 1983 so all I can say is that I'm jealous! There is structure 12 months a year. 20-25 more years of this and then hopefully I can retire :-)
I'm actually looking for work, but with the recession I am back to SAHM until I get job.

As far as homework, I say when enough is enough and if the teachers have a problem with it, I let them know he cannot do more than this. Since living here we have not had a problem (different state) but in NY the teachers were pissy and expected him to do it...even if it took HOURS.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Now that my youngest is going into first grade, it would be nice to have a part time job during the school year. But there is a fair amount of competition for even part time jobs these days. Since I haven't worked in 9 years, it may take a while for me to find something...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Thanks for explaining about the homework mama's... I think I get it now. I can't believe some teacher's would expect the kids to finish even if they were upset. What's the point? Some frustration I think is good, but there is a point where as a mom, you know your kid, and you should stop when you feel it's getting to be too much. Our teachers here are really good, too. And I didn't even think about the families with children who have learning disabilities or IEP's and things like that. That is something that we don't have to deal with, thank goodness.

I'm a SAHM. During the Summer, though, we still do what we call "Summer Studies". We purchase a summer curriculum for each of our kids that includes daily math practice, reading, writing, and science. There are also optional activities that they like to do as well. My kids are also involved in camps and summer programs at the pool and rec centers and library. So it's still a busy summer. Every week, and every day, we're up doing something. On weekends we camp or head to the coast. When school starts, my life actually slows down! Instead of taking the kids here and there every day, and me being in charge of their studies... it's the teacher's turn. They also ride their bikes or take the bus to school on their own. They get home on their own, too. So nice!! During the school days I volunteer, so I do have that, but it's not as busy as it is during the summer, so it's nice. After school it's time for snacks, homework, dinner... we don't do competitive sports so we don't have that stuff to deal with. Just swimming and music practice... it's pretty laid-back during the school year. I think that's how it should be so they have lots of time to study and relax.

For the mom looking for a part-time job - try Starbuck's. I worked part-time there for extra Christmas money one year and it was great! They usually have a high turn-over (or at least the store I worked at did) and the hours were very flexible. It's a great part-time gig. You won't make a lot of money, but you'll have fun and come home smelling delicious - like coffee. (If you like that smell. ) It was great around Christmastime, too, because I got lots of discounts on coffee beans and mugs and things - I stocked up and everybody got Starbuck's goodies from us that year!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,831 times
Spelling homework was a nightmare for my oldest in 2nd grade. One of the days each week the assignment was to write each of the 16 words five times. I dreaded that day because unless I sat next to him (and even when I did) he would not do it. He would write one word, then look at the ceiling, stare at the paper, etc...It took 4 hours and he would not be finished. I finally sent in a very frustrated note one day and his teacher called me up after school and told me that the point was not to make it a horrible experience, it was to learn the words,and any way I could do it would be fine if he was doing ok on the weekly tests. She told me most teachers would be happy to see even half of that spelling homework finished.

From that point on, I made up my own spelling worksheets for him and we had a deal that if on Tuesday he could get a 100% on a test given by me, then he would not have to write out the words any more that week and just take another review test at home on Thursday night - the school test was on Friday.

Homework is still a pain, but that year was a nightmare.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 AM

467 posts, read 984,285 times
Actually, no school always = more work. I haven't slept in since our oldest son was 4 yrs old.

When there's no school, I have to keep track of them that much more and watch everything. My kids have Autism and really can't and won;t be left alone. They don't let us sleep and always need to be in our presence all the time. So actually going to school will mean some peace and quiet.

When your around someone 24/7, or work 15 hoour days, you can't appreciate them as much. We need those breaks and in my case, we don't get them. At least the wife gets to go to work, but my kids are my work and it'll be nice to get a break if only for a few hours at a time.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,146,025 times
I love the summer! I want to add my 2 cents to say I am always sad to see it end!

I work full time & take almost all my vacation time in the summer. Other coworkers want Christmas or Thanksgiving week etc. They can have them!

I want to see the kids when they are home full time & relax with them at the beach & daytrips.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 AM

467 posts, read 984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
I love the summer! I want to add my 2 cents to say I am always sad to see it end!

I work full time & take almost all my vacation time in the summer. Other coworkers want Christmas or Thanksgiving week etc. They can have them!

I want to see the kids when they are home full time & relax with them at the beach & daytrips.
I envy you. Kids with special needs (in my case) can get trying. Unless you're a saint with unlimited patience for chaos, the parent does need a break and some alone time after so much of that wackiness and nonstop chatter.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,146,025 times
I so agree!

Even after the weekend~I feel work is where I get my break & alone time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting