Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times

Advertisements

To tell you the truth, once I know the screen name of a PA hater, I won't even open the thread. Why subject myself to the aggravation that comes along with reading his/her vitriol.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
Quote:
I LOVE PA too! I love the history here, I love the hills and the mountains
It's a fisherman's paradise plus a lot of places to boat, camp, and hunt. We have more miles of waterways than any state in the country.

As Manny Gordon says....."Enjoy! Enjoy! The great outdoors of northeastern and central Pennsylvania!"

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
I LOVE PA!, I am one of those "PA haters" you posted about. However, before I get into the "meat and potatoes" of what I have to say here, let me point something out here. I have been to plenty of other states in this country of ours, and my experiences have mostly been great. For the most part, the people have been great, save for a few jerks here and there. But that's anywhere you go.

From my experiences living here, I have a very poor opinion of PA and the majority of its people currently living here. I'm not going to go into much detail here, but if you want the full story, go check what I wrote on the "Is PA depressing?" thread. I'm just going to give a brief summary of my position here.

Firstly, PA has shown a staunch and even irrational resistance to change. Pittsburgh's dismal economic situation as a result of the collapse of the steel industry approximately 25 years ago is a prime example of that. Pittsburgh waited way too long to resurrect the steel industry when they should've just realized what happened, cut their losses, and moved on right when it happened. They could've dug themselves out of the hole in about a decade, give or take.

Plus, the people that live here for the most part seem to have a chip on their shoulder as a result of economic depression and reinforcing many of society's negative stereotypes i.e. country people who act like hillbillies, industrial laborers who like to get wasted and start barfights, senior citizens who totally hate and refuse to get with modern times and constantly pine for the 1950's, among other things.

So, I just wanted to add my .02 and point out that although I don't care for PA much, I'm not your typical "PA hater".
Would rather have a country hillbilly friend then a city know it all like you
I was born and raised in PA and how dare you call me a country hillbilly...and we do not all like to get wasted and start barfights, where the heck do you hang out?????

Senior citizens on the whole all hate change...they're old and incapable of going any further mentally....and when you'r that age, believe it or not, you to will pine for the 2000's.

Our priorities change as we get older, and what we once rolled our eyes at when we were young we are now saying seriously..

so, you young whipper snapper, bend over while I give you a few wacks for being not only insulting but degrading.

Philadelphia is a hoot and loaded with history and fine restaurants. Culturally it is slowly catching up to NYC where the arts are concerned. The Reading Market, Market St. East... GoPhilly.com: Philadelphia, America's "Next Great City".

Doylestown PA is quaint, modest and yet, just a friendly place to hang out....housing the Mercer Museium and Fonthill, the castle. Not to mention, hoards of summer festivals.

Doylestown Alive! Community portal for Doylestown Pennsylvania (PA) featuring Doylestown Borough and Doylestown Township - Doylestown Restaurants, Doylestown Dining, Doylestown Events and more in Bucks County, Doylestown PA!

New Hope PA is great, maticulously kept and a great tourist attraction...
New Hope, PA

Tinicum Township is marvelous, extravigant and by the Delaware River.

City of Tinicum Township, Pennsylvania : Information Resources for Tinicum Township Residents and Visitors. (http://www.tinicumpa.com/ - broken link)

Bucks County is a fantastic place just to ride around....extravagant farms and culture... The Official site of Bucks County Pennsylvania

Lehigh Valley area is booming with all kinds of things to do...i.e. the May Fair in Spring...Allentown Fair...The Market...Moravian Stores
Lehigh Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau - The Official Travel Resource for Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton, PA

Bethlehem...wow!!!! Culture of all kinds...Irish Stores,
Bethlehem, PA Online Annual Events

Musicfest...7 days of cultural dancing, ethnic foods, music, celebrations...fireworks, music music music where ever you go

Poconos....
Poconos Specials - All-Inclusive Romantic Weekend Getaways in the Pocono Mountains

Lancaster, PA is dreamy

The Pennsylvania Dutch Country / Lancaster County, PA Welcome Center

So, that is just a start, it would take all day to describe Pennsylvania Charm
Take a ride down the Delaware River on tubes.....take a stroll or go camping in upstate PA which is referred to as God's country....

I feel sorry for you that you've missed out on really exploring the states you've lived in....what an experience you've missed.

You are as you believe yanno

Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Isn't berating someone for their opinion that Pennsylvanians are rude just solidifying that opinion, giving him or her more fuel for the fire?

You may not agree with a person's opinion, but he or she is entitled to express it.

[/devil's advocate post]

Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Isn't berating someone for their opinion that Pennsylvanians are rude just solidifying that opinion, giving him or her more fuel for the fire?

You may not agree with a person's opinion, but he or she is entitled to express it.

[/devil's advocate post]

Plus, the people that live here for the most part seem to have a chip on their shoulder as a result of economic depression and reinforcing many of society's negative stereotypes i.e. country people who act like hillbillies, industrial laborers who like to get wasted and start barfights, senior citizens who totally hate and refuse to get with modern times and constantly pine for the 1950's, among other things.

That is in my book berating an entire culture because this person obviously didn't meet any positive people....I don't like to get wasted in bars...and start fights...and senior citizens all over the world are the same basically...old and tired and hate change, wait until you become one. The beat goes on.....

There are insulting people all over this country on cell phones talking about their lives, that nobody else wants to hear but are forced to.

PA rocks, and yes, it's got it's troubles, just like any other state in the U.S. there is always a trade off, one good thing for another maybe negative thing, but the world is never perfect where ever you live....PA is a diversed state with hords of intellectuals, artists, professionals...and if that were not true...people wouldn't be flocking here by the thousands.

Yes, you are certainly entitled to an opinion, but it doesn't mean its nice to belittle an entire society for the mistakes of a few people....people all over the world are rude and self imposed, but if you really look hard...you might find some super people in the state of PA, as in any other state, there is good and bad in everything

I repeat...you are as you believe and being rude & insulting isn't acceptable...

now, I could certainly say the younger generation is certainly laxed in manners and respect. They would run you over before they give you right of way...and they have no clue, which is the right door to go in and the right door to go out of a store, and they'll run you over getting there...they talk and scream loud in restaurants....and think it's ok, they condiscend older people, treating them like they are no good and know nothing....and they play their music as if every other person in this state and the next loves their sounds....they will walk right across your property to take a short cut, regardless if it is privet property or not...they will pick your flowers....they own pets that they allow to run around the neighborhood...and they will park right smack dab in front of an old woman's house, when she has to walk outside on her porch, and walk around that car to board the senior citizen's bus to go to a doctor's appointment. There are no young folks that knock on an older person's door and say, mam, excuse me, but can I shovel the snow off your sidewalk for you?????? So you see, I could say the same thing about younger people but...

I have met the most inovative young people...very respectable, admirable, polite and refined, intellectual and considerate of the feelings of others let alone the privacy of anothers space.

You are as you believe yourself to be, indeed, and if you believe an entire culture of society in a state is awful, then I'm afraid you have stagnated your own self...period and yes, indeedy, it is very rude to bring down my fellow citizens, cuz we are connected, we are hard working intellectual families, friends and acquaintances, who worked so hard you wouldn't know the first thing about...and when you insult them, you insult me...so yeah...your intitled to your opinion, but in the same, if you put it out there for others to read, you'd better be ready for the consequences...or not.

And yes indeedy, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you put something insulting out there, you'd better be ready for the consequences of it....and when you insult people in PA like that, your insulting my culture, my family and friends, who have worked hard labor, something which you will never know about or be able to accomplish. They may not all have college degrees, but I'd listen to them first before anyone else, cuz experience is sometimes the best teacher in life...

We are not all hillbillies....(now, excuse me, while I go wash the pig **** off of my feet and smoke a cigar)

sorry....just my point of view....

Have a great day.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-11-2007 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
She's just mad because PA won the big 33 football game again.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM

I don't think its anger, I just think they're just a tad confused as to what manners and a little respect are, yanno?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I agree with Ohiogirl81. You are not proving the point that you (plural) are polite if slam someone for saying otherwise.

We are all entitled to our opinions on this forum. There are some who feel more entitled than others.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I agree with Ohiogirl81. You are not proving the point that you (plural) are polite if slam someone for saying otherwise.

We are all entitled to our opinions on this forum. There are some who feel more entitled than others.

Yes we are, entitled to our opinions...

OPINION
1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. 2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal. 3.the formal expression of a professional judgment4.Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case. 5.a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion. 6.a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Discredit

1.to injure the credit or reputation of;2.to show to be undeserving of trust or belief; destroy confidence in3.to give no credence to; disbelieve:–noun 4.loss or lack of belief or confidence; disbelief; distrust: His theories met with general discredit. 5.loss or lack of repute or esteem; disrepute. 6.something that damages a good reputation: This behavior will be a discredit to your good name.

In other words, I was simply trying to make a point, to prove that to discredit an entire state, society, culture for the mistakes of some is simply not reasonable or in good opinion...there is good and bad in everything...but all people in PA are certainly not uneducated hillbillies. That is discrediting and also, condiscending and people will take offense...yanno

But I believe we are also mature enough to allow others their opinions
lest we forget, what we put out there for others to read, is always prey to people coming to their own conclusions, regardless of how we meant it....some people just hate to be told, "that wasn't nice and its wrong to condem an entire people for the mistakes of a few. Words can hurt and kill, just as bad as if you put a gun to someone's head and pull the trigger, so it's wise to kinda be gentle and somewhat realistic? I dunno, just my thoughts...

Old 07-11-2007, 04:10 PM

78 posts, read 307,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
I LOVE PA!, I am one of those "PA haters" you posted about. However, before I get into the "meat and potatoes" of what I have to say here, let me point something out here. I have been to plenty of other states in this country of ours, and my experiences have mostly been great. For the most part, the people have been great, save for a few jerks here and there. But that's anywhere you go.

From my experiences living here, I have a very poor opinion of PA and the majority of its people currently living here. I'm not going to go into much detail here, but if you want the full story, go check what I wrote on the "Is PA depressing?" thread. I'm just going to give a brief summary of my position here.

Firstly, PA has shown a staunch and even irrational resistance to change. Pittsburgh's dismal economic situation as a result of the collapse of the steel industry approximately 25 years ago is a prime example of that. Pittsburgh waited way too long to resurrect the steel industry when they should've just realized what happened, cut their losses, and moved on right when it happened. They could've dug themselves out of the hole in about a decade, give or take.

So, I just wanted to add my .02 and point out that although I don't care for PA much, I'm not your typical "PA hater".
Hmmmmm, sounds to me like you just decribed all the other 49 states too.
From your attitude I can see why most people would be rude to you. I've lived here all 53 of my years and have drove tractor trailer for 32 years and have seen and been in more places of this great country then you'll ever dream of seeing. For the most part, people I've meet anywhere in the country all seemed very nice and friendy toward me and it's no different here in Pa. If you haven't noticed by now, most people will treat you the same way you treat them. So if you keep coming here and bad mouthing Pa. you can expect to be treated rude. If thats not good enough for ya there's 49 other state forums you can post on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania