Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Is is really necessary to turn this thread into another working vs. SAHM battle? I just don't get why we feel the need to point fingers at each other and judge based on another family making a decision based on their own individual circumstances. I have worked and stayed home for a variety of reasons and situations we were in. I think that most of us do the best we can given the situation we are in. Sometimes life throws curveballs and you end up doing something totally unexpected - you make it work and you may find it isn't as catastrophic as you believed it might be. That is true of working, staying home and any number of other things that life throws at you. In fact, I would venture to guess that flexibility and "rolling with the punches" is one of the greatest lessons you can teach your kids as they get older because things do not always turn out how you were absolutely sure they would. Sure makes life more pleasant for you and those around you.

Agreed, I tried to rep you maciesmom, it won't allow me.

Anyhow, I find myself saying time and time again saying not to judge someone until you are in their shoes. Everyone has a different situation. Some people are better parents by working and the children thrive in daycare. Some people are better staying at home.

Not everyone can make it work staying at home with their child financially, being a single parent, needing two incomes, whatever. Each family should do what is best for them. Not one size fits all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,799,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't think Branson is blaming working moms..... However (and I am a working mom), children NEED their mothers around. In the OPs case, she states she is out and gone before her child is even out of bed. Soooo, I'm guessing she only sees him after he is home from day care. And what happens then? Dinner, a bath, a little playing, and to bed.

Not much quality time (or any time) is there??

Do you wonder why the kid is "demanding" things, calling his father "stupid daddy"??? HE'S LOOKING FOR MUCH NEEDED ATTENTION!!

I know some moms have to work (as I do) but your kids should be your #1 priority. I would never have myself in a situation where I only saw my child for a few hours a day. Never. When my daughter was small, my husband and I would work opposite shifts so that one of us was always with her. When she started school, I worked while she was in school and then maybe 2 or 3 evenings per week (while my husband was home with her).

I think this "daycare" nonsense has just become so common in our society that people just pop out kids and then dump them at a "facility" when they're 6 weeks old so they can continue on with their lives uninterrupted. Harsh? Yes. True? Absolutely. Seems to me that people are selfish when, once you have children, you're supposed to be selfless.
I don't think that's fair to say. This is not ABSOLUTELY true. Some don't "dump" their children in daycare. You are forunate to have your husband to help. But, what about the people both parents work 9-5 work. And, kids aren't acting out, because of daycare. Some act out, because they do. I know I'm childfree, but I'm not gonna bash "working mom" vs "stay at home mom". Or, "shift parents" vs "regular hour parents".

Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I don't think that's fair to say. This is not ABSOLUTELY true. Some don't "dump" their children in daycare. You are forunate to have your husband to help. But, what about the people both parents work 9-5 work. And, kids aren't acting out, because of daycare. Some act out, because they do. I know I'm childfree, but I'm not gonna bash "working mom" vs "stay at home mom". Or, "shift parents" vs "regular hour parents".
Kudos to you. Nothing wrong with being child-free by choice. I appreciate that you at least aren't jumping on the wagon of those who are childfree but yet feel they are experts at parenting and can point fingers at everything those who do have kids apparently are doing "wrong" when you've never actually been in that position.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
Quote:
Is is really necessary to turn this thread into another working vs. SAHM battle? I just don't get why we feel the need to point fingers at each other and judge based on another family making a decision based on their own individual circumstances. I have worked and stayed home for a variety of reasons and situations we were in. I think that most of us do the best we can given the situation we are in. Sometimes life throws curveballs and you end up doing something totally unexpected - you make it work and you may find it isn't as catastrophic as you believed it might be. That is true of working, staying home and any number of other things that life throws at you. In fact, I would venture to guess that flexibility and "rolling with the punches" is one of the greatest lessons you can teach your kids as they get older because things do not always turn out how you were absolutely sure they would. Sure makes life more pleasant for you and those around you.

It's not a working mom v sahm battle. I was NOT a "sahm" by the way. The OP stated herself that the kid is screaming he doesn't want to go to school and wants to stay home. Gee, is that a hint or what? It's very obvious the kid is screaming for much-needed parental attention.

I also never said my way is the only way. Whatever the OP is doing is evidently NOT working for her family and needs to be changed. The OP and her husband should sit down together and decide what is/isn't working and how they can work together to change it.

It would literally rip my heart in pieces if I knew my child was screaming and crying every morning because she didn't want to go to daycare and I made her go anyway so I could go to some job that may or may not be here in 2 years. My kid takes priority over anything and anyone and, yes, I made a ton of changes and sacrificed a lot for her.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
It's not a working mom v sahm battle. I was NOT a "sahm" by the way. The OP stated herself that the kid is screaming he doesn't want to go to school and wants to stay home. Gee, is that a hint or what? It's very obvious the kid is screaming for much-needed parental attention.

I also never said my way is the only way. Whatever the OP is doing is evidently NOT working for her family and needs to be changed. The OP and her husband should sit down together and decide what is/isn't working and how they can work together to change it.

It would literally rip my heart in pieces if I knew my child was screaming and crying every morning because she didn't want to go to daycare and I made her go anyway so I could go to some job that may or may not be here in 2 years. My kid takes priority over anything and anyone and, yes, I made a ton of changes and sacrificed a lot for her.
It could just be the kid not liking change. My son would scream every day when I dropped him off at pre-school. It tore my heart to pieces, but when I picked him up he was all smiles and laughing. He had a great time at school, it was just the transition time was tough.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Of course there are children who enjoy being in day care and there are many who do not. When I see the kids at the day care place near my job crying "no mommy (or daddy), I want to stay with you" or "I'm tired, I don't want to go" or things like that, it breaks my heart. The OPs son is very obviously acting out because of the daycare situation.

My post wasn't meant to be a working parent vs stay at home parent since I AM a working parent and have always been a working parent. My post simply points out that you have choices and if your child is in such a state about going to day care, maybe you should rethink your choices and make necessary changes.

Last edited by omigawd; 01-17-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Kids will scream and yell that they don't want to go to the doctor, the dentist, to church, to bed etc etc....Then what? I agree there could be a problem with the working issue or the daycare issue. I am just not willing to pronounce that as a fact. And yes, you were very judgemental about parents whose working choices were different than yours. Your words were "daycare nonsense" and "dumping" their children etc etc. That was not a fair generalization.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM

382 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
Kudos to you. Nothing wrong with being child-free by choice. I appreciate that you at least aren't jumping on the wagon of those who are childfree but yet feel they are experts at parenting and can point fingers at everything those who do have kids apparently are doing "wrong" when you've never actually been in that position.
There are certian aspects that you don't need to be a parent to know. It's common sense. And this kid needs a big spanking.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
There are certian aspects that you don't need to be a parent to know. It's common sense. And this kid needs a big spanking.
I'll have to disagree with you. Until you've been there, you don't really know what you'd do. The child may have very valid reasons for being upset. He needs to learn how to communicate his feelings appropriately. That comes with teaching and with age. Smacking a child is not the answer to everything.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM

382 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you. Until you've been there, you don't really know what you'd do. The child may have very valid reasons for being upset. He needs to learn how to communicate his feelings appropriately. That comes with teaching and with age. Smacking a child is not the answer to everything.
When I was a kid smacking was the answer to everyone and most people I know turned out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting