Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,299,309 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if it's just me.

School = more work for me. By that I mean having to get up early, no more sleeping in and staying up late, having to plan what they are wearing, sign a million things, monitor their homework, help with homework, and in general just return to structure.

We tend to have pretty laid back summers, and the kids wear "whatever" as long as it's clean, and we don't have an early bedtime, and we just enjoy each others company. We do spontaneous things and as long as I have my laptop I can go anywhere and still do my own school work. I am in school FT when they are so the whole school year is just insane, or it feels that way, with their schoolwork and mine and my partner's and driving all over... in summer I am still in school FT but I tend to take mainly internet courses so I still have work to do but I can do it whenever (as in late night or middle of the afternoon). I try and take easier things during summer too. I also try and get stuff done around here (clean out the shed, work on the yard, have a yard sale, do home improvement things that really must be done) and I know the end of summer signifies an end to whatever project I am working on, whether I'm finished or not!

I'm always just kind of bummed when it's BTS time and keep thinking that the summers seem shorter and shorter each year! I've always felt this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
I can speak for my daughter who always hates to see summer end and return to teaching after she and her daughter have been able to spend so much fun time together.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 AM

264 posts, read 819,875 times
I am especially sad about the summer being over...my babies are going to kindergarten

Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,608 times
I love the summer holidays. Sleeping in, staying up late, no structure, just relaxing, having fun. No plans. No homework.

I too find it difficult, juggling everything, when school is on. There are so many things to do which involve school.

I am glad when September comes though - in a way - too much of a good thing would be bad! And its good to get back stuck in to work! lol

Old 08-02-2009, 02:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,230,160 times
I hate when the summer ends. I hate BTS.

I hate more than anything the 3,000,000,000 pieces of paper that will infest my house.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I hate when the summer ends. I hate BTS.

I hate more than anything the 3,000,000,000 pieces of paper that will infest my house.
Absolutely!! It drives me NUTS. My kids have been in the same, relatively small charter school for years. Why the heck can't they just keep the stuff that is the same from year to year??? They always want me to sign another, and another, and another, and I'm thinking, GOD, don't you people have file cabinets or a scanner or something?

Of course, they are pretty notoriously unorganized. Last year I made them sign a receipt for every absence note I turned in, because they kept claiming I'd never turned them in after an absence!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Love the summer. Love hearing the kids in the neighborhood playing outside late in the evening. No schedules.

As for those who hate everything about traditonal school system and the endless flaws of the teachers & admin, why don't you homeschool? Seems like you go through extreme pain & suffering, so just keep your kids home & do it yourself

Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 PM

17,402 posts, read 16,553,894 times
I'm also sad when the summer ends. I love the relaxed pace, day trips, sleeping in, the pool, the beach, picnics, spontaneity...

Then it's back to school: shopping for back to school clothes and classroom supplies, packing lunches, doing homework, getting up early, teacher conferences, reports, projects, paperwork...but the kids learn a lot (so do I) and they enjoy making new friends at school, so it isn't all bad.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,817,205 times
I kind of like both in a way. Summer is great just because we don't have to deal with teachers, homework, endless forms to fill out, school activites, etc. Not to mention all the money the schools are constantly asking for....

The biggest thing though is just having fun with the kids. We get to see movies and go to the mall, eat out and do things we never have time for during the school year.

But, school is nice because I can clean my house and it stays clean! I get the computer back and I don't have to fight for it, I can read all day and eat lunch when I feel like it. This is the first year I will be alone all day (my youngest is going to all day Kindergarten) and the last time I had a day to myself was 12 years ago! I may just sleep all day for the first month

Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 PM

I agree, there's good and bad about the end of summer. there's good and bad about school, all schools. Well there was one school my kids attended that was ALL good. Too bad I can't afford to send them there anymore!

I don't hate everything about traditional school systems... but I do have some issues, I will admit. I would imagine those who say "so just homeschool!" would be coming from the POV of having someone else around to pay the bills though. I would actually enjoy homeschooling, but my partner and I are both full time college students... even if one of us worked so the other could HS, well, we'd all starve! LOL. Not enough $$ for that.

I suppose I could put my recent HS grad 17 year old son in charge of the schooling..... oh yikes, scratch that. It'd be disaster for sure!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting