Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To be fair, I think it's more the fact that the Phoenix and Houston metro populations have come on strong - let alone that each city proper is much bigger - than a significant drop in the Philly metros. And I suspect that Phoenix, which is suffering through one of the more challenging busts, may be slipping back down in the near future.
But again, Philadelphia shouldn't be as stagant as it is. The likes of Houston and Phoenix are growing becuase of smart policies and strong economies while Philly remains the same.

Anyway, I gave Philly it's props but as you can see it still didn't stop the flames from coming in.Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-20-2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: personal attacks - and responses to such are against the TOS. Please report the post or DM a moderator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,133 times
I wondered where the OP finally ended up moving to. Well, looks like all the negatives from the Negadelphians here () scared him away and he ended up moving to LA... at least that's what I surmise from doing a quick search of his postings. Good going, Negadelphians! lol

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 AM

388 posts, read 1,095,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke81 View Post
Hi! I am most probably going to move to the USA next summer to work thereas a German teacer, but I haven't yet chosen a city to go to. Philadelphia seems like a great place, and I heard so many good things about it, but on the other hand I also heard very negative things. Do the positive or the negative things prevail? I have some questions. Center City seems like a great place, but could you find an apartment there for about 900 Dollar a month? If not where could you find a place like that close to Center City, with good public transport? Wat is public transport like in Philadelphia?Can you live without a car? How liberal is the city, the more liberal the better Is the nghtlife ok, and are there a lot of people in my age (late 20s) who are fun and intelligent but no yuppies? How bad is the crime. In this forum I read some people complaining crime is horrible, others said it's like everywhere else and contained to certain areas. What about the weather. I can live with both heat and cold, but I really hate fog and overcast skies for weeks at a time (I had that now for 26 years in Austria from December to February..) Winter is fine, rain is fin, heat is fine, clouds are fine, but not for days or weks without seeing the sun. This is not a major argument though.
Thanks a lot in advance.

1. There is very little crime in the good neighborhoods and a ton of crime in the bad neighborhoods.

2. I think the nightlife is decent. I can always find something to do.

3. The mass transit system is adequate. If you lived in the city you could get by without a car.

4. If you lived in the city, I think you look into Manayunk, Northern Liberties, Bella Vista or Chestnut Hill.

5. If you want to teach then you probably should avoid most city school. Either look into the burbs or private schools.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoPhilly View Post
outsiders will never understand!!!! LOL
I definitely don't understand and after living here for 3 long years...as an outsider, I don't want to understand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia