Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 22,167 times

Advertisements

My child is listening to heavy metal satanic music, is this a physiological problem?

She is a junior in high school, never had a boyfriend before, doesn't have any friends that she really talks too, and gets bad grades.

I am concerned about her doing witchcraft or committing suicide. What should I do? I have taken her to a phycriatist but all she said was that your daughter is depressed.

She grew up in a Christian household and anything like heavy metal would not be allowed.

What should be my next step?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM

67 posts, read 107,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna-isms View Post
Accept your daughter for who she is.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,866 times
How do you know it's "satanic"?
Do you know anything about satanism?
If she is clinically depressed they why are you worrying about the music she's listening to?
Why not just help your daughter?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,959,589 times
Heavy metal music does not equal Satanic. Don't assume her issues are because of the music she listens to.

Not having a boyfriend means nothing. My son is a sophomore in high school and has never had a girlfriend. So what?

He also doesn't have a ton of friends he does things with outside of school. She may have plenty of friends at school, just doesn't like them enough to want to see them outside of school.

The bigger issue is her grades. That you should get to the bottom of, but don't attribute the bad grades to the music she listens to. What have you done to address the depression issue?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna-isms View Post
My child is listening to heavy metal satanic music, is this a physiological problem?
First you would need to know the difference between physiology and psychology.

No, it is not a physiological problem. Psychological, either.

Quote:
She is a junior in high school, never had a boyfriend before, doesn't have any friends that she really talks too, and gets bad grades.

I am concerned about her doing witchcraft or committing suicide. What should I do? I have taken her to a phycriatist but all she said was that your daughter is depressed.
Hmm. I think I doubt this story.

Quote:
She grew up in a Christian household and anything like heavy metal would not be allowed.

Your next step might be to realize that many people who listen to metal are highly intelligent.

It's music. It's expression. Unless you plan on controlling her every emotion and action for the rest of her life (or wish to have her REALLY rebel), I'd let her alone.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 22,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Heavy metal music does not equal Satanic. Don't assume her issues are because of the music she listens to.

Not having a boyfriend means nothing. My son is a sophomore in high school and has never had a girlfriend. So what?

He also doesn't have a ton of friends he does things with outside of school. She may have plenty of friends at school, just doesn't like them enough to want to see them outside of school.

The bigger issue is her grades. That you should get to the bottom of, but don't attribute the bad grades to the music she listens to. What have you done to address the depression issue?
I went though her room and found a heavy metal bands album. They are definitely satanic. I read the lyrics and was appalled. How could anyone actually enjoy this music unless they are a satanist or have serious emotional problems?

When I was her age I had already had 10 boyfriends, it just isn't normal for a teen not to be at least mingling with members of the opposite sex or calling them on the phone. She has told me herself that she doesn't have any friends. She has been put on depression medication and of course they are not working. I have tried to talk to her about it, but for most of the day she just stays locked up in her room, listening to music or on the computer, watching t.v. etc., We don't really even have a mother-daughter relationship anymore. Every time that I come home from work she is in her room. Every time I suggest that we go out somewhere like to the mall, she says she doesn't feel like it or just completely ignores me. I feel like that room is her prison. Out of our discussions with her depression all she would tell me is that she is fine, and that she likes heavy metal music, just because she likes it. I just want her to be happy.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,949,229 times
umm.. give the kid up for adoption... yes I said that .. saying what you just said about the music tells me that your a narrow closed minded fearful parent who shouldnt have children

that said .. please let me remind you that the music isnt evil or dangours to her .. she is a TEENAGER! they like that bassy thump and raggedy voices YOUR reading into metal music your beliefs and fears .. stop it and let the kid alone.. she will be just fine .. When you make a fuss about music YOU fear then of course she is gonna want to listen to it cause she just realized she got your chain to yank for the next 5 or 6 years ..
unless your beliefs forbid all music and danceing go look up the Christian rockers and buy her some of that kinda metal .. trust me its out there and its not to bad .. diffrent message but same "grungy hard sound"

this group is pretty good .. and its Christian ..

Stryper - In God We Trust - Lyrics-Christian Rock-Heavy Metal - Photoslideshow

YouTube - Stryper - In God We Trust - Lyrics-Christian Rock-Heavy Metal - Photoslideshow

dont make the mistake of shutting off the chance to have a good dialoge with her

Old 03-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Just because you were a certain way when you were her age does not mean she is either like that or there is something wrong with her.

My son is a quieter type. Is not a phone person. Can't wait to get out of high school to start studying what it is that he really wants to do. He has no interest in what he calls "the stupid things kids at school are doing" - for example, all the parties where alcohol is running rampant.

I hated high school - couldn't wait for it to get out. The whole social scene attributed to school is not for every kid. Difference for me was I was an all A student. Same with my son.

Like I said, you biggest issue is her grades. Talk to her teachers - is she not turning in work? Is she struggling and needs extra help?

If her depression medication is not working, then maybe you either need to change it or get her off it. And how are you talking to her? If you are confrontational about the music, then yes, she will shut down.

I'm really curious about the music - what are the bands? When you say the lyrics are satanic, exactly what do you mean by that? Are they specifically referring to some sort of satanic rituals or do you just call it satanic because it's not christian type music?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,985,154 times
If the lyrics are foul, then I would take the cds and throw them away. Those kinds of lyrics just fuel the fire. She is in your house and she still has to respect your rules and it is in her best interest that you get rid of those cds.I would just keep reaching out to her like you`ve been.Teenagers can be exhausting to deal with.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM

By the way - I might add - I'm a huge heavy metal fan. That's pretty much what we listen to in the house.

We are all normal, respectful people. My husband and I (married 23 years) both have jobs, our son is a good student, works at the local ski hill on weekends with the children's ski school.

The music does not the person make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting