Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,465,528 times

Advertisements

OK so how else to describe this. Two families both have 2 kids and are living in similar homes.

The no income family:

Gets free or reduced housing, free food, does not pay taxes, gets additonal money that they did not earn from the IRS, gets free healthcare, and other benefits that I don't even know exist. If they have kids those kids eat breakfast and lunch free at school.

The $60,000 income family:

Has to pay rent or a mortgage, pay for food, pays some taxes, may or may not get money back from the IRS that they did not earn, has to pay for healthcare, and has little in the way of benefits that I don't even know exist. If they have just 2 kids those kids will be taking a lunch or the parents will need to buy the lunch for them.

Who has the better life?

The truth is that $60,000 is survival money where I live. You don't live anywhere near a middle class lifestyle with $60,000 for a family of 4. At $60,000 you will spend what you make and save little. I don't see this as a suggested way for a successfull life other than you are paying your own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,874,714 times
Food stamps? Pooled income?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,902,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
BS, the number of people who receive nothing from the government is very, very, very, very, very, very small.

The fact of the matter is, you have middle class Americans living off the government from womb to tomb play acting that they don't get anything from the government.

Like I said, I can't entertain or explain away someone's fantasy beliefs about the world.

But the telltale sign that it bs is that no one and I do mean no one if given a chance is going to attempt to live on 14,500 if they are making 60,000. You can take that to the bank. There is no equivalence in their lifestyles and no one in the real world believes that.

Only sick in the head people on the internet who want to demonize poor people and who want to play the self righteous victim role would even entertain such crap.
I'm truly sorry some are poor...

Nothing sinister about my comments... they are based on a lifetime of experience living in a city that is a microcosm of the United States.

Point of clarification... I said some people receive none of the above... I did not say people receive nothing from the Government.

Every U.S Citizen benefits by simply being a Citizen.

By the same token... some receive very little and some receive a lot.

My Step Grandfather immigrated to America in the 1920's... America allowed him to open a business and eventually hire people to work for him... he was on the shop floor everyday until shortly before he died approaching 90 years old...

He had a lifetime of paying into Social Security and never drew one penny... he said just being in America was more than he could have ever dreamed of... He refused to take Social Security and he did not have any pension... he simply worked and his employees were all Union.

I'm sure he is not unique

I can understand why a person would be frustrated if they can't make it in America of all places. Let's face it... being dependant means a person has never realized what it means to be independent and this is sad.

People still come here with little and do make something of themselves... the highest income group also happens to be a minority group... Asians.

I'm not Asian... that said, I do have tremendous respect for the culture that values education and success so highly...

I know a Cambodian family... Mother, Father and 3 children... they were lucky to escape with their lives as refugees... Family started a yard care service... Mother, Father and kids.

Today, this man that still drives his old landscape truck and sweeps gutters has a lawyer, engineer and a doctor children... Just listening to his pride over his kids is inspiring.

Do we live in a great country or what???

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-30-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM

344 posts, read 428,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm truly sorry your poor...

Nothing sinister about my comments... they are based on a lifetime of experience living in a city that is a microcosm of the United States.

Point of clarification... I said some people receive none of the above... I did not say people receive nothing from the Goverment.

Every U.S Citizen benefits by simply being a U.S. Citizen.

By the same token... some receive very little and some receive a lot.

My Step Grandfather immigrated to America in the 1920's... America allowed him to open a business and eventually hire people to work for him... he was on the shop floor everyday until shortly before he died approaching 90 years old...

He had a lifetime of paying into Social Security and never drew one penny... he said just being in America was more than he could have ever dreamed of... He refused to take Social Security and he did not have any pension... he simply worked and his employees were all Union.

I'm sure he is not unique

I can understand why a person would be frustrated if they can't make it in America of all places. Let's face it... being dependant means you have never realized what it means to be independent and this is sad.

People still come here with little and do make something of themselves... the highest income group also happens to be a minority group... Asians.

I'm not Asian... that said, I do have tremendous respect for the culture that values education and success so highly...

I know a Cambodian family... Mother, Father and 3 children... they were lucky to escape with their lives as refugees... Family started a yard care service... Mother, Father and kids.

Today, this man that still drives his old landscape truck and sweeps gutters has a lawyer, engineer and a doctor children... Just listening to his pride over his kids is inspiring.

Do we live in a great country or what???
Great post. You gave several examples without insulting anyone.

I think Government has and will continue to exploit the poor and others that may have falling on hard times for their gain. Instead of trying to empower an individual who is struggling, we tend to make them victims.

Unless you have a mental or physical condition, you should be able to make a living in this country.

Cut off the TV, pick up book and learn how the free market system works and go make it happen.

Quit trying to keep up with the Joneses, because the Joneses are broke.

My Father who basically was an minority orphan at 4 years old managed to go to college, marry, raise 3 kids, land a great job, start and run his own business for 20 years while working his full time job, and work in the Church for over 40 years

There is a way!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM

9,025 posts, read 13,909,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Look, I don't care about your life or what you think of someone else's choices.

This is about the sick fantasy that someone making 14,500 and is a single mom is living a better life than a family making 60,000.

All I say is go live that life and tell us which one is better. There is no doubt in any sane person's mind which one is better and it is evil and sick to spread a lie that somehow single moms getting by on 14,500 are living as well or getting as much from the government as families making 60,000.
Well,I'm telling you I have lived that life,but unlike the person in your scenario,I actually got out,so to speak.

You still didn't answer the question.

Why can't the single Mom go back to school or work a second job to improve her situation?

Also,how to I get my hands on these middle class tax benefits?
Last I read,the child tax credit cutx off at a certain income. Its $75,000.
Not every middle class family owns a home.

And no,if I could help it,I wouldn't switch places with the single mom.
Why? Because all the hard work I did will go down the drain.
The thing for me is,after all the work I did,I still live in the same neighborhood with the single women that earn that amount. So really,our standards of living are the same.
The only thing that will get switched is that I would get to sleep anytime I want.
So really,I would have LESS STRESS than I do now.
Why? Because I know everything will get paid. No more being nervous over an engine breaking down,or my missing a paycheck because of a hurricane(Sandy).
Extra foodstamps because my food went bad.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,296,311 times
I'm poor and living beyond my means.

Luckily I live in a country where people like me are looked after.

I'm selling/losing my house as I can no longer afford it, I think I will have to live in a dumpster.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM

9,025 posts, read 13,909,567 times
Can someone please be kind and tell me the benefits middle class citizens receive from the goverment?

I know I don't receive the property tax credit,so what else is there?
I don't receive the child tax credit either,that's cuts off at 75,000.

They also can't be anything the rich and poor receive either.
I'm talking about something TRULY made for the middle class that the middle class recieves only.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM

475 posts, read 855,915 times
Money mangement...I make good money and have a small home a good credit. I know people who make 100k a year a couldn't finance a gumball. People who live below their means are generally happier and acquire more savings over time. Avoid the Range Rover and the 3 story brick House and you will not become a slave to debt. Most people now think that less is more.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,256,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
For any of us to trade places with a poor person,you would have to define "poor".

While you are at it,please define "working class".
While I think I might be of the working class(an Rn) but I make middle class income,and that's only because I'm working 2 jobs.
If you are working 2 jobs to live a middle class life, I'd say that's working class. Economically anyway.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,256,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Can someone please be kind and tell me the benefits middle class citizens receive from the goverment?

I know I don't receive the property tax credit,so what else is there?
I don't receive the child tax credit either,that's cuts off at 75,000.

They also can't be anything the rich and poor receive either.
I'm talking about something TRULY made for the middle class that the middle class recieves only.
Those are the middle class benefits. Middle class starts with home ownership. If you don't own a home, I'd have a hard time defining you as middle class. That's kind of where middle class beings. Owning one's home.

The rich (or upper middle class) have many more Tax breaks. People who don't work for other people, who have businesses or are professionals - doctors, lawyers etc. receive tremendous tax benefits. AND they own their own homes. At least one of them. More deductions.

The REALLY RICH are just fine. But they complain more than anyone I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance