Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I personally believe that the bathroom is nasty on 30th Station due to the fact that it is frequented by homeless people or people who are not supposed to be there in the first place.
This just in! The restrooms near the food court area have been completely renovated! It's very nice.... for now. They gate the area in the evening so maybe it will stay nice for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Penn Station is one of the most disgusting, cramped, overcrowded areas in all of New York. I feel like I need to be sanitized after every trip through there. If you think 30th Street Station is bad, just wait till you take a walk through Penn.
Been there lots of times... It was worse, if you can believe it, during the 80s when homeless people hung out in available seating that's been removed for non- ticketed Amtrak passengers. The NJT wing is better.

You all probably missed the "old/awful" Port Authority Terminal back in the day too. But, heck, that's located in Hell's Kitchen and it really was hell around there once upon a time.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Been there lots of times... It was worse, if you can believe it, during the 80s when homeless people hung out in available seating that's been removed for non- ticketed Amtrak passengers. The NJT wing is better.

You all probably missed the "old/awful" Port Authority Terminal back in the day too. But, heck, that's located in Hell's Kitchen and it really was hell around there once upon a time.
I've heard the horror stories from family who are native New Yorkers about how run down and sketchy it used to be there. Its hard to believe that Hell's Kitchen was once upon a time, actually that bad. Now its a completely gentrified mini-gayborhood and one of my favorite nightlife areas anywhere.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I've heard the horror stories from family who are native New Yorkers about how run down and sketchy it used to be there. Its hard to believe that Hell's Kitchen was once upon a time, actually that bad. Now its a completely gentrified mini-gayborhood and one of my favorite nightlife areas anywhere.
You have heard of the musical, West Side Story, I'm sure. Well, that took place in Hell's Kitchen/Tenderloin.

It WAS that bad... 8th Ave... 42nd St ! Times Sq! Phew.... Today it amazes me how different it is. The Hudson Yards complex which is already stunning....

Old 07-18-2016, 10:59 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its hard to get locals to appreciate the wonderful architecture you find in only a handful of large US cities, Philadelphia being one of them. I had a few friends realize after they lived in Florida for a year.
So many cities have terrible architecture. I have family that moved to Florida and they loath the number of strip malls and office parks that exist. They aren't from Philly, but even a rustbelt city like Rochester NY has much better architecture.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1582...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 07-19-2016, 07:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,844 times
Rochester has been transitioning from beautiful architecture to strip mall since that building was built (Eastman Theatre). There used to be life in rochester after dark but it all funnels out to the suburbs. Downtown is a ghost town after 6. There are some interesting examples of architecture here and there but for the most part, that one building you referenced is one of a very few.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Rochester has been transitioning from beautiful architecture to strip mall since that building was built (Eastman Theatre). There used to be life in rochester after dark but it all funnels out to the suburbs. Downtown is a ghost town after 6. There are some interesting examples of architecture here and there but for the most part, that one building you referenced is one of a very few.
Yeah, my point wasn't to say that Rochester is a city of great street life or of great modern architecture. The point was that at least it has the legacy of good architecture from its more prosperous years when good buildings were built. Florida cities don't even have that. Many are stuck with ONLY the strip malls and cheap modern look.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Since they're looking to heavily redevelop the area, then does it make sense for SEPTA to start planning new Regional Rail routes use the lower level north-south platforms? It didn't make much sense before since the vast majority of commuter employment were in the Center City stations, but with this it might make sense to operate additional lines that more directly travel through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia