U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 AM
 
347 posts, read 974,985 times
Reputation: 282

Advertisements

I never meant Springfield is a bad area to live. What I mean by overrated is that for the price, you can get a lot better. Some of Springfield homes/taxes are way too high for the area it's in/surrounded by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2013, 08:48 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I never meant Springfield is a bad area to live. What I mean by overrated is that for the price, you can get a lot better. Some of Springfield homes/taxes are way too high for the area it's in/surrounded by.
I'd argue Broomall is worse in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM
 
76 posts, read 171,544 times
Reputation: 38
Broomall is much more "suburban sprawl" than the majority of Springfield, IMO. Broomall is a part of the Marple-Newtown school district, however, which is decidedly better than Springfield's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
Broomall is much more "suburban sprawl" than the majority of Springfield, IMO. Broomall is a part of the Marple-Newtown school district, however, which is decidedly better than Springfield's.
Historically, maybe. In recent years, they're pretty much on par, at least as far as test scores go.

USC, Mt. Lebo top two scoring districts in state - Pittsburgh Business Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM
 
76 posts, read 171,544 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Historically, maybe. In recent years, they're pretty much on par, at least as far as test scores go.

USC, Mt. Lebo top two scoring districts in state - Pittsburgh Business Times
Wow, Heavenwood! I'm thoroughly surprised. That link isn't working on my phone- did Springfield SD improve or did Marple-Newtown SD get knocked down a few pegs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
Wow, Heavenwood! I'm thoroughly surprised. That link isn't working on my phone- did Springfield SD improve or did Marple-Newtown SD get knocked down a few pegs?
This year, Springfield's 63 and Marple-Newtown's 72; last year, Springfield was 65 and Marple-Newtown was 83.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM
 
36 posts, read 88,033 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
Broomall is much more "suburban sprawl" than the majority of Springfield, IMO.
I'd agree with this, or at least it feels that way.... I grew up and Springfield and currently live in Broomall... I think part of that comes with Springfield having the trolley running through it... things seems more "connected" and manageable to get around without a car.

That being said taxes are substantially lower in Broomall, and homes/neighborhood-wise I think you can get something comparable or even nicer for the same price. Also, school district wise it might as well be wash, despite what the rankings say your basically getting the same thing.

Last edited by dab13; 10-19-2013 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post
Also, school district wise it might as well be wash, despite what the rankings say your basically getting the same thing.
Despite what rankings say? They're only 9 spots apart. Given the state's 500 public school districts, a difference like that is hardly significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Reputation: 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'd argue Broomall is worse in that regard.

But Broomall's taxes are much lower, and I believe the school district is rated higher if that matters. I'm currently looking into broomall because my hometown of Springfield had a recent, obscene spike in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 AM
 
36 posts, read 88,033 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Despite what rankings say? They're only 9 spots apart. Given the state's 500 public school districts, a difference like that is hardly significant.
Thats what I'm saying... it's a wash... Marple SD and Springfield SD are on the same level.... more or less interchangeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top