Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Amazing to me that people who don't have kids are actually offering their opinion! Folks, if/when you do have kids, you'll find out...I remember when my wife & I were just married, before kids came, and we'd watch Super Nanny and laugh and say "wow, that will never happen to us!"; and now, we wouldn't mind a visit from Super Nanny!
Isn't it funny how when you do not have children you know all about parenting?. I remember I used to read those plastic bags that said they are not a toy. I used to think who is the dumb a-- who would think it was a toy. Well I can't tell you how many times I have let my kids play with them during diaper changes. They are so entertaining. Before anyone jumps on me, I never let them play with them unsupervised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Her being my own makes me even more compelled to keep her in line. She didn't ask to be here, she is in this world because of us. We OWE it to her to raise her to be the best human being we possibly can, and that's exactly what we're going to do. I know it will hurt to punish her.... my dad said that sometimes he thought the things my brother and I were doing were downright hilarious, but he had to be consistent and he had to punish us when we did things we weren't supposed to. I imagine that is one of the toughest parts of being a parent, but taking the easy route only hurts the child in the end.
OMG, this is soooo funny.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM

382 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Such a pessimistic view on human nature. Give kids some credit.
I can't understand the pessimistic view part. I'm not saying that it's kids fault if they're brats or out of control. The parents are the ones to blame in that case.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
I can't understand the pessimistic view part. I'm not saying that it's kids fault if they're brats or out of control. The parents are the ones to blame in that case.
You said that if kids don't fear their parents, they will do whatever they want. I firmly believe that kids want to do good, they want to please their parents, they want to be liked, they want to fit in. When they get out of control it's usually because they are tired, hungry, sick, sensitive to something in their environment, frustrated, overwhelmed, going through a developmental leap (and reacting in developmentally appropriate ways), scared, etc. I feel it is a parents job to try to figure out what is going on and then approach the situation from that perspective. To say that the only way to get children to behave is through fear seems to assume that without fear, they would do bad things. That seems like a pretty pessimistic view of children's negative behaviors.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
OMG, this is soooo funny.
Why?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 AM

73 posts, read 153,381 times
Default my .02 cents...

1. buy this book, read it and PERFORM WHAT IT TEACHES:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-Effective-Discipline-Children/dp/1889140163/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264264728&sr=8-1[/URL]

2. make sure that no abuse or bullying is going on at his school. you as his parent have to protect him and the first thing you need to rule out as to why he is rebellious against school, is to make sure the environment there, is healthy for him! you just never know these days....it's probably fine, but you just never know.

3. is there any way you could decrease your work hrs or quit your job? just a thought, I realize these days that is hard to do.....

btw, I have a 5 and 3 yr old along with my teen who truly is rebellious. the 3yr old does have his moments....but the book above has done wonders with minimal drama, no emotion which can ruin bonds and by the time and if...'3' comes, he knows he's in a time out and he does NOT like that!! It's highly effective, if you read the book and you and hubby USE THE ADVICE AND STICK WITH IT! you will see results within a week. good luck and God bless your family.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandasue00 View Post
I don't know if I am over reacting but I feel like my child is heading down a bad path and I don't know how to turn him around.

When at day school (which he's been attending since age 1) he seems to do really well. At least we do not hear about any outbursts or any major issues. We get the same story when he is with Grandma.

At home it is the complete opposite. He is always yelling out demands, "I want something to drink," "I want to watch a movie," etc... He only says please when we remind him to do so. My husband and I try hard not to do any yelling but I have to admit lately we have broken down and yelled when we cannot take his tantrums any more. If he does not get his way he screams at the top of his lungs and begins throwing things and trying to hit us. I have tried time-outs, taking toys away and even just calmly sitting down with him and talking to him about it not being okay to hit or throw things and I try to get out of him what is wrong but he only says, "because."

The mornings are the worse. I am not usually witness to this as I am usually gone by the time my husband and my son get up. My husband tells me that every morning our son throws a massive fit about not wanting to go to school. He screams, throws things, hits, calls names, "stupid daddy". My husband has a hard time getting him dressed and out the door on time. He says our son just screams constantly "I don't want to go to school, I want to stay home."

I am at the end of my rope already. I can't stand to see our son crying and so upset, but at the same time I cannot let him get away with being so disrespectful. What can I do? What should I try? Please I need the advise.
Give him a good a** s whooping. It'll stop REAL fast. It worked for my kids, on me and on my parents. Just so they associate outbursts like that with unpleasantness. It is just not acceptable behavior. I know all kinds of people are going to think I'm evil for suggesting it but sometimes there is no other way. The kids never run the show the adults do and they need to learn it early.

Last edited by runrgirl; 01-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: needed to add more text hit enter key too soon.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
There is no such a thing as school for a 1yo. You mean day care.
In some areas of the county there are schools that accept very young children - as young as 1. These are some of the same areas of the country that have Pre-K programs for 2 and 3 year olds.

Here is one of several examples you could find out there:
The Young School, Maryland’s Leader in Pre-Kindergarten and Early Childhood Education: (http://www.youngschool.com/default.asp - broken link)

Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM

160 posts, read 321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
Give him a good a** s whooping. It'll stop REAL fast. It worked for my kids, on me and on my parents. Just so they associate outbursts like that with unpleasantness. It is just not acceptable behavior. I know all kinds of people are going to think I'm evil for suggesting it but sometimes there is no other way. The kids never run the show the adults do and they need to learn it early.
There is ALWAYS another way! A** Whooping only makes them fear you!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I have a daughter on the way who will be here in late May/early June, and you can bet that you won't ever see me in here complaining that I "don't know what to do with her".

You might not be in here, but times will come when you won't know what to do with her.

You have no idea who your daughter is going to be, personality-wise. It's not as though babies come out as some sort of generic blank slate that you get to mold into exactly who you plan them to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting