Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
I'm going WAY out on a limb here. The sense of entitlement and 'rights' in the bulk of society nowdays has created this.

Example (go ahead and jump): Women who breastfeed anywhere and everywhere without regard to how people feel around them, especially with young children whose parents may not wish to have to explain the sight of a naked breast in public. Or people who just plain find it offensive.
The prob i have with this is i'd rather have them quietly breastfeeding in public than listen to a screaming crying hungry baby... ugh, give that kid the boob already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
The prob i have with this is i'd rather have them quietly breastfeeding in public than listen to a screaming crying hungry baby... ugh, give that kid the boob already.

Agreed, but there are more subtle ways to breastfeed other than pulling it out right in front of everybody just because they can.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. We should just be able to live without you imposing your loud kids upon us.

When we have kids, we'll stay home till they know how to act in public.
You are so funny, so when you have kids you'll never leave your house? Oh if only you knew the real lives of parents, then you wouldn't be saying such stupid things like that.

Just a little note, I don't know if you knew this but you were a kid once....OMG yes it's true, imagine that!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
You are so funny, so when you have kids you'll never leave your house? Oh if only you knew the real lives of parents, then you wouldn't be saying such stupid things like that.

Just a little note, I don't know if you knew this but you were a kid once....OMG yes it's true, imagine that!

I'll repost my comment-from perhaps page 1:

This is a total pet peeve of mine. Not just babies, but screaming kids...and they don't take them out or they take them right into the inside hallway so that the parent can still watch the movie.

One that gets me even more mad is when parents bring their young children to rated R movies- that have vulgar language and nudity and sex scenes. What the h3ll are those parents thinking?

I am sure some of these kind of parents are like "it must be nice to have a sitter, we don't have that option, so what are we supposed to do-not see a movie until the kids are out of the house??" YES! Or go see a kid movie, not bring them to a movie where the people on the screen are going to town and your 10 year old kid gets to watch it. These parents should have thought of all of this before they had their child.

What should really happen is that movie theaters should crack down and if it is a R movie, no one under the age of 17 is allowed, with or without an adult/parent.

Before my youngest was 2 he was really a cranky baby. All the time. We couldn't even go out to eat. We wanted to...but from the one or two times we tried, we knew that he couldn't sit for that whole time, heck not even for 5 minutes, and it was just a miserable time and we didn't want anyone else to have to deal with that, so we didn't go out to eat until he got older.

This is coming from a parent. Have some common courtesy.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I am a mother. When adults pay to see a movie, or eat at a restaurant, they shouldn't have to try to listen over a crying baby or talking child, or lose their enjoyment of sharing a meal in peace with family or friends.

When I pay for something, I expect to get full value. When I cannot hear the movie, or cannot enjoy a meal in a restaurant, I am not getting full value.

It isn't up to the parents of those children to decide what quality of outing I deserve or should tolerate.

I don't find it funny at all.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I'll repost my comment-from perhaps page 1:

This is a total pet peeve of mine. Not just babies, but screaming kids...and they don't take them out or they take them right into the inside hallway so that the parent can still watch the movie.

One that gets me even more mad is when parents bring their young children to rated R movies- that have vulgar language and nudity and sex scenes. What the h3ll are those parents thinking?

I am sure some of these kind of parents are like "it must be nice to have a sitter, we don't have that option, so what are we supposed to do-not see a movie until the kids are out of the house??" YES! Or go see a kid movie, not bring them to a movie where the people on the screen are going to town and your 10 year old kid gets to watch it. These parents should have thought of all of this before they had their child.

What should really happen is that movie theaters should crack down and if it is a R movie, no one under the age of 17 is allowed, with or without an adult/parent.

Before my youngest was 2 he was really a cranky baby. All the time. We couldn't even go out to eat. We wanted to...but from the one or two times we tried, we knew that he couldn't sit for that whole time, heck not even for 5 minutes, and it was just a miserable time and we didn't want anyone else to have to deal with that, so we didn't go out to eat until he got older.

This is coming from a parent. Have some common courtesy.

You need to read my previous post....I'm a parent that doesn't take their children to the movies, so why are you aiming this at me?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM

For those who are responding to my posts, I will make this very clear.....I do not take my children to the movies, I do not impose my chidren's crying on anyone at the movies, nor would I.

I thought the post above was funny due to them saying they would never leave the house with their children, kind of impossible to do when you have chidren and need to go get groceries and stuff.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
For those who are responding to my posts, I will make this very clear.....I do not take my children to the movies, I do not impose my chidren's crying on anyone at the movies, nor would I.

I thought the post above was funny due to them saying they would never leave the house with their children, kind of impossible to do when you have chidren and need to go get groceries and stuff.

I'm sure that's not what he/she meant.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:

I guess our priorities are different. I didn't say I wouldn't leave the house. Just wouldn't take 'em out in public until they know how to behave. For us, that's not hard. Maybe other people's situations are different.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here, I have two small children and have never even thought about taking them to the cinema (too loud). What I was trying to say was that I notice poeple without children seem to feel like their rights are more important than people with children. Everyone should have rights equally.

One problem with that philosophy: NO ONE's rights should infringe on someone else's.

An adult without children wouldn't pay to go to someplace like.., say Chuckie Cheese without expecting he/she would be among a lot of children and a lot of child noise. They pay for the experience. He/she should be able to enjoy that experience.

HOWEVER, an adult without children should expect reasonable silence from an audience while in a movie theater. In a place like that, they pay to see a movie, not babies, not children. They pay for the experience. He/she should be able to enjoy that experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting