Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You say...."how nice for them"....There will always be people with more stuff. A good thing to remember is that there will also always be people with less.

ETA - Christmas is not all about the "stuff" - focus on what Christmas actually is and creating wonderful memories during the season. Do things together, make cookies, play games, watch movies even. Do a Christmas puzzle over the course of several days...You 4 y.o. most likely will not notice any difference and your 10 y.o. is at a great age for learning....
I totally agree. No matter how big your Christmas is, no matter how wonderful your presents are, a neighbor/relative/friend will always get something bigger. Always.

If you focus on creating memories and doing things together you'll have a terrific Christmas no matter how much stuff is under the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:05 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
ETA - Christmas is not all about the "stuff" - focus on what Christmas actually is and creating wonderful memories during the season. Do things together, make cookies, play games, watch movies even. Do a Christmas puzzle over the course of several days...You 4 y.o. most likely will not notice any difference and your 10 y.o. is at a great age for learning....
Always a good idea...If you think your children will have a really hard time dealing with the differences between Christmas pasts and present, plan a new tradition that is so fun, your children will have their own bragging rights when/if their classmate(s) brag about expensive gifts. Sometimes envy comes from wanting the actual things, but many times it comes from just also wanting something 'cool' to share with the group. Having a movie marathon, a sledding outing with a fire cook-out, etc. would do just that.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
Frankly I find the talk about Grandparents not getting what "instructed" to get a tad nauseating. Grandparents are supposed to indulge their Grandkids. If they are financially able to do it let them. It brings joy to them and the kids. Be thankful that they are active participants in your kid's lives and not ambivalent about your family.

If the worst tragedy over the holiday is you have to "stand outside in the cold" figuring out how to put it in a car - trust me life isn't bad.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I would also involve them a lot with the "giving" end of it - making gifts for each other...Even a 4y.o. can make a special bookmark for the reader in your family, clever picture frames or refrigerator magnets, a scrapbook, a book of "coupons" for chores or hugs, or a story they've written and illustrated, cookies they've decorated, ornaments etc....They can then be as excited about the giving as the receiving.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Frankly I find the talk about Grandparents not getting what "instructed" to get a tad nauseating. Grandparents are supposed to indulge their Grandkids. If they are financially able to do it let them. It brings joy to them and the kids. Be thankful that they are active participants in your kid's lives and not ambivalent about your family.

If the worst tragedy over the holiday is you have to "stand outside in the cold" figuring out how to put it in a car - trust me life isn't bad.
Well, if I'm trying to teach my kids that Christmas isn't all about presents and getting stuff, it can undermine that message when the grandparents give huge piles of stuff.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Well, if I'm trying to teach my kids that Christmas isn't all about presents and getting stuff, it can undermine that message when the grandparents give huge piles of stuff.
How does that stop you teaching them about what you believe Christmas should be? Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Parents have the last word on what their kids get- either from grandparents or anybody else. To say the grandparents have a right to spoil the kids is just wrong. It undermines what the parents are trying to do and is wrong on so many levels.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
I think kids would enjoy time more than anything else. If you cant afford a physical present then make time toplay with them. They will value that time much more than any present.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,062 times
We're just saying NO to presents this year. One gift given to each family member, limit $10. that's it. some simple, cheap little thing, and also they will get a gift card to spend at the after-Christmas sales. Our finances are just too strained to do more. They understand, hopefully, they will understand come Christmas morning. They don't believe in Santa, anyways.

We need to have some good times, that doesn't mean $$$$$ spent! If its good weather, perhaps a drive to the park, feed the ducks, etc. Get the gimmies out of Christmas. come January billing cycle we will be thankful!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,059,343 times
My daughter is 10 and we have just been very honest with her that this year she will not be getting as much, because her stuff cost more than her brother's! She's 10 and she wants things like a cell phone (not getting one), a flat screen tv (also not getting one of those), a moped (she is getting this) video games at that range from $30-$50 a piece! Meanwhile, my 3 year old son wants a $2 dinosaur! So, we have just had to explain to her that the older she gets, it's what she gets and not how much there is under the tree, because her stuff is expensive!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting