Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 06:20 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oh, you were talking about Wegman's! Their home base is Rochester, NY.

Afaik, they only do suburbs in whatever metro they go to.

And, yes there has been a lot of discussion here about why they avoid cities or big cities.
Cross posts . But I can't think of a lot big enough to hold a store that big unless they go outside Center City. There's a huge empty lot at 48th and Spruce that could use some attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
I work for Wegman's and yes their aim is more expansion South. I know of no planned stores for PA. Their Distribution Center near me was to have another one built next door. That then it became a addition to the existing one in need of a bigger one.

Though its efficiency keeps increasing to support the stores. It reasons, a Southern location will gain now any new DC plans. Even Florida is on its radar for stores. Their produce is always the best they can purchase and #2 Top Company after Salesforce to work for.

100 Best Companies to Work For 2018

Old 08-01-2018, 02:48 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post

And regarding LIDL: I don’t have any inside information, but in the past couple of months, I’ve seen significant progress on the construction of the new store on MacDade Boulevard in Ridley Township. I noticed a “Coming Soon” banner installed a few weeks ago.
Thanks. It sounds like there will be a group of openings this fall.

I suggest checking the Lidl website for weekly sales to get a good idea of what to expect. I've seen a couple of Italian weeks & Greek weeks. Asian weeks are pretty good. Last fall there was a very interesting Middle Eastern week.

Aldi + Lidl at Christmastime is wonderful. Lidl had tons of LED Christmas lights.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
There have many discussions about why TJ's is lax about putting stores in this area. Southbound knows a lot about the grocery world so she might want to talk about it some more.
I'll try to get on that a bit later. I realize that I sometimes wander, geographically, on this topic, but right now there's a lot going on, on the east coast.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, you were talking about Wegman's! Their home base is Rochester, NY.

Afaik, they only do suburbs in whatever metro they go to.

And, yes there has been a lot of discussion here about why they avoid cities or big cities.
The 1st North Carolina store will be in Raleigh. They have a total of 4 sites in the area, but the 1st will be in the city limits. I think that there could be hope in Philadelphia, if they find the right site, near public transportation & build over their own parking garage.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:36 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Found this while confirming my new account Upcoming locations.

https://www.wegmans.com/about-us/***...locations.html
Hmmm.

Brooklyn Navy Yard.

If that's a possibility, I wouldn't rule out our seeing one within the Philadelphia city limits.

Perhaps at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Only problem with that site: access is poor and the residential portion of the redevelopment appears to be on indefinite hold.

(The Fannie Mae site in DC is in the upper northwest portion of the District, not its core, so I don't think of it as analogous to the Navy Yard given what the landscape along Wisconsin Avenue looks like. Still, it is in the District, so would be analogous to their announcing a store at, say, the Boulevard and Cottman Avenue.)

The Village at Valley Forge store has the distinction of being the only Wegmans I have seen to date that one can walk to from a nearby residence, thanks to how the Village is put together. In form, it looks like just another suburban mall surrounded by a parking lot from the nearby roads, but in function, the buildings in that island are arranged so that residences are close to the shops and offices. You could walk from the senior apartment community on one end, through the open-air shopping street, and come out on the other right next to the Wegmans.

Cherry Hill Township had the opportunity to do something like this with the old Garden State Park racetrack site, but blew it by siting everything to make walking between its various components difficult.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The 1st North Carolina store will be in Raleigh. They have a total of 4 sites in the area, but the 1st will be in the city limits. I think that there could be hope in Philadelphia, if they find the right site, near public transportation & build over their own parking garage.
DavePA says they don't plan anymore stores in PA right now.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Hmmm.

Brooklyn Navy Yard.

If that's a possibility, I wouldn't rule out our seeing one within the Philadelphia city limits.

Perhaps at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Only problem with that site: access is poor and the residential portion of the redevelopment appears to be on indefinite hold.

(The Fannie Mae site in DC is in the upper northwest portion of the District, not its core, so I don't think of it as analogous to the Navy Yard given what the landscape along Wisconsin Avenue looks like. Still, it is in the District, so would be analogous to their announcing a store at, say, the Boulevard and Cottman Avenue.)
There's still oodles of land in between the Vine St Exp and Spring Garden St. 2nd - 10th. Loft/Rail Park District.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:01 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
There's still oodles of land in between the Vine St Exp and Spring Garden St. 2nd - 10th. Loft/Rail Park District.
Wegmans seems to focus on high income areas (at least in our region). A Philadelphia location is tough, but I think the Disney hole, Broad & Washington, or somewhere on Western Market St would be a very good spot.

I know there is supposed to be a grocery store in the new towers at 23rd and Arch, that would be a fantastic spot, adding a great grocery store to a rather food barren stretch, and infusing tons of foot traffic.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wegmans seems to focus on high income areas (at least in our region). A Philadelphia location is tough, but I think the Disney hole, Broad & Washington, or somewhere on Western Market St would be a very good spot.

I know there is supposed to be a grocery store in the new towers at 23rd and Arch, that would be a fantastic spot, adding a great grocery store to a rather food barren stretch, and infusing tons of foot traffic.
Well, they need to do more research in Philadelphia and stop going with old views. There are million dollar homes for sale in Francisville right now. One was featured in a recent philly curbed article.

23rd and Arch will be under water when the next major storm/hurricane hits. It's already happened although few probably remember it. Anything built there needs to be on stilts. Putting a store on a ground floor, for instance, might be foolhardy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia