Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM

18,135 posts, read 11,779,310 times

Advertisements

A cell phone?? Nuts!

I think all teenagers should have their own landline number in the house. Its only a few dollars more and much peaceful in the house.

Unless the child is very active - after school activities then yes a cell is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,726,529 times
The cell phone isn't necessary but it has been marketed that way. Some parents buy into it while others don't. "What if there is an emergency?" I hear them asking...what indeed!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,521,052 times
I tutor a 12-year-old who has an iPhone. I think it's ridiculous. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 14 and even then it was so simple (no camera or anything). I finally got the iPhone in December at age 19, and I'm really grateful for it.

I think a cell phone in middle school is helpful, because it's when kids are starting to become more independent. But something elaborate like an iPhone doesn't leave them anything to look forward to when they can really appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,846,388 times
I remember starting Highschool (in 2001) and some girls had cell phones. I asked my mom and you know what she got me A PHONE CARD to use at the pay phone. She told me I could have a cell when I began driving.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,037,554 times
Good Luck Finding a pay phone now.....

Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,846,113 times
I was 25 when I had my first cell phone.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,726,529 times
Default Suburban Dilemmas - Cell Phone Horror Stories

I was born in the era of rotary phones. I remember the first generation cell phones. Obviously, there has been a huge market developed and some incredible technology incorporated into that marketing.

But really...it's still about perspective. I think we tend to get distracted and forget about things like practicality, productivity and safety when the focus on selling the product becomes its "coolness, hipness and sexiness." Then a normally rational person might find themselves picking a phone because it has 350,000 apps versus the "limited" 75,000 of another phone even though they will likely use only a handful of those apps.

The advertisers know how to tap into our all the sections of our brains and we now have ageneration of kids who feel lost if they don't have a phone or forgot theirs at home. Such is the fate of a consumer society.

My 7 year old has been asking for a phone but has not given me a compelling reason to get her one yet. And yes, she came right out of the gate asking "But what if there's an emergency?" I said, "Have the teacher call." My wife, an educator, chuckled from the other room. Maybe that's a story for another day.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,745,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
A cell phone?? Nuts!

I think all teenagers should have their own landline number in the house. Its only a few dollars more and much peaceful in the house.

Unless the child is very active - after school activities then yes a cell is necessary.
their own land line in the house? lol, that's so old school! I had my own number in the house when I was a teen but we don't even have a land line anymore having 3 different cell numbers, who needs a land line....and kids don't even actually talk, it's all about texting, so they really wouldn't be into the land line thing lol

just wanting to add that I don't mean that sarcastically at all...I'm just lol'ing at the difference in times from when I was a teen to now!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 AM

852 posts, read 1,367,017 times
I have mixed feelings about kids with cell phones. My 10 year old wants one. She's an incredibly responsible girl, and she'd help pay for it (she's already offered that). She's very involved in community theater, and we have to drop her off at rehearsals, so sometimes I think she should have her own phone. But so far, the few times she's needed one (very few times) the adults in charge have happily let her use theirs.

On the other hand, my niece has a cell phone, and while she's at my house spending time with her cousins, she is constantly texting her friends. She has one friend in particular, the leader of the pack, who is always checking in via text to see what my niece is doing. That's what I do not like about cell phones. I don't like that these kids are never really in the moment because they're always connected to their friends who aren't there.

My other concern is about kids developing a sense of independence and responsibility. Life doesn't just come with these things.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,357,627 times
I didn't have my first cell til I was 29 years old. (I'm in my 30s now)

However, my kids will probably have cells starting when they can go places by themselves - so probably around 9 years old or so.

The whole "I didn't have X when I was a kid" argument doesn't fly with me. Hundreds of generations of kids grew up without cars, land lines, computers, indoor plumbing etc. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting